sla amps pull questiopn.

hi i have for the last year been using a 60v 1800 watt controller with a 12ah sla battery pack i have had no problems but i dont use full throttle alot probably half. my question is what amps can a 12ah sla pull ? its a 1c i understand but should this pack really work with my current controller at all ? what amps am i pulling from this pack ? regards and thanks

My guess is that you are pulling all the amps the batteries can provide. And then the volts start dropping. I'm sure the controller could provide more if the voltage didn't sag so much. My opinion would be that the 12 ah sla's are working really hard, and most likely would really prefer 1/2 throttle. At some point they sag till the wattage is much less than 1800.

Obviously a wattmeter or a Cycleanalyst is what you need to measure it, but a few other ways can do for a crude measurement.

One is a car amp meter. You can find them cheap at harbor freight. Hook it up into the red wire, and you will get a crude amp measurment while riding.

You can also calulate it, and get an average amps number. This involves riding till the batteries are pretty much 100% discharged and timing the ride. If it takes one hour, you are pulling 12 amps. 1/2 hour, you are pulling 24 amps. etc. My early esimates with my pingbattery using this method turned out suprisingly close to what I later measured with a CA.

Most SLA batteries that are 12AH or bigger are capable of at least 150 amp draws from what I've seen.

Fair enough, he didn't ask, what amps without significant sag? Just what amps. 150 amps from 12 ah slas would be fun, but short.

150 amps out of a 12ah sla? i don't believe it. Maybe it does while dropping 15 volts or something.

SLA sucks, don't waste your time on it. You'll get 6ah out of 12ah, it has intense voltage sag, doesn't last long, and weighs multiples more lbs than what lifepo4/lipo/etc weigh.

auraslip said:
SLAs are just a placeholder until you can justify the money to go lithium.

Yup. They are the gateway drug to lipo.. ;)

As for the original poster.. on topic, i have a 40a controller and 12ah batteries on a 24v currie bike. It sags VERY BADLY at low RPM and you can tell it is struggling to deliver the voltage. The battery indicator on the handlebar goes from 'full' to 'empty' until i hit 5mph, lol. If you are running 30a, you should be having a similar experience. You could be getting better acceleration/torque out of a better battery for sure.

okay thanks everyone for all your inputs. im thinking along the lines of 12ah 60v headways any comment on their delivery? cheers

Yup. They are the gateway drug to lipo.. ;)

Lipo is cocaine - short high, expensive, but damn what a high!
lifepo4 is methamphetamine - Not such a rush, but it gets the job done and lasts!

http://zjxhny.en.alibaba.com/ find the contact on this page and e-mail them directly. You'll probably talk to michelle or victoria. It seems sketchy because they don't have a web store, but it's much cheaper and the incidence of complaints seems less than bmsbattery or evassemble.

crimsonsnake0 said:
okay thanks everyone for all your inputs. im thinking along the lines of 12ah 60v headways any comment on their delivery? cheers

They are quite large, being cylindrical cells. Make sure they fit in your bike first!!
They are regarded as good value for the money. Good discharge rate for lifepo4 and long life.
Some people have had issues with the cell tabs rusting, that's the worst thing i can say about them.
Get ready to wire up a BMS and fork over some $$$ for the cells.
But it is possible that you can buy a pack pre-made. Not sure who is assembling them. Stay away from EV-Assemble if they are making headway packs.. :p

Ive pulled about 130A out of 12Ah SLA. The sag wasnt that bad. On a 60v SLA pack I discharge 5800w peak.

SLA can dump big amps, but the capacity they can deliver at these rates suffer greatly...

ie: those 12ah sla's are only giving you 6 ah or so of usable energy ( Peukert effect ), where lithium would deliver 11ah if you wanted it....

Not only does switching to lithium increase your range, but it also lightens the load ALOT...

My 100v 5 ah lipo pack weighs 7 lbs with the box, and delivers well over 3000w easily...

It was a long long time ago but i remember my 40 lbs 48v pack of lead... only thing it was good for was building upper body strenght while lugging them around !

They're not that much:

Hello,thanks for your mail.
The unit price for 48V12Ah is USD357.00/PCS (Include BMS and 3A charger)
Pls check it then give me a reply,Thanks ,
Haney
--
Zhejiang Xinghai Energy Technology Co., Ltd.
Tel:86-572-6765899
Fax:86-572-6128570
Mobile:86-13868251410
Q Q:623615295
MSN:zjxhny@hotmail.com
E-mail:wuhan8888@163.com /jack@xhnykj.cn
Add: Taihu Road Eco & Tec Development zone Changxing County Zhejiang, China

God I'll tell you though, it took 14 freakin emails just to get a price. And I'm still not sure if that includes shipping.

Best bet is to tell them, "I want to pay this much. I'll pay %5 for paypal as well. When can I send you the money?"

crimsonsnake0 said:
hi i have for the last year been using a 60v 1800 watt controller with a 12ah sla battery pack ..
..... my question is what amps can a 12ah sla pull ? ...

Well, with that controller, you are only going to "pull" 30A max, at any time.
If you dead short your 60V SLA pack...you would probably "pull" many hundred amps..but only for a few seconds ! :lol:

hi if you are saying my controller will only pull 30amps max then would a ping 15ah battery suit me ? thanks

crimsonsnake0 said:
hi if you are saying my controller will only pull 30amps max then would a ping 15ah battery suit me ? thanks

The continuous discharge rating for that battery is 15amps, so i would say no right off the bat. You probably run 20-25 continuous amps, so that's pushing it for sure.

It can do 30 amps, but that's for short bursts.
If you have any monster hills in your area, you will be drawing near or exactly 30 amps. That's maxing out the poor ping battery.

The more a ping is abused, the quicker it will age, and i have read that the internal resistance of a battery increases as it ages, so as it gets old, that terrible amp output will get even worse.

To put it simply, get a 20ah or just forget about ping altogether and buy a battery that can output some real power without voltage sagging as bad or even worse than SLA to deliver it to the controller!!

You could, but I consider the max controller for a 15 amp hour ping to be 25 amps. How your ride, the motor used, what winding, etc all play a factor. No 5303 motors on pings 15 ah batteries.

So a 20 ah ping would be better. I rode 2000 miles without damaging a 36v 20 ah ping using a 35 amp brushed controller on a WE kit. I didn't hold back any, rode full speed all the time, but also pedaled briskly all the way.

With a 15 ah and 30 amp controller, you'd be wanting to go easier on the starts, climbing steep hills, etc. Or use a CA to tone down the amps some. Or buy a 20 amp controller.

^--- listen to the man, he knows his pings :)

okay so im better off with 12or 16ah headways ? im okay at putting togeather the batts to make a pack but i have never wired a bms before can one be recommended to me from china ? america is no good to me here in uk as i would have to pay import tax etc. i was going to buy the cells from ev essemble and the bms from else where as i have heard alot of bms goes bad quick from them thanks.

Ping, and almost all the pouch lifepo4 cells, are a 1C battery. Meaning a 15ah battery should be good for 15 amps. While I do highly recommend ping (having had a great experince), If you want to pull 30 amps you'd need a 30ah or 25ah ping. Otherwise, the battey won't last long.

Have you considered nicad...I cant believe i said it..... Lower start up cost than ping. Can be abused. And should deliver 30A with similar performance as SLA.

Back