icharger 1010B+ to 8cell Lipo how?

Spacey

100 kW
Ok I'm totally confused, I bought the i1010B+ charger along with 4 x 5.8ah 8Cell Lipo. The balancing board that comes with it only goes up to 6cell even though the charger port has a 10 cell connector.

Anyhow I took out the cables from the Lipo's balancing connector and wired them up in the correct sequence so I could just plug it straight into the i1010B+ chargers 10cell balancing port.

Charger kept saying balancing cable error...any thoughts as to how I go about this as I can only find adapters for up to 6 cell and not 8 cell.

Here is a picture to better explain:

A: Original Lipo balancing 8 Cell plug
B: Moved the the balancing wires over to 10 cell balancing plug on charger (didn't work)
C: This came with charger but only goes up to 6 Cell
D: 10 Cell charging port on i1010B+ Charger

Is this the balance board you have with your charger?
1010Bplus(1).jpg

And one of these the batteries
T5800-8-25.jpg
T5800-8-25L35.jpg

I would have first tried to leave the original 9 pin plug on the battery complete and cut the little lug off the positive end to allow the plug to fit the iCharger socket directly, so the first, most negative wire from the pack connects to the first terminal of the charger.

Look at the markings on the charger to see if it is marked...
Anyhow I took out the cables from the Lipo's balancing connector and wired them up in the correct sequence so I could just plug it straight into the i1010B+ chargers 10cell balancing port.

That should have worked if you have the polarity all correct. I would suggest getting a multi meter out and checking the sequence of the balance leads again. Alternatively buy some 5 pin (4s plugs) and wire each balance lead with two 4 S plugs...remember the 5th wire on the first plug will also need to be the first wire on the second plug...so some soldering new wire and heat shrink will be required to split that middle wire.

Just seen your edit...so what did you do...the 'logical thing' negative lead to the LHS...positive to the RHS..?

Yep everything in your post I have. I just placed the voltmeter on the balancing leads and it looks like the first red lead on the Lipo is positive....oh...man I am so confused by all this.

Maybe it needs the positive wire at connector 10 and then work my way across from 1 to 8 with no 9 empty?

I would start with the negative lead being the first, so the black wire goes in the right-most hole, closest to the red main output and the back of the charger. the spaces will be after the final red wire.
looking at your picture again, you want to move all the wires along...you started wiring the new plug from the wrong end

I have the same charger, for anything other than 10S, I shave the positive side guide (is the little thing in the shape of an arrow) of the balance connector, and plug the connector starting at the negative side of the connector in the charger, and it work fine.

Here, this is what your connector should look like.

I photo-shopped your original

DSCI1294.jpg

or do what i said earlier and wineboyrider and andes both have re stated...wire with two plugs ( but that does mean an extra wire needs to be spliced into the yellow line...or just cut the lug off the positive end of the original plug

Nice one looks like I shall wire up that way......aprreciate all the help guys...damn confusing

My pack will be 4 of these Lipo Batteries 16S 2P for 66volts 12ah.....hopefully want to be able to charge them all as 1 great big 8S pack so as to just need 1 charger then rewire for riding.

Be back in 10 mins either happy or with KFF fingers :shock:

just to make sure a couple more pics

From This
from this.jpg
to this
to this.jpg

If you then want to charge all packs in parallel...I would buy some veroboard and 4 surface mount socket and solder up your own adapter board

Yes, Neil suggestion to use the 9 rightmost pins on the charger's balancer input, is what will work. Pins 10 and 11 (the leftmost two...) are left open. All of these chargers work the same way, where the connections start with pack negative being the first pin, followed by the plus connection of each cell in series. It then looks for what pins aren't connected to figure out the cell count. For example, for a 6s pack, only the first 7 pins are active, and pins 8, 9, 10 and 11 are empty.

-- Gary

Vero board

VeroBoard-strip.jpg

then as many of these as you have packs

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?vendor=0&keywords=B9B-X

B9B-XH-A(LF)(SN)_sml.jpg

fit the plugs to the vero board...components on other side to the copper tracks...check tracks for shorts between tracks...(Very bad)

and then wire and a plug to fit the charger

Excellent stuff...it all works perfectly :)

Now one other thing, if I have 2 of these 8 cell packs wired up in parallel, and the first cell on each pack are say 0.06Volts out/difference....how can the charge balance these 2 cells when it only knows the sum of voltage divided by 2? Do the 2 paralleled cells charge each other to and settle on the same voltage?

just that I will have this pack 2S 2P for my bike but will be charging 1S 4P?

Brilliant idea on the vero board stuff...will buy this week.

Vero board thing is just easier than using loads of wire...and neater

It is the same principle as Garys (tppacks) LVC/HV balancer board.

This should explain about the balancing of the cells in parallel

file.php

although some say it does not work like this...see this thread
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24863&p=366810#p366810.

Maybe once you disconnect the cells from being in parallel they change /loose voltage...but while they are connected...thy must all have the same voltage across them.....unless there are components or poor resistive connections in the wiring

When you connect two cells in parallel, they will equalize to the exact same voltage, period. Neil is right. From that point, they can be considered one larger cell. This is why I always parallel packs at the cell level, by connecting the balance plugs together. You just need to make sure the cells/packs are at close to the same SOC, or you might melt some pins on those JST-XH connectors.

One thing I do not recommend is trying to do a special parallel harness for charging all four packs at once. You will constantly end up plugging and unplugging these relatively weak JST-XH connectors. After awhile, the pins can easily become pushed/loose. Also, you would need to disconnect the main pack leads and parallel all of them as well. You may know this, but I want to be clear for others reading this, you cannot leave the main pack leads in their normal discharge series connection, and then just parallel the balance plugs to charge all the packs at the same time. Doing so will vaporise pins on the balance plugs, at a minimum. :shock:

-- Gary

Good advice, whilst I was aware it is good for others to see.

What I think I will do is just charge using the main positive and negative of the output wire on the Lipo packs and then balance charge each pack once a week. As the Lipo packs tend to stay pretty well balanced this should be fine?

I will get one of those 1 to 4 parallel charging leads like in the pic but with an extra 2 of them to make 1 to 4. This should be ok for quick charging at work? No need to balance until the end of the week.
601Bx601A-2PP.jpg

Hi!
I bought this icharger 1010B to charge 8s LiIon battary pack.
When everything is connected properly and I push START, icharger just reloads and does nothing. (in balance mode, in charge mode and in fast charge mode)
I also tried to charge 1S liIon and 3S liPo, but It doesn't want to charge.
But two things are work: discharging and monitor.
But I need to charge and balance, not to discharge.
Can anyone help me?

Back