$200 10ah LiPo4 Pack good deal??

matt889

10 mW
Heya check this out:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14613

If I did the math right this should be a 36v 10ah LiPo4 pack for 200 bucks, I'd love some input on if ya'll think its a good deal, the reviews are all solid for the packs online, perhaps ebikers can attest to their life-span though, in any case it seems like an awesome deal, let me know your thoughts!

That's a lithium polymer battery (LiPo), Not a lithium iron phosphate. (LiFePO4)

But the nano-tech LiPo's are amazing batteries, do a search on the forums and you can find all sorts of cool things people have done with them, one of the best you can buy at the moment.

The battery life is largely dependent on the DoD you put the battery through, so it can last anywhere from ~500 cycles if you are hard on it, to >1000 if you treat them gently.

But it isn't quite all fun and game, be sure you read the Care & Basic information for lithium polymer batteries, as well as the lipo noob thread.

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9170&start=0
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19956

As if you grievously mistreat these batteries they have a rather fiery failure mode.

Yes an awesome deal. But it depends on your needs, range, amps needed, charging when and where.

Personally my commuting needs are served well by a large size low c rate lifepo4. :mrgreen: But my after work fun needs are all done with lipo baby. :twisted:

I am buying a cycle analyst do i need to buy a BMS for my pack with these batteries? thanks in advance for the info.

for my needs.. 20-30km range, i'm in Vancouver BC so lots of hills, and some slight trail riding, no jumps. I want to add 2 or 4 more packs on later for a $400 20ah pack if I have good luck with the first pack.

matt889 said:
I am buying a cycle analyst do i need to buy a BMS for my pack with these batteries? thanks in advance for the info.

for my needs.. 20-30km range, i'm in Vancouver BC so lots of hills, and some slight trail riding, no jumps. I want to add 2 or 4 more packs on later for a $400 20ah pack if I have good luck with the first pack.
You just need something to warn you when the cell voltage gets to 3.6V (unloaded) so you can stop using the battery. I don't have anything on mine. I just guesstimate when mine is low and try and err on the high side. So far I haven't gone lower than 3.63V, and most times I'm around 3.83V. I know from my riding habits that when I reach 20 miles (32km) it's time to recharge. I use 5ah 15C Zippys in a 14s1p config. The cost of a 10s2p pack of those would be under $160 and should work fine. Still, $200 isn't bad either.

the regular non-nanotech lipo is even cheaper.
4 x 43 = $172

nanotech
4 x 56 = $224

You also pay China shipping ( $$$ ) on the nanotechs, but you can get the regular lipo from your local warehouse for much less shipping cost..

If you are running under 50 amps, the regular lipo will work very well for you and give you very low voltage sag.. maybe 1 volt? :)

Nanotech is better because it sustains higher voltages, thus contains more energy.. but you do pay a premium for that.

BTW if you are running 10s, definitely pick up the iCharger 1010b+.. if you wait a bit on the hobbyking product page for it, you can pick that sucker up for $121.

You can monitor the batteries with a few cellog 8's or cheap buzzers for extra knowledge of each cells voltage. But I wouldn't get too worried if things look normal on the CA. It's real good though, if using just the CA, to know for sure that all the batts have full charge when you start. Mix em up and put in one discharged one, and it's a disaster.

Back