batteries for motorhome

rcotteleer

100 µW
I have a motorhome and the "House" Batteries ( those that supply power to the living quarters of the motorhome) are on their last legs. I would like to replace them with a more rubust solution than the flooded Lead NAPA brand that is in there now. There is only room for a pair of group 31's. Does the board have a recommendation for a more robust solution? These batteries lead a pretty difficult life, frequent deep discharges followed by long periods (after recharging) of inactivity. Obviously capacity is important. I don't mind spending up for better construction, but the infrastructure will really only support a lead acid solution. Any recommendations for type (AGM, SLA or Flooded) and brand/construction? I know not a EV question per se, but there is more battery knowledge here than most places.

Thanks,

Randy

I have just replaced the house batteries in my RV with free 4 X 45A deep discharge units for mobility scooters. I'm very happy with them. Many people with these scooters get free batteries every year under various gov. programs.
My first choice would be T-105 or T-205 if you have the vertical space. You can sometimes find "blemished" batteries, with a case imperfection at very low price. $45 from Sam's Club.
http://www.thesolar.biz/Trojan_batteries.htm

I just bought some crown deep cycles, wasn't much more than the "marine" 50/50 starter/deep designed ones.. like your Napas probably were. A little more, but not as bad as I was thinking. From what I understand they are much better suited to the type of use you are describing. There are a few other brands that do the same kind of flooded deep cycles too.

I just use the standard lead acid batteries supplied for the purpose and they last for years. They look exactly like normal vehicle batteries but they are slightly different and not designed to deliver starter motor currents.

As you say, you've got to stick with lead acid as they are charged the same way as the vehicle battery. It would be a lot of work to change to a different chemistry.

Nick

Thanks for the responses, I pulled the cover off of the battery compartment and found not group 31's, but 24's. I can't fit 31's let alone t-105's. However I was at SAMs club this evening and the have group 27's with 115 ah for $69. And a 1/3 warranty. That will give me ~80% more capacity (+100 ah) than when the motorhome was new!

Back