Can I get opinions on this charger?

StudEbiker

100 kW
http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcharger6afor384v12cellslifepo4batterypack110vonlystandardfemaletamiyaplug.aspx

I would be using it to charge my 10ah Headway pack with Signalab BMS. Eventually I am going to get a 20ah A123 pack. Is there any concerns with charging too fast? I noticed that batteryspace has a 5a charger that is more expensive than this 6a charger, do you think the quality on this charger is good? Do you know of a better deal on a charger somewhere? I accidentally reversed polarity on my old Hightek workhorse charger that I got with my first kit today. The thing always rattled like a kids toy, but it just kept on going till I got distracted and in a hurry today and killed it. :cry:

the signalab doesn't like to push a lot of current during charging it seems. 5A may be enuff. the charging mosfet gets pretty hot sometimes.

maybe the old charger can be reborn. i assume the output caps blew up so you could just replace them and use it again.

@ dnum, nothing actually "blew" on the charger. It just went dead and hasn't come back on yet. I'll take a look at it, but there wasn't any magic smoke, it just lost power.

@Hillhater, I guess I'll need to get one less than 5a because of the BMS, but thanks for looking. Some of the other ones from them looks good, but I needed to find one stateside since the old one was the only charger I had and I depend on the bike for transportation.

I've charged at 10A through a V1 signalab bms with no problems, after replacing the charge fet with an IRFB4110.

How's your soldering? PM me your address and I'll mail you one.

I use that exact charger myself except the 48V version. I don't have a signalab bms though. The charger quality has been good so far. But it's a bit odd. It says the voltage goes up to 59.2 but then I've monitored it during charging and it hits the constant voltage at 57.2 and then shuts off. Then a little bit later it turns back on and goes a bit higher. Then shuts off. Then a little bit later will turns back on. It's charged one of my batteries up to 60V but that was after I left it plugged in for at least 48 hours solid. Overall though it does it's job but don't leave it plugged in too long. Unless I got a weird charger.

I believe an equivalent kingpower ( 5a ) can be had for $35 + china shipping on evassemble or bmsbattery.

Back