Headway 48v16ah pack charging question

1of3

10 W
As compared to the AGM 18ah I started with this DIY Headway pack is awesome.

Only ride about 1 1/2 miles round trip a day.

BMS may cut the output about every 10-12 days.

AGM batteries died at half the trip after 16 months. Charged after every trip.

Pedal some, just for looks. LOL

I have been waiting until BMS shuts down output to then charge.

Is this OK for longevity, or should I charge at a given voltage.? Or every (daily) trip.

Cut out is around 51volt, off full charge is just above 55volt. (If I remember right.)

Thanks.

ps. longevity of cells, therefore pack is only concern. 32 mph on a bicycle is plenty fast for me on these local streets.

you should not run the pack down to LVC unless by accident. your charger should charge the pack to 16 x 3.65V or 58.4V.

if it does not, start your analysis by measuring the cell voltages as it is charging and start keeping a list of the cell voltages so you can diagnose when it goes bad.

measure the open voltage of the charger. if it is a headway charger, it should show 0V when not plugged into the pack. so you would have to just keep charging until it reaches full voltage. measure while charging.

measure the open voltage of the charger. if it is a headway charger, it should show 0V when not plugged into the pack. so you would have to just keep charging until it reaches full voltage. measure while charging.

So, straight off the charger leads the digital volt meter measurement.?

And then at full charge of the pack, that voltage should be the same.?

Thanks.

you should not run the pack down to LVC unless by accident. your charger should charge the pack to 16 x 3.65V or 58.4V.

Sorry, I just plug & play. It is utility to me.

I will jot down/post specs next time I ask for advise.

Thanks.

1of3 said:

Sorry, I just plug & play. It is utility to me.

I will jot down/post specs next time I ask for advise.

Thanks.

Come on.... Don't ya all just love that kitty in the window..?

Pumpkin...gone, but not for gotten.

Do not drain battery to cut off lvc if used every day charge when half discharge for long battery life. discharging to lvc will shorten life.

i thought you had asked a question originally and needed help to understand how your headway pack worked.

i realized after that i had no idea whether you had a headway pack with a headway BMS or headway charger and you likely don't know either.

but for those who do, the headway BMS will balance each cell to exactly 3.65V so the fully charged voltage is 58.4V and if it doesn't reach that point, it is not fully charged.

dnmun said:
but for those who do, the headway BMS will balance each cell to exactly 3.65V so the fully charged voltage is 58.4V and if it doesn't reach that point, it is not fully charged.

Yea sorry, I just plug & play. It is utility for me.

I have Trek 8000 MTB bike, may travel 1 1/2 miles each day, with 1kw, 48volt hub motor.

I bought a DIY Headway pack from EV Assembles, soldered all connections, 16 cells with BMS.

I will post actual digital readings for charger output, prior to charge & after charge.

Am sorry for being incomplete. Like I posted before, compared to AGM, I am just so pleased with Headway LifePo4.

Just an ole retired bricklayer.

Back