Nano-tech 6s 8000mah (USA)

gensem

100 kW
I guess turnigy is feeling that ebikes worth it (zippy is probably selling alot of thoses 8ah packs)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__21431__Turnigy_nano_tech_8000mAh_6S_25_50C_Lipo_Pack_USA_Warehouse_.html

Hoping for higher C big packs soon.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__20647__ZIPPY_Flightmax_8000mAh_6S1P_30C_USA_Warehouse_.html

Cheaper and almost the same weight, 30C is perfect for E-bikes 2P at 30C, that's 480 amps! for 88 Dollars for the Turnigy after you let it sit on the site for a while. I didn't notice the Zippy going down in price even having the page open 5 mins!

Pity we can't get any batteries at the U.S prices from Euro warehouses!

Scorpion we all knew about the zippys, they are available for a while... the thing is turnigy nano-tech is now another choice.

man, makes me want to ditch my headway pack and get some.... maybe I'll hold out for 10Ah cells (if they ever decide to make em).

frodus said:
man, makes me want to ditch my headway pack and get some.... maybe I'll hold out for 10Ah cells (if they ever decide to make em).

Just make a 30lb booster pack for those long range trips, thats what I'd do with these bad boys. And yes once 10Ah cells come around, the game will be changed and its Nanotech or nothing for me haha. If you notice these packs have 160Wh/kg (6*3.7V*8Ah / 1.111kg). makes me think the cells are close to 170Wh/kg :D

Nuts&Volts said:
And the Nanotech should have a longer cycle life and has a higher energy density.

I think I'll order a pack to play around with...

Should.... where's the proof though? I haven't seen any yet.
I think really, any high discharge pack is going to have a longer cycle life in an RC application where it's overspecced, and normally something like a 20C lipo will die far sooner than 300 cycles due to user abuse.

The discharge curve is exactly the same on the nanotech as the 20-40C stuff, so more watt-hours can only come out of the battery if you're overloading the 20C-40C battery and getting sag.

All i'm saying is take these claims with a grain of salt. I am still not sold on the idea that these are worth the extra money.

BTW, 30C 8AH lipo will output 8 x 30 = 240 amps. Cut that down to 1/4th - about 60 amps - and you'll maybe see a volt or two of sag at peak draw? that's not too bad!

run 2p; 16AH and you'll cut that voltage sag number into half..

I could see nanotech as being good stuff if you're drag racing or just doing really intensely fast, amp hungry short-distance trips with a limited amount of AH.

Neptronix... I was not saying nano tech were a game changer for ebikes or had no sag at all... its just good to have competition on the 8ah league.
Btw I dont even know how a battery can put 200 amp continuos and 400 amps peaks using a 90amp rated connector (HXT 4mm)?
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm only responding to what nuts & volts said.

Yes, i would say the connectors and wires are probably pretty underrated.

gensem said:
Scorpion we all knew about the zippys, they are available for a while... the thing is turnigy nano-tech is now another choice.

Yeah I am aware, however I was making the point the zippy's are just as good for bikes and cheaper! :)

apart from a higher volatage throughout the discharge curve leading to slightly more w/h coming out compared to say a 20-30C normal lipo, i have also not seen any evidence that they are any better in cycle life than any other lipo. What also remains to be seen is how many cycles the average lipo can get when USED CONSERVATIVELY in an ebike application. Saying 150-300 cycles is not conclusive as we generally use them much more conservatively and with less DOD than in the RC world.

Hopefully more people than myself will be keeping track of the cycles they put on the lipo so maybe in 1-3 years we will know how they last with conservative useage.

Just ordered a 6s pack today. Going to remove one cell and test it out. Maybe even try to cycle test it if I can find a good way to do this or someone willing to help.

The pack came in and all cells are very well matched. Cycled the entire pack at 0.5C once just to test the cells. The pack did come in overweight thou at 1170grams not the 1111grams that is stated. The dimensions were pretty much right on. Once I had some intial testing I started tearing the pack apart. Cutting the shrinkwrap off and then the plastic wrap around piece I discovered 2 very interesting things...these batteries have tabs on opposite ends and the tabs were welded together not soldered. I havent heard of any other Turnigy cells or even RC LiPo cells sharing these properties. Note the end cells are still soldered to the wire.

2011-12-15_17-26-58_440.jpg

2011-12-16_13-08-52_422.jpg

2011-12-16_13-30-30_646.jpg

I thought this was going to be a problem with getting a single cell separated from the rest. However the welds are pretty bad and one tab just popped off. A single cell weighed ~185g (+-2.5g). At 3.7V * 8Ah, puts the cells at 160Wh/kg theoretically. Using a Powerlab8 I have cycled the battery twice @1C @22degreesC from 4.2V to 3.0V LVC and was able to get 7.335Ah average, voltage popped back up to 3.175 however so some capacity was left (is it proper to discharge until resting voltage is 3.0V??). I need to perform this test with a PC connected so that I can measure voltage as well to get a Wh rating at 1C. I will also heat the cells up a little bit to determine if they deliver anymore capacity at high temps.

Other data, at 1C 4.2V to 3.5V LVC gave 7.042Ah (resting voltage 3.529V)
2 cycles at 1C, 4.15V to 3.6V LVC gave 6.500Ah (3.65V resting). So over 80% capacity at very stable voltage levels is good.

Internal resistance was measured as being between 1.2 and 1.8mOhm on each cell during full pack charging.

PL8 is being used on another project to balance charge a very large pack. I will report more capacity, Ri, and cycle testing as I have time for them.

Few more pics here http://s194.photobucket.com/albums/z160/buckboom00/

nice review! Good to know that you are getting only 80% if you go from 4.15V to 3.65V

thanks a lot for the data.

That's both interesting, and horrible in regards to the construction. I wonder if all the 8AH packs are designed like that.
Other people have complained about only getting ~7AH out of those packs, but they were talking about the zippies.

That's quite bad for a 1C test.
'spose the love affair with the 8AH units is over for me.

neptronix said:
thanks a lot for the data.

That's both interesting, and horrible in regards to the construction. I wonder if all the 8AH packs are designed like that.
Other people have complained about only getting ~7AH out of those packs, but they were talking about the zippies.

That's quite bad for a 1C test.
'spose the love affair with the 8AH units is over for me.

Yea, I'm somewhat in the same boat. However I am using these for electric motorcycles and not bicycles so just the idea of having LiPo in a larger form factor makes me happy. Also 80% "rated" capacity at what I consider 80%DOD (4.15V to 3.6V) is reasonable. A couple of things to keep in mind, 1.) cells could still deliver higher Wh with a higher loaded voltage 2.) cells may offer less capacity loss at higher C rates 3.) The cell quality is definitely higher 4.) a few more cycles and higher temps could perk the cells up...

I just removed another cell from the pack and plan to run a few discharges with it as well. Tab was welded better and required a lot more force to pull off. Cell weighed the same as the first.

Wish I hadn't sold all my 20C turnigy so I had something to normalize my test setup. I may buy some individual cell/others to test down the road...

PS - what info would be better cycle testing at 100%DOD (4.2 to 3.0LVC) or ~80%DOD (4.15V to 3.6LVC)? Will be done at 1C, somewhat temperature controlled and between 300-500cycles in 5-8 cycle increments. Not lab data, but controlled and logged so gotta be worth something

I've not had any of my 20C turnigy or zippy packs perk up after a few cycles. They would typically deliver 5.1-5.2AH from the get go on a 1C discharge.

But these might be different beasts.
I'd like to see a discharge curve of these if you can produce one with your equipment. I've noticed that 25-90C nano-tech and regular ol' zippy/turnigy batteries have the same exact discharge curves, not showing a higher watt-hour value. Now if you are running a small parallel pack and beating the crap out of it, then that's another story. But if you have an appropriate amount of AH, you'll get super minimal sag out of the 20C.. i get 0.75V of sag across 10S of 20AH 20C while discharging at like 2C peak, lol...

Anyway i'd like to see if your test proves that these do better. I also want the large format really badly. So bad that i just purchases some '10AH' crap from a jerky Chinese company and got screwed out of $$..

big parallel groups of 5AH suck.

Thanks for the perspective on the 5Ah capacity at 1C. I expect the higher temps to be the only thing to really increase the capacity some.

I will have discharge curve soon. I figured out the software and got a computer dedicated for the testing so I may be able to get a 1C discharge curve tomorrow.

My last thing I'm holding on too about these cells is that these are the very first release of these cells. Maybe the next batch will be better... haha I can always hope :D

Nuts&Volts said:
Thanks for the perspective on the 5Ah capacity at 1C. I expect the higher temps to be the only thing to really increase the capacity some.

I will have discharge curve soon. I figured out the software and got a computer dedicated for the testing so I may be able to get a 1C discharge curve tomorrow.

My last thing I'm holding on too about these cells is that these are the very first release of these cells. Maybe the next batch will be better... haha I can always hope :D

Hay nuts@volts im interested in these, how have they performed for you. Edit or anyone with these

Back