I'm helping a friend of a friend- you know how it goes!
His charger died and he asked me to look at it. It's an EMC 180w 8s lifepo charger. A high voltage power transistor is blown (cracked and smoked see pics). I'm going to order in a new part and tryfor the repair.
A few q's.
There is no other obvious damage ( I can't test it until I replace the part cause it blows the input fuse) is it likely to have destroyed more with its demise? Anything else I need to know other than trial and error.
I'm wondering if it has something to do with his charging habits. When he charges, he puts it on a 6hr timer and leaves the premises for a few days ( golf club) to come back to a full battery. Plays golf, charges, leaves etc
Is leaving this type of charger connected to the battery, but off ( remember timer) OK?
There is no relay on the output and the output fuse is fine. I thought this practice would cause DC side damage if any.
Hopefully some more experienced souls can share their wisdom