My shocking charger

jla

100 µW
I recently purchased a new Icharger 106b+ from progressiverc and whenever I use it shocks me whenever I touch it. One obvious solution is to not touch the charger, but since the buttons are on the face it is hard to avoid touching the metal body. I thought it was because I was using it to parallel charge 6 of my 4s 5amp lipos and it was drawing alot of power, but even when charging one individual battery it still shocks me. This shock only happens when charging/discharging and it is more of an irritating/slightly painful tingle than a death zap. I'm worried that this shock might get more violent over time. I also power it with a 350w 14v 25amp psu if that makes a difference.

Is this normal?Has anyone experienced this same type of problem? Is this perhaps a short in the circuitry? What are your thoughts and advice?

Depending on how sweaty your fingers are, even 24 volts can give a tingle. But it sounds like yours are a bit more than this. It could be some kind of induction effect like when you switch an electromagnetic coil off, the resulting field collapse can send a ~60 volt pulse down the line. I also get shocks when I balance charge my packs on my electric motorbike, but then again, I get electric shocks from this bike all the time. It's some kind of capacitive thing :? Either way it's not good. Tried taking it back to the shop for a replacement?

My guess is that the PSU may be the problem, not the charger. It seems possible that the PSU may have a fault that's making the low voltage output terminals float at around the supply voltage, which is potentially pretty dangerous. To check, put a meter between your household supply ground and the PSU output, with the meter switched to a suitable AC range for your countries supply. You shouldn't see any voltage at all during this test, if you do then it shows a lack of isolation in the PSU that needs to be fixed.

Back