Charger replacement

I am 100% dependent on my bike for transportation and my charger bailed on me last night.
It is Fuyuang "switching power supply" model: FY4502500. Input 100-240VAC 50/60Hz 2A. Output: 45VDC 2.5A, with led going green <300mA. This provides power for my crystalyte 408/4011 running with 36V 10/Ah battery.
When I plug the charger in there is a noticeable clicking noise that wasn't there before, the led does not light and a volt meter shows no current on the discharge. Upon removing the cover there is a burnt odor. inside the plastic cover there is an additional metal two piece casing that is soldered to the perimeter of the board not allow clear visual of the components.
I am desperate to have my bike back on the road ASAP (yesterday)LOL. Having difficulty locating a charger putting out the 45 volts. Really don't want to limit to 36V if the system handles the 45. Think my cutoff is not far below that and already have restrictions for my needs at the 45V charge. Eventually I will upgrade to 48/20 or 60/20 unless I learn enough to build my own where I would likely end up somewhere in between. Unfortunately that's a little down the road due to budget.
My questions
Does anyone think this may be a fixable issue?
If I purchase a 48V charger, will the BMS prevent over charging past the previous 45V?
Where can I get another 45VDC charger without depending on lengthy shipping periods from China. (without spending a fortune too)
Is there an alternative method of getting charge into the batt until a replacement arrives?
As I mentioned I am dependent on this bike as primary transportation averaging approx. 125 miles weekly. It's served me very well racking up in excess of 4000 miles in past months,My fault for not planning better for a situation like this, but now I'm stuck and need to find a way ASAP.
Thanks for reading...

you do not have a 48V battery. it is a 36V lifepo4 pack which charges up to almost 45V.

you will want a 36V lifepo4 charger, not 48V.

if you wanna repair that charger, open it up and take a picture of what broke.

Thanks for responding so promptly. It took alittle work to get the metal casing off, but here is the inside pic. Not very noticeable in the pic but appears as though whatever the item is in the lower left corner with the philips head indent is melted also affecting the two blueish resistors to it's upper left
charger 3.jpgcharger 2.jpg

Here is a closer look at the area I'm noticing possible problem. Everything else looks OK. But I don't know much about theseIMAG0024 (2).jpg

this is why it's best to have a backup

unless you can get it repaired-
you might have to order something locally and hope to get it quick

personally
i prefer a server power supply /dell/HP/etc - mod it externally with a jumper
150W to 600W DC to DC convertor to adjust the voltage to your liking
ebay has tons of this stuff-
you can't beat a good server power supply

i cannot make out a thing in your picture. that cermet adjusts the output voltage. when you say bluish resistors, i cannot make out any blue resistors. just some ceramic caps that are blue.

westernshooter said:
ppears as though whatever the item is in the lower left corner with the philips head indent is melted also affecting the two blueish resistors to it's upper left
The pic is far too dark and blurry to tell for sure, but I expect that whatever looks "melted" is probably just the glue often used to keep the potentiometer from being turned, and/or silicone or other glue used to keep parts from vibrating and breaking off the boards.

For now, just go to ebay, or batteryspace or such and look for a charger that will ship to you fast, like one from a seller in your country. (USA?) No wait for china ship.

Look for a 36v lithium charger. In a pinch, you could even use a 36v sla charger. Just get anything you can get your hands on fast, then look at fixing the old one, or getting another backup charger.

One example, you could have by the weekend.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-36V-Scooter-Battery-Charger-Razor-MX500-MX650-/350269731246?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item518db3f1ae

Thanks for all the feedback. i did order a 36v replacement. not sure what to do about this one.
Just waiting on delivery. Looks like Saturday.
Was going to go with davec recommendation on the dc to dc step-up, but even that, I can;t find locally.

if it is for a 36V lifepo4 battery it should put out 45V. a 36V SLA charger does not put out as much voltage, and you need it to make the pack balance.

you can try taking better pictures too and examine it yourself in order to fix this one. then you will have two.

Where is the great out west ? Where do you live ? Nothing is out west from where I live. Except the far east.
Buy a new one and get going then fix the old one and have a spare.
Dogman 14.56 free shipping and 1.5a lets get going.

Hey ya Guys.
My Charger for my 48V Ping Battery 15AH I think has finally died and I'm in rush to get a replacement so I can get back on the road. I should of had a back-up.. err.. I try to buy everything in sets of 2 when it comes to Ebikes now! 8) haha..
Where could I get a high quality charger that would charge my Ping Battery 48v 15AH? Are the ebay ones any good? If it has the wrong connection can I just cut the connection off my old charger and solder it onto my new chargers cord?
Any advice on replacing chargers for my type of battery would be very much appreciated. I'm in AUS. Any good Ebay charger links or another site's link that has what I'm looking for would be very much appreciated. I don't want to buy some thing that's just not going to work or going to kill my battery. :mrgreen: .

It's a cheap run of the mill charger from PapaMotors. It's a 2AH charger made for a 48v Ping Batt.
I know it's broken because when I plug it in, the fan doesn't come on and the LED doesn't come on either to indicate that it's plugged in.
The other Red LED comes on when I connect it to the batt. But not when I connect it to the power source.
It has one of the Mic connectors for the batt end.
I checked with a voltmeter if the cord was supplying power. It is. Just it doesn't send out power to other end.
I opened up the thing and checked the board for any loose wires or obvious burn marks or defects. Everything looked fine from above. Couldn't get a look underneath the board because it was stuck in there with Black Silicosis Glue and didn't want to break anything worse by ripping it out.
One thing that I think may of lead to the chargers demise is: I dropped it about a month ago and the fan started making a harsher wizzing noise during start-up. Only from ONE DROP! Guess that's all it takes.
Now just the other day when I came home and tried to plug it in.. Nothing.. Checked it again the next day to see if I could fix it. No avail.. Can't even see what's wrong with it in the first place.
Any one else who has a Ping Batt 48v? What charger do you guys use to get the job done?
Thanks again!

i have a 3A headway charger i am using on a battery i just built from scrap pouches.

i have used the 2A pings for a long time too.

to stop the squealing noise from the fan, you can add a drop of oil in the center under the circular adhesive cover on the end of the shaft. peel it up on one side and add a drop or two in the center on the shaft but keep the oil off of the adhesive so you can stick it back down.

silicone type oil is best but i use the 3in1 stuff, but i think it has a fuse soldered onto the pcb right behind where the AC plug is. it is standing up on end behind the place the AC cord plugs in.

you can use your voltmer to check continuity by measuring from one end of the fuse to the other. just put the voltmeter probes right on the metal end caps of the fuse.

Ping sells a alumiun case 5a charger that last a long time for a lot of E.S. users. I turned my up to 72v for a different pack and still works fine and it does have a fuse. 2a is agood back up but 5a is great.

Checked the Fuse. It's fine. I checked it with a Voltmeter to test its continuity, that fine and it looks okay as well.
I even opened up the box and checked for any burnt marks on the circuit board. None there and no loose wires.

My options are 1. to buy a new charger from Papamotor. A 5A 48v made for the Ping Batt. Which is the batt I have.
http://www.electric-bikekit.com/48v-lifepo4-battery-pack-pingbattery/48-volt-5-amp-lifepo4-battery-charger-pingbattery/
For $63.41 + $33.62 (Fixed shipping cost) supposedly.. Sounds a bit much hey?

2. Find one on Ebay and make it work by install my own connection? Not sure what kinda connections the EBay ones have. I'm a bit in the Dark about Li-ion Batt Chargers.

3. See if PapaMotor will send me a free one as a replacement. Which they might do. Find out 2 days from now, on Mon. They're always sending me free replacement parts which I apprentice and customer service and support is awesome. I just wish they would supply better parts. I've had to replace or upgrade almost every part they Sold Me!!

4. Send back my broke charger to PapaMotor and they said they might be able to fix it for free. I just pay shipping.

In the end.. I'd like to end up with 2 chargers outta this ordeal. Always good have back up parts when it comes to EBikes hey.

So my questions are:

1. Can I use an ebay charger for 48V Ping Batt? Will I have to change the connection? Has anyone every bought one off Ebay and had success? Are any of them good quality? Any reviews or incites would be very much appreciated.

2. Where can I buy a 48V Ping Batt Charger for a good price? Can I buy one cheaper than the ones PapaMotor is offering?

I never disappear BTW. I'm subscribe to the forums and posts I'm active in. Just got to find the right part of the day to get time to comment back.

Thanks again Guys.
-RR

What I ended up doing was: Contacted PapaMotor. They were VERY NICE to send me a new replacement 48V 2A charger. I just have to Pay the $25 shipping. They were very nice to do it because it was outta warranty. Charger lasted 6 months.

And I ordered one Direct from Mr Ping. The maker the Ping Batts. I order a 48v 5A from him for $75 + $25 Shipping. Always good to have back ups and a quicker charger in case I'm in a hurry to go out again.

Only prob was the timing of both my orders.. China is celebrating their "Chinese New Year". And shipping company's are closed down till the 18th of Feb. Another 11 days from now. And that's before it even gets Shipped! Then I'm going to have to wait till it gets here. Guess I'm outta luck for a while.

Would still like a review on the EBay Chargers if anyone's bought one. The are cheaper than the ones PapaMotor or Mr Ping sells.

Thanks again guys.

like i said before, we cannot make out anything in your pictures. if you can give us better pictures to look at we might be able to help. but first thing would be to inspect the fuse and see if it has blown. then you don't have to wait until march.

Back