Info on Laptop 18650 LiCo cells

SamTexas

1 MW
I'm beginning to see some interest in using laptop LiCo cells. Although relevant and useful info are available, they are scattered and sometimes mixed with incorrect info and/or speculations.

I have played with, tested and used laptop cells for almost two years now. I have built over 5KWh of various size packs to be used on ebikes, escooter, etricycle, wheelchairs, mobility scooter, headlight, flashlight, car battery booster pack.

The information I provide in the next two posts are actual data I have personally gathered in the past two years. The object of this thread is to provide interested members with one centralized location for info on laptop cells.

This and the next two posts will be updated as needed.
Sam

Page 1 of 2

Laptop LiCo are mostly cylindrical cells in the 18650 format. 18mm is the diameter and 65mm is the height of the cylinder. As the name implies, laptop cells are found mostly in laptop computers.

Dell 53wh battery.jpg
Most laptop batteries consist of 6 individual cells like the Dell battery shown above. When new, those 6 cells provide 53Wh of energy and weigh less than 0.7lbs. 10 of those packs would make a 0.53Kwh pack weighing less than 7lbs. The pack in the above picture is at least 5 years old. Today's latest laptop cell (Panasonic 3.4Ah) has 50% more energy.

Laptop batteries are NOT for you: Different people need different battery.
- If you use up (deplete) or plan to use up all the battery energy in less than 60 minutes, move on. Laptop batteries are not for you. You need batteries that can sustain 4C or higher discharge rate like RC LiCo or A123 LiFePO4.

- If your runtime is 1 to 2 hours, laptop batteries MIGHT work for you. You are within the cell's operating parameter but closer to its limit. Your battery will be warm (almost hot) most of the time. It will most likely have a shorter life (300 cycles? as opposed to 500+). Common LiFePO4 with an actual minimum 1C continuous discharge rate is probably a better fit for your need.

- Great, you are still here. So you plan to have a battery runtime of more than 2 hours. In other words, your average discharge rate is 0.5C or less. Laptop cell is ideal for this operating mode because it allows one to build the lightest (weight) and the most compact (volume) battery. Laptop 18650 LiCo cell has been and still is the cell with the highest energy density for at least 5 years now, and by a respectable margin. And thanks to the small size of each individual cell, the battery pack can be built into almost any shape, making it easier to fit the irregular empty spaces on a bicycle.

Discharge rates
No, it does not mean that the discharge rate is limited to 0.5C. It can be higher, much higher but for only a short period of time. Let's say we have a 51.8V, 1,000Wh battery [made by stringing (connected in series) 14 groups of cells, 12lbs if made with new 2.4Ah cells, 8lbs if made with the latest 3.4Ah cells.]

0.5C means 500W (1,000/2) power. You can draw 500W indefinitely (actually 2 hrs) and the cells will not get hot.
You can draw 1,000W (1C) without any worry for about 10 minutes. After that, you need to back down to 500W and stay there for at least 15 mins.
How about 2C or 2,000W? Not a problem for a short period of time, say up to 60 seconds. This is usually needed for the quickest acceleration from stop. Usually this demanding power burst only lasts a few seconds (5?) to get you up to cruising speed. Once there, power drops significantly.

On the bench at home, I have repeatedly tested 4C draw many times, 10 secs at a time followed by about 2 minutes rest. I have no intention to ever use the battery that way on my ebikes but it nice to know that I can if needed.

Maximum and minimum voltages
The highest voltage recommended by manufacturers is 4.20V +/- 0.05V. Common wisdom says that 4.10V should be the max for extended life. I have no way to prove or disprove that wisdom. What I know is that about 4% to 7% of the total energy resides in that 4.10 to 4.20V range. What I also know is that my laptop computers stop charging when the cells reach 4.12V, my cell phones stop charging when the battery reaches 4.10V. Computer and cellphone engineers presumably have done their homeworks before deciding on those thresholds. I just follow their leads. 4.10V for me.

"At rest" means that the battery is doing nothing, not being discharged, not being charged. At rest laptop LiCo cells are (for all practical purposes) empty at 3.40V. But at rest voltage is almost useless in ebike application. What's meaningful is the cutoff voltage when the battery is under load. Some people fret over the exact threshold. 3.00, 2.95, 2.90, 2.85, 2.75, etc... The reality is that it does not make much difference. Under a 1C load, it takes only about 3 minutes to drop from 3.00V to 2.50V, and about 20 seconds to drop from 2.60V to 2.50V. Panasonic discharge graphs show both 2.50V and 3.00V cutoffs. My absolute cutoff point is 2.50V. The voltage bounces right back to 3.20 to 3.50V within 30 seconds after the load is removed.

Again common wisdom says that longer life is achieved by shallower depth of discharges and again I don't have the means to prove and or disprove it. You're ok if your cutoff voltage (LVC) is in the [2.50 - 3.00V] range. Closer to 2.50 if you want to extract every last bit of available energy (and to get better performance). Closer to 3.00V if you are in agreement with the common wisdom. If you still insist on a specific value recommended by an "expert", then this "expert" says 3.00V, just to be on the safe side.

Voltage sag
Let's say we have 3 different battery packs with the same nominal voltage and same capacity:
- 51.8V, 1,000Wh, 19.3Ah, Laptop LiCo
- 51.8V, 1,000Wh, 19.3Ah, RC LiCo
- 51.8V, 1,000Wh, 19.3Ah, A123 LiFePO4 (it's not possible to build a 51.8V nominal A123 battery, but let's assume one exists for simplification)
All 3 batteries are used on one same ebike (one battery at a time of course) and ridden the same way by one same rider. The controller is limited to 38.6A or a maximum of 2C discharge. Keep in mind that our average discharge rate is still and always 0.5C (500W) or lower.

Which battery performs best? Well, it's NOT the laptop LiCo battery. This is most noticeable when accelerating. The laptop LiCo battery accelerates slower than the other two batteries. Cruising speed is slightly lower too although the same current is drawn from each battery. Why?

No battery can maintain a constant voltage under load. All batteries sag to various degrees. RC LiCo and A123 have a much lower internal resistance (IR) and thus sag less. Laptop LiCo has a higher IR and sags more, much more. So when wot (wide open throttle) acceleration is called for, the maximum current is delivered, 38.6A or 2C. At 2C, laptop LiCo sags about 20% (41.4V {0.8 * 51.8}) while RC LiCo and A123 only sag about 5% (49.2V). Power is the product of voltage and current. The current is the same for all 3 batteries, but the voltage is not. So RC LiCo and A123 deliver 1,900W (49.2 * 38.6) and laptop LiCo delivers only 1,600W or 16% less. Less power results in slower acceleration. A few seconds later, cruising speed is attained and the current drops down to 0.5C. At 0.5C laptop LiCo sags about 8% and delivers 460W while RC and A123 deliver 490W at 2% sag. A smaller difference of 6% but enough to result in a slightly slower cruising speed.

Note: In the above scenario the laptop LiCo battery pack voltage was at 41.4V during the brief wot acceleration. Since the pack is a string of 14 cells (groups of cells), the average cell voltage was 2.96V (41.4/14). Remember the LVC (cutoff voltage) discussed in the last section? If it was set at the most conservative value of 3.00V, then that LVC threshold was reached. The controller would momentarily stop providing power to the motor until the cell voltage recovered (a fraction of a second at a time, but repeatedly). The end result is that acceleration is even more slower. Everything is a compromise. A conservative LVC supposedly prolongs the battery life but affects performance negatively.

Safety
Any device designed to store energy is a potential hazard. It can catch fire and/or explode. A piece of wood, a lump of coal, a tiny AAA battery, gasoline, natural gas, a lead acid starter battery, etc... On youtube you can find countless sensational videos showing all sorts of battery catching fire or exploding violently. I suppose one can hit a piece of paper with a hammer hard and long enough to ignite it. So much for sensationalism, let's get back to reality.

Laptop 18650 LiCo cells are built with an internal safety vent with thermal cutoff protection. I only have a vague idea how it works so I won't attempt to explain it. I share my actual tests with you instead. I too worry about these cells catching fire or exploding in my home. So I deliberately push them beyond their limits expecting catastrophic results. I have failed miserably so far in creating a catastrophe. Each of the following test is done at least 2 times using a good cell. The cell is permanently damaged and discarded after each test.

Over discharge: Discharge at both 2C and 0.5C until 0.00V is reached. The cell gets hot at 0.5C and really hot at 2C. No fire, no explosion.
Over discharge in series, forcing voltage reversal: 3 cells connected in series. The two outer cells are fully charged, 4.20V. The middle cell is about 20% charged, 3.65V. The middle cell gets hot as it descends to 0V and then reverses its voltage. No fire, no explosion.
Hard short: A fully charged cell shorted by clamping it in a metal vice. Really hot. No fire, no explosion
Over charge: Using a 0.5A, 5.30V charger. The cell gets hot at about 4.7V and failed permanently at around 4.9V. No fire, no explosion.
Extreme over charge: This test was done only once and was reported in another thread in Dec 2012
SamTexas said:
I just finished another overcharge test using two 2.2Ah laptop LiCo Sony cells in series. Charge rate is 8.5A, 7.7 times higher than the maximum recommended 0.5C rate. The cells are at 4.0V before charging.

Within 10 seconds, the combined voltage reaches 13.5V, hovers around that voltage for a 5 seconds and starts dropping to 13.2V. Remains at 13.2V while the cells begins to heat up fast. After another 60 seconds they lose the ability to accept charge and the current drops to 0.5A. Voltage remains at 13.2V (6.6V each). The cells are at about 60C hot (ambient is 20C). After 5 more minutes they stop accepting charge, 0A. Voltage is at 13.0V and dropping, temperature is about 70C and dropping. No fire, no explosion.
Am I saying that laptop 18650 LiCo cells are 100% safe? Not a chance, not in this life. But safe enough for me to not fret over common unintentional mistakes like over charging or over discharging or accidental shorts or unnoticed out of balance pack (voltage reversal). If you really want to know how safe or unsafe laptop 18650 LiCo is relative to other chemistries/formats, I invite you to repeat the above tests with HobbyKing RC LiCo. Do be sure to protect yourself adequately while performing those tests.

Charging
Maximum charging current is 0.5C. 1.10A for 2.20Ah cell, 1.70A for 3.40Ah cell, etc... At 0.5C charging rate the cell does get warm. I always charge at 0.3C or lower. Like other lithium chemistries a CC/CV (constant current, constant voltage) charger is recommended (although TRUE CC/CV chargers are hard to find.)

Quality cells and bad cells
Cells manufactured by reputable companies like Panasonic, Sanyo, LG, Samsung and Sony are good.

But there are quite a few no name or bad name brands out there. The most notorious one is UltraFire. Next are "red" cells that look almost identical to Sanyo cells, but they don't have the same markings, "FDMPT2" or "FB5PT2" are printed on these. These cells are mainly found in clone battery packs. They are worth nothing regardless of their price.

"Bad" cells are easily recognizable. They get warm even charging at low 0.2C rates. They get even warmer at discharge and their voltage sags 10 to 20% more than good cells. They cannot hold full 4.20V voltage for more than an hour.

Page 1 of 2

Page 2 of 2

F.A.Q.

1) So laptop LiCo is limited to low power ebikes or applications only?
No. It's easy to confuse low average discharge rate with low power applications. Power can be achieved either by using a high discharge battery with low capacity or a low discharge battery with high capacity. The Tesla Model S Signature Performance is a 420hp vehicle and goes from 0 to 60mph in 4.4 seconds.

Example: An ebike with a top speed of 40mph and a cruising speed of 30mph. That's definitely not low power, right? Required range is 30 miles.

Let's build 2 batteries for that bike. One using the best A123 26650 2.3Ah cells and the other using the best Panasonic laptop 3.4Ah cells. It takes 1,000W (including motor/controllers inefficiency) to power a 230 lbs bike and rider at 30mph, or 33.3Wh/mi. So 1,000Wh is needed to cover 30 miles. One A123 26650 cell has 7.36Wh and weighs 70g. 136 cells are needed for a total weight of 9.52kg. For Panasonic laptop cells we need 2,000Wh in order to meet the 0.5C requirement. Each Panasonic 3.4Ah cell has 12.58Wh and weighs 45g. 159 cells are needed for a total weight 7.16kg.

In case you missed it, the lighter laptop battery can do 60 miles or twice the A123 battery's range. And yes reaching 40mph is easily achieved with only 1C discharge on the laptop battery.

2) Don't we need thousands of cells weighing tons to compensate for the low discharge rate?
No. This question is already answered in the above example. As long as your average discharge rate is 0.5C or less, you're perfectly fine. Everything is already compensated for. Of course, more capacity is always better and will result in longer range, proportionally.

3) Is 0.5C discharge rate too conservative?
Conservative? Yes. Too conservative? No.
Almost all datasheets I have seen show 3 discharge rates. 0.5C, 1.0C and 2.0C. I have tested on the bench and verified that all 3 rates are doable. Unfortunately, no datasheet shows the corresponding cell temperature. At 0.5C (2 hrs run time), the cell's temp is about the same as ambient. At 1.0C (1 hr run time), the cell temp rises about 20F degree above ambient, which makes it very warm. At 2.0C (30 mins run time), it's about 50F degree above ambient, almost too hot to hold for a few minutes. Since those are single cell test on the bench, the cell is surrounded by ambient air thus has plenty of natural cooling. Inside a closed pack with many other cells, the temperature rises much faster and much higher.

4) Are you going to show how a pack is built?
DrkAngel did a good job on pack building already. "Homemade Battery Packs" is the tittle of his thread.

5) Where are the pictures? Videos? Fancy charts?
Sorry, not my style.

6) Is there a way to compensate for the high voltage sag of laptop LiCo?
Fortunately yes and it's very easy. Simply add 1 or 2 cells (groups of cells) in series to your pack. Example: You want a 48V pack that performs like an A123 48V pack. An 48V A123 is a string of 16 cells for a nominal 51.2V. A 48V LiCo pack is a string of 14 cells for a nominal of 51.8V. But at 2C burst discharge, laptop LiCo sags about 16% more. So add 2 cells in series to the laptop LiCo pack. In other words, a 16s laptop LiCo pack will have the same or better performance than a 16s A123 pack up to 2C discharge.

7) What is highest burst discharge rate for laptop LiCo?
As I have reported under "Discharge rates" (page 1 of 2), 2C is fine for 60 seconds in ebike applications. I also have done 4C for 10 secs on the bench (not recommended). Here's a real world application: The Tesla Model S Signature Performance has an 85kWh battery. Its maximum power is 310kW (420hp). So its burst rate is 3.65C. Of course The Tesla has advanced cooling system compared to none on ebikes.

Page 2 of 2

wikied thread (link) as new articl e:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/w/index.php/Laptop_LiCo_Cells
to add the thread's info to.

Hey Sam,

Excellent insight on these cells. The basic functions / limitations I'd expect, but the hard facts and
exacts of your findings are great for reference... and much appreciated! Keep em coming 8)

K

Thanks Samtexas. That was quite educational. I wonder if your thread could be combined with Drkangels thread on how to build these types of packs? Or are you planning to do a similar demo?
otherDoc

My few experiences with laptop cells are similar, but where do one obtain them in large numbers?
Cause you would need a bunch to build that example 1kwh battery. And to keep cellstress down, maybe 1,5-2kwh would be better.
Do these cells actually sell online and in a pricerange thats comparable to lipo? The energydensity is VERY appealing.

Wheazel said:
My few experiences with laptop cells are similar, but where do one obtain them in large numbers?
Cause you would need a bunch to build that example 1kwh battery. And to keep cellstress down, maybe 1,5-2kwh would be better.
Do these cells actually sell online and in a pricerange thats comparable to lipo? The energydensity is VERY appealing.

That is the hard part. Finding enough good cells same brand that match.

I like using them in smaller size packs as extender packs to back up a main A123 pack that will make sure the laptop pack does not get overloaded.

Extender packs can be as small as 7 18650 cells in series for a 24v setup.

Thank you guys. I will attempt to answer your questions in the FAQ, to be written on the third post.

Wheazel said:
This is a deal going on in the US right now. $0.14/Wh. No it's not a typo, 14 cents per Wh. You might want to try and see if they'll ship to Europe.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46798
Edit to add: I'm just passing the info along. I've not seen or worked on this pack before.

Grey beard said:
These cells are pricey. They are used in quite a few EV. Tesla uses them.
This company makes them in bicycle size packs, as well as a lot of larger sizes.
http://www.allcelltech.com/images/act/ebike/allcell_48v_ebike.pdf

I'm still waiting to see some feedback on customer service and on longevity of these packs as they are quite expensive. Also repairability seems suspect with that goo that they use as heat sink material. If it is semisolid it probably could not be repaired easily. So until I hear otherwise, these are high priced non-repairable batteries.
otherDoc
Edit: Their data sheet shows 400-700 cycles which is also not great. At least they may be safe.

docnjoj said:
Grey beard said:
This company makes them in bicycle size packs, as well as a lot of larger sizes.

I'm still waiting to see some feedback on customer service and on longevity of these packs as they are quite expensive. Also repairability seems suspect with that goo that they use as heat sink material. If it is semisolid it probably could not be repaired easily. So until I hear otherwise, these are high priced non-repairable batteries.
otherDoc
Edit: Their data sheet shows 400-700 cycles which is also not great. At least they may be safe.

The data allcelltech provides in the above pdf is GREATLY exaggerated. Take the first pack, HE-4813: A 13Ah pack using 2.6Ah laptop LiCo cells. They claim a CONTINUOUS discharge of of 25A or 1.92C. That's about 4 times the rate these cells are designed for. I doubt the battery would last past 100 cycles if continuously discharged at 1.92C. Their claimed cycle life is just pure fantasy (1800 at 80% DoD).

Tesla is using these cells the way they should be. Their vehicle ranges are always more than 100 miles or at least 2 hrs run-time. Plus they have sophisticated cooling mechanism to handle higher currents.

SamTexas said:
docnjoj said:
Grey beard said:

otherDoc

The data allcelltech provides in the above pdf is GREATLY exaggerated. Take the first pack, HE-4813: A 13Ah pack using 2.6Ah laptop LiCo cells. They claim a CONTINUOUS discharge of of 25A or 1.92C. That's about 4 times the rate these cells are designed for. I doubt the battery would last past 100 cycles if continuously discharged at 1.92C. Their claimed cycle life is just pure fantasy (1800 at 80% DoD).

Tesla is using these cells the way they should be. Their vehicle ranges are always more than 100 miles or at least 2 hrs run-time. Plus they have sophisticated cooling mechanism to handle higher currents.

Thanks Sam
I hate to cross American manufactures off my list but when they do that kind of "fact bending" I sure won't buy their stuff. Now a Tesla...................hmmmmm........just need to win the lottery!
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
Thanks Sam
I hate to cross American manufactures off my list but when they do that kind of "fact bending" I sure won't buy their stuff. Now a Tesla...................hmmmmm........just need to win the lottery!
otherDoc
The cells used are Sanyos I believe. So AllCellTech is more an assembler/distributor than a manufacturer.

To be fair their exaggeration is not as bad, relatively speaking. At least you can actually discharge at 2C. The pack will get hot and will not last long. But it actually "work" for at least a few ten cycles.

I bought a tiny Turnigy NanoTech rated at 35C continuous. I tested it at 10C, it worked fine. I tested at 15C, it was hotter than I like, but still worked fine. Finally I tested at 30C. At 30C it should last 2 minutes. Guess what? After 60 seconds it began to puff. At 90 seconds it looked like a balloon, about twice its original size. I stopped the test, not wanting to cause a fire in my study. So after only 3 cycles operating below its ratings, the cell is dead.

Anyway, my point is next to HobbyKing, AllCellTech looks almost like an angel.

There have been alot of talk on these forums about all the 20ah pouches that became available in recent times. (Like a year or so)
Those cells seem to, according to the discussions vary alot in quality. Mentions about rejects and resells from china etc.

How is the market for these 18650 lico cells, is the quality more stable or do i get what i pay for if i buy noname batterypacks for laptops?

Wheazel said:
.... do i get what i pay for if i buy noname batterypacks for laptops?
YES !
No name pack = no name cells = means no body wants to take responsibility for the quality or performance !
PS: There has also been a lot of talk on this forum about the variable quality of 18650 cells...
..just do a search on "Ultrafire" and see what crops up.

Wheazel said:
How is the market for these 18650 lico cells, is the quality more stable or do i get what i pay for if i buy noname batterypacks for laptops?
The quality of brand name cells like Panasonic, Sanyo, Samsung and LG has been good to excellent in my experience, even when they are found in clone battery packs. Most clone packs, however, do not use brand name cells. Clone packs usually use noname cells and the quality of those cells are poor. The only anomaly I have found so far is Sony cells. For some reasons they under perform other brands.

Ultrafire, as many have found out, is not a cell manufacturer. They buy reject cells from other manufacturers and put on their label. Ultrafire cells are junk regardless of their price.

Great writeup Sam.

I like the idea of using these cells for a long distance pack. You need the ah for range, so it all works out. I have an a123 pack of 26650s but don't go anywhere near it's full potential for amp draw. Making a boost pack to increase voltage with these 18650s would also work well.

I don't use a BMS on my own batteries, just the cellman pack has one. Adding balance wires and using a backs voltage monitor throughout your ride is all it takes. After a while you know how far you can go.

veloman said:
Great writeup Sam.

I like the idea of using these cells for a long distance pack. You need the ah for range, so it all works out. I have an a123 pack of 26650s but don't go anywhere near it's full potential for amp draw.
Thanks. Something is wrong with your 26650 pack discharge rate. 26650 A123 have no problem with sustaining extremely high continuous discharge like 10C or more. Your BMS is the weak link.

Making a boost pack to increase voltage with these 18650s would also work well.
Increase voltage? So you plan to put a laptop LiCo pack in series with an A123 pack? It would work, but you would be using only of fraction of the laptop pack capacity before your A123 runs out of juice.

I remember a thread on here had a PDF from NASA showing some destructive testing of 18650 cells, it was quite an interesting read and had some good info on making packs safer if you're building your own.

I'm running 18650s in a low power setup on my bike and it works well, I don't discharge below 60% and so far they're holding up well.

SamTexas said:
veloman said:
Great writeup Sam.

I like the idea of using these cells for a long distance pack. You need the ah for range, so it all works out. I have an a123 pack of 26650s but don't go anywhere near it's full potential for amp draw.
Thanks. Something is wrong with your 26650 pack discharge rate. 26650 A123 have no problem with sustaining extremely high continuous discharge like 10C or more. Your BMS is the weak link.

Making a boost pack to increase voltage with these 18650s would also work well.
Increase voltage? So you plan to put a laptop LiCo pack in series with an A123 pack? It would work, but you would be using only of fraction of the laptop pack capacity before your A123 runs out of juice.

My wording was misleading. I intentionally don't pull more than power from the a123 pack. I don't believe there is any problem in pulling up to 80amps or 40 continuous which is what the BMS is set for.

You are right about the main pack running out well before the lico, but that's fine. I am always fully aware of how much I have left in each pack, and charge accordingly. The point is that these lico cells were so cheap and lightweight that I could make a booster for my gf's bike with them. I just tell her to charge the main pack after 10 miles, and the booster will be less important, but it won't hurt it to do 30% DOD.

veloman said:
I just tell her to charge the main pack after 10 miles, and the booster will be less important, but it won't hurt it to do 30% DOD.
It's beyond my imagination how anyone can put up with a 20 miles range, let alone 10.

Back