Article on battery fire in Germany (with video)

Miles

100 TW
http://www.abendblatt.de/hamburg/eimsbuettel/article115969187/Akku-explodiert-Elektrofahrrad-geht-in-Flammen-auf.html

zgbdc5-69z3mmwbo2rpdn3z6me-original.jpg

zgbdc5-69z3mp5v1qp125q246me-original.jpg

I think EV fires are here to stay with us....

No matter the chemistry, if the equivalent energy of a small
cup of gasoline is released in a few seconds, there will be fire.

Anybody with German care to translate the basic facts? Was it lithium? Was it a short, or unexplained flame off?

yup we def need more details- was this guy using lipo? or maybe poor wiring/ cheap chinese bms/ i can't see anything else catching fire
years of use with my lifepo4- never ever had a fire

The article is very short. "chinese kit Lithium Battery exploded" is the only thing that you can get from it.
You have to know something concerning German market. Most of our product here come of course from China but with a german quality control in the process and at the reception in order to brand it with german name. In this process German companies takes a VERY big amount of money. Likewise everything is based on the TüV here... and nobody would emmit any critisim because, well... because we are in Germany ;)
Big companies will hide such things as much as they can in order to bring a German image of the operator in a white room assembling a high quality product. They will EVERYTIME jump on any occasion to show peopole how dangerous and fast are ebikes in order to create insurance duty and bann cheap kits from their market share. And it works.. we have SOOOO many insurancce here.. it's a real pain in the A##. we have one way street allowed for bicycles, bill for overspeeding with bicycle in the town...etc)
That's how things are...
Gruß,
H.

davec said:
yup we def need more details- was this guy using lipo? or maybe poor wiring/ cheap chinese bms/ i can't see anything else catching fire
years of use with my lifepo4- never ever had a fire
Yeah don't forget that it was a bullit...probably a wooden box, a few shorts and Voila! :/ Sad thing to hear
Gruß,
H.

Is he wearing Prada?

It's very inconclusive.

Good thing CARS never have electrical fires...oh, wait

The name of this newspaper reminded me of a guy I met from Hamburg. He got tired of being called a "hamburger", so he moved to Frankfurt...

This is part of the reason I build my battery packs myself. I can't trust a battery pack built in China by any major company that's not cell_man. They usually don't care much about the quality and usually put low C rate cells on a high C rate BMS. Like just the other day I was trying to convince a local not to buy a water bottle battery kit that had 8ah 36V and was rated for 40 amps? Soooo fishy.

It doesn't let you read the article unless you are subscribed.......

Teutonic ways.........if it's law obey it. If it's reasonable give gas! If you can drink it drink more!

spinningmagnets said:
Good thing CARS never have electrical fires...oh, wait

The name of this newspaper reminded me of a guy I met from Hamburg. He got tired of being called a "hamburger", so he moved to Frankfurt...

Welcher Frankfurt? Am Rhein oder and der Oder?

it had to be a short since he is on the street and not on a charger which is where one would expect a lipo fire.

i doubt if he would have used a lipo pack on a cargo bike too so it must have been a lifepo4 pack that shorted
some of the wiring. i just saw his pack and it is a Vpower pack so i bet it shorted out one of those straps on the positive side to the case and started the fire.

i wonder if he had a BMS to protect from shorts or if the short happened on his charging wire. BMS was of no use here since it shorted inside the battery pack.

That's quite a bit of battery cache he's got there. :shock:

there are several Vpower threads around. i have parts of a Vpower pack on my table that shorted out too. we try to warn people but since they are cheapest they sell a lot of them.

It does look like a V power lifepo4 pack. Stick any kind of battery in a box, let a rough edge rub holes in it awhile, and anything can happen.

dogman said:
Anybody with German care to translate the basic facts
well, mein deutsch is a widdle rusty...

Lastenrad Lithiumakku Explodierte bei der Fahrt - Pedelec spektakulär ausgebrannt - Siehe Video des Hamburger Abendblattes.
translation: cargobike lithium battery exploded when he farted pedaling past a spectacular butcher shop while shooting a video & took a turn for the wurst.

he's lucky this didn't happen in Dresden or the local Stasi would've gone Nuremburg on his arsch.

chuß

that was deliberately misleading to imply that the reason for the fire was because it was a lithium battery.

that is a wrong assumption. the fire was caused by poor workmanship on the part of the guy who assembled that battery with all those Vpower cells. battery shorted internally because it was not properly insulated between rows.

i have enuff of them on the table that i could build a battery from them but i think it is too much risk. i don't even like storing them in case they get knocked over and shorted.

there should be a law. there has to be an insulating layer between the strap and the case. i know that fire started when a strap on a corner cell kept bouncing up against the case and finally wore through that thin plastic and the entire 25Ah discharged through the shorted metal strap and the cases of all those cylinders under the strap. like in a few seconds.

why can't they understand that and that it has nothing to do with lithium. it is just bad workmanship. no insulators. you won't find that on apple products, or HP computer battery packs.

Back