puff puff the magic smoke. Why?

Batteries, Chargers, and Battery Management Systems.
ken1645   10 W

10 W

puff puff the magic smoke. Why?

Post by ken1645 » May 23 2013 2:26pm

magic-smoke.gif
wtf
magic-smoke.gif (17.61 KiB) Viewed 710 times
Why did this just spark up the 4mm bullet connector and short it out? I don't see why it would have shorted.

Was trying to charge 10s2p on my thunder charger but when I connected the + and - together to get the 5s into series to make 10s it smoked up... now I gotta resolder on some more connectors. I'm getting quite good at it now though which is good.

Thankfully these connectors burn them selves until they aren't connected, the batteries appear to be fine, each has 3.93V on all the packs..
thx

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Re: puff puff the magic smoke. Why?

Post by liveforphysics » May 23 2013 3:43pm

Could it have been capacitors not being pre-charged?
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

ken1645   10 W

10 W

Post by ken1645 » May 23 2013 3:51pm

liveforphysics wrote:Could it have been capacitors not being pre-charged?
hmm don't think so, it was just batteries connected to batteries. No caps. I had the 4 batteries about ready to charge.. I did have the balancer plugs plugged into the charger of all 4 battery packs.. maybe that was my flaw.

Anyways I'll stay away from charging in parallel for a while I suppose. I don't think my diagram above is flawed.

cal3thousand   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by cal3thousand » May 23 2013 3:53pm

Or the packs were paralleled at the cell where you didn't expect?
Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.

docnjoj   100 GW

100 GW

Post by docnjoj » May 23 2013 3:56pm

You did parallel the paralled packs balance wires? The Thunder only has 2 ports for Balancing. If they are backwards (first being negative and 2nd for positive) you should just get an error message, not sparks. Did you try to parallel the series connections balance connecters? Just guessin' but I dont see why sparks should appear.
otherDoc
E-bike stable at our house

Steintrike Mad Max full suspension trike rear Cute 100H going on: Whoops, Cute wheel broke but I fixed it.
Sun USX delta trike EbikeKit small geared front wheel sort of front suspension for wife

Agniusm/A123 AMP 20 36 volts on the Steini has been taken off.
2x16000 Multisport from HK now gone as they died after 2 years
New Luna 10S bottle battery 13.6AH now on mine
Relatively New 10S4Px2 for wife's bike giving 20ah @ 40 volts home made Panasonic from Tumich. BMS's rule.

chroot   100 kW

100 kW

Post by chroot » May 23 2013 4:06pm

@ken1645 - Let me ask you some couple question.

1. Did your main lead connector hooked E.g. controller or charger before you hooked the series wiring?
2. Did you parallel (A) LiPo pack before you hooked (B) LiPo E.g. 10Ah vs 5Ah
3. Does both paralleled packs fully charged (different volt from A to B probably will spark)
4. Did you paralleled balance lead together (A and B) before hook up the series? This will spark for sure.

These list above will cause you spark when you hooked series wiring. I always do first paralleled A and B packs in complete fully charged as equal voltage before going series. I never get any spark as long as the main lead connectors isn't hook or shorted somewhere.
Thank you Justin Lemire-Elmore - You are a HERO!

Tidalforce, Yuba Mundo V4 Cargo bike, Juiced Riders ODK V1 Cargo bike
English is my secondary language - ASL (American Sign Language) is my primary.

Ypedal   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Ypedal » May 23 2013 4:12pm

take a picture of your actual setup and post it... :wink:
ES site status page:
http://www.ypedal.com/ES/ES.htm
----------------
http://www.ypedal.com

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » May 23 2013 4:19pm

ken1645 wrote:
liveforphysics wrote:Could it have been capacitors not being pre-charged?
hmm don't think so, it was just batteries connected to batteries. No caps. I had the 4 batteries about ready to charge.. I did have the balancer plugs plugged into the charger of all 4 battery packs.. maybe that was my flaw.

Anyways I'll stay away from charging in parallel for a while I suppose. I don't think my diagram above is flawed.

Sounds like you had balance tap plugs combined so you were putting the cells in parallel, then attempting to put them in series with the discharge leads, which is the same as just mashing positive to negative.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

migueralliart   10 kW

10 kW

Post by migueralliart » May 23 2013 7:22pm

But wouldn't that just evaporate the balance leads? Those are what 22ga cable.

chroot   100 kW

100 kW

Post by chroot » May 23 2013 8:11pm

If the paralled balance hooked and the main series wiring will spark and the balance wiring will be very hot.

Only it will vaporize the balance lead hook up while the main wiring is on series hooked.

That's what I noticed the ES member mentioned in past.

migueralliart wrote:But wouldn't that just evaporate the balance leads? Those are what 22ga cable.
Thank you Justin Lemire-Elmore - You are a HERO!

Tidalforce, Yuba Mundo V4 Cargo bike, Juiced Riders ODK V1 Cargo bike
English is my secondary language - ASL (American Sign Language) is my primary.

ken1645   10 W

10 W

Post by ken1645 » May 23 2013 10:20pm

chroot wrote:@ken1645 - Let me ask you some couple question.

1. Did your main lead connector hooked E.g. controller or charger before you hooked the series wiring?
2. Did you parallel (A) LiPo pack before you hooked (B) LiPo E.g. 10Ah vs 5Ah
3. Does both paralleled packs fully charged (different volt from A to B probably will spark)
4. Did you paralleled balance lead together (A and B) before hook up the series? This will spark for sure.

These list above will cause you spark when you hooked series wiring. I always do first paralleled A and B packs in complete fully charged as equal voltage before going series. I never get any spark as long as the main lead connectors isn't hook or shorted somewhere.
#4 yes I had done that. I did not realize the balance leads needed to be hooked up last. Valuable lesson, glad that the batteries survived. Took em out for a ride today and they're doing great.

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » May 24 2013 5:30am

We ALL belong to the KFF club brother. Welcome. I did it again myself just the other day. I run 14s now, and was putting together another pack with some 5s and 4s. So I built a 14s pack from three 5s and one 4s. 19s, which didn't like being plugged parallel with a 14s pack. Killed some tabs in the 4s packs that were the + end.

Uhh, how did I manage to do one that stupid?

What was the question again? Chronic fatigue could just as well be called chronic stupid. Tired is dumb.

ken1645   10 W

10 W

Post by ken1645 » May 24 2013 10:55am

I figured it out and got it charging 10s2p now. Since the voltages across the parallel should be the same I'm only using 1 of the balance plugs from each parallel'ed 5s pack. Connected the balance plugs last FTW.

Next trick will be 10s4p :twisted: