Problem with Hyperion 1420i

rjoe

10 W
I set my Hyperion 1420i to end the charge at 90% capacity by the TCS function.

The problem is: if I charge a large battery (like my whole pack -- 16 Ah) it doesn't update the TCS capacity value during the charge. It stays on whatever it was when it started. So, I have to end the charge and start it again to update the value.

If I charge a single pack, like 4 Ah, it doesn't have this problem. It does it whether the computer is monitoring by USB or not. I tried a couple firmware updates and no change. I also tried limiting the charge rate, since it never gets to 16 A at 12s anyway (550W limit), to something that would always be less than 550W, but no change.

Anyone else have this problem or know a solution?

Thanks

I don't know a solution, but it is my recommendation not to use a Hyperion 1420i as your primary charger. I feel that it was designed to handle some smaller packs and is squarely aimed at RC guys that don't go through the Wh that we do.

It does a great job at short sprints, but I don't think it's a marathoner

On both of my 1420i charger, I have seem the TCS update on charging my 14s22ah lipo pack. It just takes a long time. But it does update. It usually starts at 14% and ends around 90%. Because I set it that way.

No problem with mine either charging 12s 20ah. Original firmware from over 2 years ago. No pc connection. Hitting mode button to rotate through screens. or up down button to get to just TCS cap. screen from charge mode.

I think it's acting normal.. It's not going to give accurate TCS almost all the time with big packs especially. Instead of 90% capacity TCS just do the HVC adjustment.. for life it's down to 3.5.. idk what lipo is. Also if you charge from the same point most of the time (20% SOC, for example), find a good timer setting that will end when you want

On my latest charge, the TCS value, which started at 59%, went up to 61% after a while, which was a gross underestimate (actual value should have been 75ish).

I manually restarted the charge and then the TCS value started increasing more rapidly. It still totally missed 90%.... I ended it manually when the voltage looked about right and the TCS value read 88%. It turned out to be 93%.

Hopefully, for some reason, my charger is slowly fixing itself. I will report back.

Thanks for the help.

I haven't used my Hyperion for several months now since I got the Thunder 1220. It just keeps on tickin'. This is on an AMP 20 ah 36 volt pack.
otherDoc

I don't use TCS, just adjust the voltage sense to be a little lower than fully charged and use mine as a bulk charger.

works well.

Back