black friday

I don't know where you live, but where I live that term usually means there has been a bloody big bush fire and people have been killed and many homes burnt down.....

what Friday are you referring too??? and where??

In the USA, large retailers like stores at the mall operate in the red most of the year. They make little or no profit for 11 months, if you look at it in a certain bookkeeping way. The last months gross sales in a way represent the stores profit for the whole year.

So the Friday after the Thursday thanksgiving holiday at the end of November is a day off for many Americans. That Friday, known as Black Friday kicks off the real holiday gift shopping splurge in the USA. On that day, the stores accounting is now in the Black, or finally showing profit for the year.

Stores will open stupidly early, and usually have a big pallet of something juicy priced crazy low for the first few shoppers as a loss leader. That's the black Friday sale.

This big sale tradition has now spread to web retailers, so now the whole world might have a good price on things for just one day. So wherever you are, you might find a good price on Nov 29th.

Such great imagery picturing what you thought he meant. Does it seem crass to wait for a fire sale, knowing you're trying to profit from someone's disaster?

What would you call a guy who showed up while your house was on fire and tried to buy it and everything inside it cheap? If he had his own private firefighters who wouldn't go to until you sold, would you call him 'Crass?' If I told you he was Roman would you call him Crassus?

In spite of being known as the richest man in the entire history of the Roman Empire, Crassus didn't do much to distingush himself. Even when he ended the Third Servile War by leading the legions that routed the forces of Spartacus, he was upstaged on his return to Rome. Ah well, at least he had his fortune waiting for him.

Gregb said:
I don't know where you live, but where I live that term usually means there has been a bloody big bush fire and people have been killed and many homes burnt down.....

interesting.
Learning something new every day.

- Thanks for posting to the both of you... I didn't know that's where the "Black" came from.

I didn't know that. I've heard Friday the 13th called Black Friday as an unlucky day. That's considered unlucky in the US too?
In Spain it's Tuesday 13th, and Italy it's Friday the 17th!

Gregb said:

Interesting tidbit. Thanks for the cultural lesson of the day :D

dogman said:
In the USA, large retailers like stores at the mall operate in the red most of the year. They make little or no profit for 11 months, if you look at it in a certain bookkeeping way. The last months gross sales in a way represent the stores profit for the whole year.

So the Friday after the Thursday thanksgiving holiday at the end of November is a day off for many Americans. That Friday, known as Black Friday kicks off the real holiday gift shopping splurge in the USA. On that day, the stores accounting is now in the Black, or finally showing profit for the year.

Stores will open stupidly early, and usually have a big pallet of something juicy priced crazy low for the first few shoppers as a loss leader. That's the black Friday sale.

This big sale tradition has now spread to web retailers, so now the whole world might have a good price on things for just one day. So wherever you are, you might find a good price on Nov 29th.

This has got to be one of the most succint definitions of Black Friday I have ever heard. Did you get this from the wikipedia? :wink:

cal3thousand said:
This has got to be one of the most succint definitions of Black Friday I have ever heard.

I thought the same thing when I read that this morning.

It's a long-standing and deeply held tradition in the United States to do as Mark Twain said: "We borrow money we cannot afford, to buy things we don't need, to impress people we don't like"...and Black Friday is the official start of roughly 4 weeks of a mindless frenzy of poorly thought-out spending decisions. I suppose you could say that it's about Christmas gifts and spending time with your family...but in bigger sense:

It is an opportunity for proud Americans to show friends and relatives what you think of them, and to out-spend each other as a symbol of how our family is doing better than the cheap bastards in your family (Just like Jesus would do if he were lucky enough to be a modern 'Merican). Once a family has been properly "Americanized", they can't help but to be swept away by the spirit of the holiday by spending. Even Athiests, Jews, and Muslims who have been here a while will wake up one cold and cloudy morning in January, pull the credit card bill out of the mailbox, and then stare glassy-eyed at it with blank expressions on their faces for an hour or so while wondering ..."what the hell just happened?"

Yes, it's called "black" Friday because stores operate "in the red" at a loss all year long as a token of their appreciation for their customers. It's true because that's what the stores told us.

Back