Thread for new battery breakthrough PR releases

Doctorbass

100 GW
If I have to ask I can't afford it. That 33ah one, oh man some of those would be delightful.

That name brings back memories. I used Saft batteries in my RC car about twenty years ago.

It seems like those have roughly the same engergy density of most li-xxx cells. However, the larger cells are great. It will be great when we can package lithium that well.

Cool 8) It appears from the spec sheet:

http://www.saftbatteries.com/130-Catalogue/PDF/VL-34-P.pdf

these are Lithium Nickel batteries?

Can't wait until these things become cost competitive.

Ypedal said:
i wonder if i try to tell them i'm a secret agent for the us military requesting a box of 1000 for testing !!! hmmm...

Gopher it. What's the worst that could happen?
_images_medium_300px-guantanamo-dog.jpg

If you want a pack like that, you can make one. Talk to Don Harmon (above). He will be selling 10 ah lifepo4 cells. The cells are very similar. The biggest difference is Don Harmon will sell you cells and help you, and they won't even talk to you.

It seems these are very similar to the A123s but are just larger cells. In fact if A123 would let us get specs on their 32 series cell they might even be better. The saft cells at 7ah only do a continuous of something like 15c while the 2.3 ah a123s will do 30c. Imagine those 32 series a123s! THat vl12v is got it beat though. I'm sure they are cheap :roll:

Doctorbass said:
Are you talking about Rail gun?? :twisted: http://www.powerlabs.org/railgun.htm
Ya gotta wonder about people who put high-powered projectile launchers on casters.

fechter said:
So what am I supposed to use for the anti-SUV rail gun on my scooter?
Looks like you go with supercapacitors OR compressed-air... either way you can energize the system with a good downhill run.

8)

TylerDurden said:
Doctorbass said:
Are you talking about Rail gun?? :twisted: http://www.powerlabs.org/railgun.htm
Ya gotta wonder about people who put high-powered projectile launchers on casters.

fechter said:
So what am I supposed to use for the anti-SUV rail gun on my scooter?
Looks like you go with supercapacitors OR compressed-air... either way you can energize the system with a good downhill run.

8)

I see those guys are using both compressed air and capacitors.
Hummers beware :twisted:

Some guys have fun jobs... :(

Attachments

• Rail Gun.jpg
    Rail Gun.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 37,984
They seems interesting for their cycle and life..
but

They have around 10Wh and they weigt 120g+ .. humm :?
The A123 beat that!... and about the power too...

Any info about their price?

on ohgizmo.com they have a slightly different post.
the battery technology seem to be lithium titanate nanocrystal. The whole nano thing sound familiar with A123. Either way 90% in 5 minutes and 5000 cycle is great. I wonder how this battery do on high C discharge and is it effected by time like LiPo battery. Even if you baby LiPo battery they suck after some time.
http://www.ohgizmo.com/2007/12/11/toshiba-promises-super-li-ion-batts-in-march-2008/

I would assume if you can charge it in 5 minutes, then you could also discharge it in 5 minutes. :twisted:

yeah i'd tend to agree - it would make sense that the chemistry works the same in both directions.

It does sound very similar to A123 style of things to come.

Engadget also recently had a post on "printable solar panels" which are extremely cheap and require no silicon!

some of the techologies that are being proven now are going to end up being extremely useful for us EVers.

Cheap printable solar panels will be able to be plastered all over ur roof/ clothing etc. quick recharge means you can have a coffee while recharging ur car / bike etc. :)

it would also mean that electricity stations could be run - to recharge electric cars :)

Recharge to 90% in 5 min.
http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20071212/D8TG1JE01.html

TOKYO (AP) - Toshiba plans to make a quick-charging new battery for forklifts, construction machinery and other industrial use.

Toshiba Corp.'s Super Charge ion Battery, to start shipping in March, can recharge to 90 percent of its full capacity in less than five minutes, Toshiba spokeswoman Hiroko Mochida said.

Toshiba, a newcomer in rechargeable batteries, said the new lithium-ion battery, with a life span of 10 years, could be used in hybrid and electric cars by 2010, Mochida said.

Battery innovations are expected to be key in making hybrid vehicles more widespread, because lighter and easier-to-recharge batteries will make it easier to offer variety among hybrids. And they will allow vehicles to travel farther on electricity.

"This is a truly innovative battery," said Toshiba Corporate Vice President Toshiharu Watanabe.

The new battery will first be used in electric bicycles, motorcycles, forklifts and construction machinery. It can work in temperatures as low as minus 22 degrees Fahrenheit.

Back