Help me figure out an X box 360 power supply

dogman dan

1 PW
At the garage sale I thought I made what seemed like a good score today, two X box power supplies. 3 bucks each.

Labels say 175w of 12-14v. Should run a 150w RC charger ok.

Trouble is, despite a green light that is supposed to indicate good power, I can find no voltage on the terminals of the plug.

A little dissecting reveals 8 wires. 3 are black and labeled ground. 3 are yellow and labeled +V. So apparently the plug supplies 12v in three slots, the main slots of the plug. No voltage found on these wires. Not on the plug, nor at the board.

The other two wires are different. A blue one is labeled power, and the red one 5VSB. Those are much thinner wire, and go to a different kind of plug contact in the big output plug. There is 5v on those two wires.

My guess is this is an on off switch. Does anybody else have one of these PS, and can confirm this, before I go and short those two wires to each other?

dogman said:
At the garage sale I thought I made what seemed like a good score today, two X box power supplies. 3 bucks each.

Labels say 175w of 12-14v. Should run a 150w RC charger ok.

Trouble is, despite a green light that is supposed to indicate good power, I can find no voltage on the terminals of the plug.

A little dissecting reveals 8 wires. 3 are black and labeled ground. 3 are yellow and labeled +V. So apparently the plug supplies 12v in three slots, the main slots of the plug. No voltage found on these wires. Not on the plug, nor at the board.

The other two wires are different. A blue one is labeled power, and the red one 5VSB. Those are much thinner wire, and go to a different kind of plug contact in the big output plug. There is 5v on those two wires.

My guess is this is an on off switch. Does anybody else have one of these PS, and can confirm this, before I go and short those two wires to each other?

Sorry no on/off switch on my x360 powersupply ... only on the console.

http://azsurplus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_38&products_id=6189

Thank you, that plug diagram seems to confirm what I suspected. To reduce the standby power draw of the PS, it switches on and off, using no doubt, the switch on the console.

It should power up when I short the two extra wires labeled power enable on that diagram.

$59 used. Looks like I did get a good score on them for 3 bucks. :D It was a cool garage sale, the guy has a home converted electric car.

Da da! short the blue and red wires, and the fan starts up and I get 12.7v on the yellow and black wires.

Nice. Now I have power supplies for all 4 of my RC chargers.

Do you mean the 16A brick?
I use one too. 3 yellows and 3 blacks all joined together, with the permanent 5v linked back to bring on the 12v.

It's a really solid 12v on the nose. Probably because it is a computer power supply with regulation appropriate for that use. They are packed full of parts.

12.7v sounds like a broken multimeter.

The label says 14.2 amps, at 12-14 v. 175 w rated. That free DVM from harbor freight could be off, but in general they are not off by a half volt. I was sort of hoping for a solid 13v, so the chargers never go into low voltage cutoff if there is any sag when the input is low, like a midsummer day.

I didn't look that hard for adjustment pots while it was open, or think to take a pic.

Oh. Same console, same wiring, different brick. Mine is 203w 16.5A (I had to have a look).

Well I say same console... . But it's probably not. They are all the same console too me.

They come in at least 3 versions of the plug, depending on the wattage, 150, 175, and 205w. Not including another version that seems to be 135w on new consoles.

It looks like there are plenty of these on ebay, for about 20-30 bucks shipped for buy it now, if anybody reading this thread would like to get one. Maybe even cheaper on an auction. Seems like a good way to power up a cheap RC charger like the 150w accucel 8 ones I have.

Ought to be able to get below $60 for RC charging all in. Good for those on a budget, it looks like a solid PS, unlike some of the cheaper options from HK.

I have a couple of these sitting around myself and briefly did some research on powering the up a while back but gave up.

I also thought last year in a post I thought amberwolf was looking for how to power them up as well so he may be interested to read this.

Anyway good info thanks.

Back