Turnigy Multistar - lightweight 10C cells

miuan

10 kW
HK has pulled out yet another bait.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__56840__Multistar_High_Capacity_4S_5200mAh_Multi_Rotor_Lipo_Pack.html
15-20% lighter than regular Turnigy.
Hope they haven't overrated the capacity even more than with my Zippy Compacts.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=55970

miuan said:
HK has pulled out yet another bait.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__56840__Multistar_High_Capacity_4S_5200mAh_Multi_Rotor_Lipo_Pack.html
15-20% lighter than Turnigy.
Hope they haven't overrated the capacity even more than with my Zippy Compacts.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=55970

It is Turnigy and not Zippy.

I have 8 on the way for use and testing. I will report back with findings. This gives me 20% more range and 20% lighter than my Zippy 8AH Batteries.

Ice. ..do you have any plans to test any of these high capacity "Tattu" cells..?
They list cells with up to 22Ahr and 60C discharge !
http://yabopower.en.alibaba.com/product/1914578019-222074636/22_2v_60c_6s_16000mAh_lipo_battery_fit_for_quadcopter_DJI_S800_S1000_OnyxStar_FOX_C8_HD_Gryphon_X8.html

22_2v_60c_6s_16000mAh_lipo_battery.jpg

I think I ran into these guys on AliBaba earlier, and I'd love for someone to test their 22Ah cells; I warn you, though, a 6S pack of those things will run you $250-300 from them plus shipping.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__64439__Multistar_High_Capacity_6S_10000mAh_Multi_Rotor_Lipo_Pack_US_Warehouse_.html

34 left in stock at US warehouse currently.

I woudn't mind picking up a couple for testing...

I'll have to wait for IceCube data, but I suspect these are going to be pretty shitty. But hey 12s10Ah for $200 give or take is a good way for starter/ultra low cost Ebikes. You would still need a good 12s charger or something. Buy this is still way too expensive compared to the Nissan leaf battery though. You might get a lighter and more compact setup at the price of cost, safety, and longetivity. And you will be dealing with crooks.

Considering that I don't run my 4S hardcase packs at more than 5C now, and the fact that two of these 6S-10Ah packs could replace 6 packs of my hardcases, if these perform as rated, they would be a great solution for a 12S-25A set-up like the BBS02 750W. Incredibly small and light, and perfect for a 20-mile or less commute. You could cram a couple of these packs almost anywhere. Probably even a large seat/saddle pack. Yes, they are a bit more expensive than the hardcases, and a lot more expensive than the Nissan Leaf cells, when cycle life is factored, but the size and weight is what would sell me on these.

Hillhater said:
Ice. ..do you have any plans to test any of these high capacity "Tattu" cells..?
They list cells with up to 22Ahr and 60C discharge !
http://yabopower.en.alibaba.com/product/1914578019-222074636/22_2v_60c_6s_16000mAh_lipo_battery_fit_for_quadcopter_DJI_S800_S1000_OnyxStar_FOX_C8_HD_Gryphon_X8.html

22_2v_60c_6s_16000mAh_lipo_battery.jpg

Almost 200Wh/kg energy density
At least 150 times cycle life
hmmm 100% dod ?

Well i think the general consensus is that we must derate these to 1/4 of their advertised rate. I dont expect these to be stellar by themselves in a 1p. Im going to run a 2s 4p back so in theory Im well within the derated limits of my 25A BBS02 48v 750w kit. Most peoples discharge is .5C to 1C for most stock to above average ebikes. Im not going to do true stress test but just discharging at 1C to verify capacity.

that 16000mah battery is priced at only $400!
Tattu, the sister brand with Gens Ace,both of them are moving under Grepow who is the world leading high discharge rate lithium polymer battery manufacturer.
http://www.grepow.com/en/index.asp
looks like they even have an Instructable:
How to extend the lifetime of you TATTU professional UAV lipo battery
by gensdaniel
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-extend-the-lifetime-of-you-TATTU-profession/

I just picked up two of the 10000mah 6s to run a mac motor at 44v. Cant wait to see how it rides when I take the 50v 20ah amp20 pack off and put a 2.5kg lipo on :)

Will let you know how they perform but cant see 4c being a problem for 10c packs? I dont have much in the way of equipment but could get the voltage during load on a 40a infineon/10t mac on a heavy bike if it helps.

Heres some basic IR results. Go to page one and read the lot if you want but I couldnt see too much real life experience with the actual packs

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2207137&page=8

IR readings 10AH4S Multistar 10C.
Continuous current without damage 141.4 amps.
voltage drop per cell [V]: 0.424 total voltage drop [V]: 1.697
Continuous C rating: 14.1C

t7014818-126-thumb-20140814_164914.jpg

Not bad actually, my zippy 15C 5AH packs read at double that from the factory.
My turnigy 20C 5AH packs read around 1-2mOhm at the factory.

I'd say it's closer to being accurately rated than most.

Heres is a guy who is using 4x10amp max motors on a quad with a 5200 multistar. I cant make out most of it due to language problems but it looks like he took them down to 20 percent capacity and got 4050mah. Or 4650mah down to 10 percent. Seems about right but I am not sure how hard a quad is on ampage or how hard he flew. But its 10amps min to 40 amps max so thought it was relevant as thats what my bike does mostly.

Still waiting for my delivery.

[youtube]kNOuU1qYk80 [/youtube]

Im not sure I would risk these new cells just yet. Mine arrived with 11 cells at 3.92v and 1 at 3.84.

Thats around 500ma of self discharge. Hobbyking said they should send me a new one but I couldnt take a clear enough picture and refused. They say I need to balance it and it will be fine. After having a ping battery that had a similar cell I know its always going to be a pain. Dammit, Il update soonish but it probably will work ok for 366 days till its out of warranty (do you even get warranty?).

Any thoughts?

bionicdan said:
Im not sure I would risk these new cells just yet. Mine arrived with 11 cells at 3.92v and 1 at 3.84.

Thats around 500ma of self discharge. Hobbyking said they should send me a new one but I couldnt take a clear enough picture and refused. They say I need to balance it and it will be fine. After having a ping battery that had a similar cell I know its always going to be a pain. Dammit, Il update soonish but it probably will work ok for 366 days till its out of warranty (do you even get warranty?).

Any thoughts?
Dudes need to be sorted out, in some moment they will crap on your rainbow badly. :(

Dealing with HobbyKing is dealing with crooks. Everyone knows the one cell is bad and they need to replace it. No way can balance fix that. In the long run, it will crap out faster and faster.

HobbyKing just need to check the cell before shipping out, but because they rather have you eat their shit cost, they ship it out anyways in hopes you will not complain. Best course of action now is open a payapl dispute and demand them to send you another one.

If they complain about how they cannot ship you a new one unless you cancel dispute, just tell them you are a business and it is company policy you cannot cancel the dispute until you get a new battery. If they ask for you to ship it back, say you cannot until the new one arrives at NO cost to you.

Even if they refund you, it will be store credit which means you just wasted 3x shopping cost because you paid for shipping of the defective battery to your house and then shipping back and then one more shipping time for the replacement parts which you hope is not defective because you cannot open PayPal dispute now since you used store credit to buy. And NO they do not refund shipping cost at all. In essence you paid shipping for the whole ordeal. For something $100, this might be 30-40% of the cost because you dare not send without signature and insurance.

Basically don't trust them. I spent thousands of dollars on their website and they know it and they still pull that kind of crap for me. Ended up losing money and wasting my time trusting them.

Open PayPal dispute and wait for the replacement parts. If thwy refuse you get your money back and some free items. Simple and easy. Once enough cases go through they will see it is cheaper for them to just check the batteries before shipping as oppose to dealing with customers who PayPal dispute them.

My packs come in today I have 17 coming in. 8 for me and 9 for a friend. I will tape my unboxing read off voltages and IR. I need to clean my office and my work bench and get my laptop out for discharge tests.

I discharged 1 pack @ 5A (0.5C). This is relevant to me because I only have a 25-30A build and Im going to run 4P. IR is between 2-3mohm on my Icharger 406 Duo. I got 10.364AH out of the first pack taking the weakest cell down to 3.0v. It gave 10AH at 3.55v on the weakest cell. It gave full capacity at the top of the cliff. I dont have a chart as of yet. I will have one on the discharge of my next pack.

bionicdan said:

Any thoughts?

how do you know it is 500mA of self discharge. i see no evidence you have even charged the cell up yet and you are already making this claim that the pack is defective. there is no evidence it is defective if it was never charged up.

now all the parasites are claiming how hobby king is ripping you off when there is not even the slightest evidence you attempted to show that it has a high self discharge rate.

then you go and claim that ping sold you a defective battery too with no evidence to back it up. just more of the same for the endless-sphere we know it all hangout crowd.

I have some high flyers. I have one pack that gave me 10.551AH and the other 10.662A.. Much appreciate for the extras juice.

Back