8-80 volt out CC-CV board on e-bay

NeilP

1 GW
Hi guys,

just came across this on flea bay.
Paired with a wall wart or similar Switched mode PSU, or any other dc voltage supply, to give a neat little charging solution.

up to 80 volts out and up to 10 amps.

Would need forced air cooling if run at high power levels. but might make a nice compact portable charger for random top ups

6-40V to8-80V DC Boost Converter Regulator Constant Current/Voltage Charger 400W

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 3,815
Nobuo said:
I can't get the idea :roll:

What would be your main power source?

NeilP said:
Paired with a wall wart or similar Switched mode PSU, or any other dc voltage supply, to give a neat little charging solution.

Sorry , just assumed everyone would know what I meant by thsr.

A switched mode PSU or power supply unit or wall wart, they are one of the black box piwer supplies you get for a whoke range of household items from TV's printers, computer monitors,electric tooth brush chargers, laptops, phone chargers etc etc. Housrhold mains voltage in, a DC voltage out.

The input range of that unit is wide ranging ,
Obvioisly you need to use one of equal or greater power thsn you want out.
So, no good connecting it to a 19 volt 65 watt laptop psu and expecting to get 48 volts @ 10 amps out , but 48volt & 1.2 amps would do it.

Not as fast charge, but enough for a boost charger while out and about.

Or carry it 'raw ' with no PSU, and just standard vehicle cigar lighter plug, then just collar a car driving work collegue and ask to plug in for a few hours ;).

It says 15 amp max. does that mean I can't use 3 HP 660 12 volt 40 amp power supply in series ? Or through resistors . Or and ?
Plus a fan.

999zip999 said:
It says 15 amp max. does that mean I can't use 3 HP 660 12 volt 40 amp power supply in series ? Or through resistors . Or and ?
Plus a fan.

I think I see what you are asking, But lots of potential for wrong reply as I believe maybe a typo had crept in.

1; A 40 amp supply? Is that one of these server PSU's ? 4 amp maybe?

2: But for now assuming 40 amps corrrect. If a supply is rated at 40 amps, does not mean that it will pump out 40 amps regardless, just than it can supply 40amps if asked to. ( Unless it says 12volt 40 Amp Constant Current......but in this case very very unlikely.)

3: Stringing these PSU's in series if 40 amp and 12 volt, Why ? one will be more than enough to drive that board.
But if they are 4 amps supplies, then yes you coudl string them together to give 4 ampsat 36 volt. Butbe careful that the outputs of each are fully isolated from input. So get a multi meter in resistance/ continuity range and check for continuity between the negative output and the input wires/ ground wire. If there is a circuit between output negative and input / ground, then no, you cant just series them, not without out working on them. You would hsve to open the supply up and modify it so output is isolated. Otherwise the second supply will short circuit the first supply to ground the instant you power them on.

BUT...If they are 40 amp supplies, then you won't need to series them. One will be enough. The 12 volt and 40 amp is 480 W. The module I linked to is 400 W, so a single 40 amp PSU is plenty. 12 volt in will allow that board to give up to 80 volt out.

But..... If those supplies, as I suspect , are really 4 amps, then 3 in series will be fine, as long as my point (3 above, ) is noted, and output of each isolated from input side of PSU. But three in series still won't give the power to run the board to its full capacity. Three of them will be 36 volts at 4 amps, so 144 watt.

But saying all that, it all becomes a bit bulky using three x 4 amp supplies Just try and find a PSU with greater power output. One single unti marked with a wattage of 400watt or greater, with an output voltage below your final battery voltage

This unit is a boost convertor , , only increases output. So of you ran one from 3 12 volt supplies in series, that is 36 volt, so I'd say output of the board would not be able to go below 36 volt.

If you have to start combining multiple PSU's to run this, then it no longer is a great idea in my thoughs, as other solutions then become more convienent. Like a ready build BMS battery charger.

I'd considered this unit more as a bike mounted 'grab a boost' charge device. This, the CC/CV part woudl be built on to the bike, then you just carry /leave at work /borrow any spare PSU for a quick improptu charge where needed.

The general public get nervous when they see our LiPo battery packs, or big bulky chargers with wires and sparks. But plug your bike into a little black box that looks like something they see everyday poweing their phone/printer/pc monitor etc, and no one blinks an eye. I can see three of them from where I am typing this.
I had no envisaged usign this as a hig current charge controller..it only outputs 10 amps after all.
I'd see it pared up with a small 65-100 watt wall wart type PSU to give an amp or so charge top up while at work or similar. With max voltage set well below pack max. So for my 20series 83v HoC pack I'd set thsi to about 79-80 volts to give a 1 amp top up charge.

O.k. thank you. Yes I have three hp 600 power supplies 12v 40a 550watts each. My 1220 stop working and was looking for a bulk charger. Would get a bms battery charger, but would hope they send a working model.
So maybe a menwell 48v and the three of the 12v supplies with a limit board thing. For a 24s A123 82v pack.
Thanks Neil P.
Still looking.

Well a sungle one of thise HP 600's is all you need, and one of these boards.

Each of those PSu's is more than enough.,

But it will only be good for pack voltage to to 80 volts.

The board is 400 watt, so at 80 volts you could only chsrge at 5 amps.

40 volt would be 10amps

Power = Current x Voltage.

I have maybe 5 or 6 BMS battery units, never had issue with any of them.

If I want at 84 volt 20 amp charger from them, I'd order 100 volt and 25 amp then detune, to run at a lower power level than I spec'd

No way of knowing. Depends what it was originally ordered at.

I have two 600's. One is 36 volt, the other is 72-84. Could not adjust the 36 upwards, as components not rated for it. But maybe able to turn the 72-84 volt one down.

The wattsge it is has no connection or relevance to the voltage it can run at.

That one looks better.
Adjusted via pots rather than electronucslly
But if you have a 82 volt pack, having to use two units and two PSU's and splitting the pack to charge , is a bit of a 'messy' solution

Never the less, if you have up to 60v pack it makes things easier with meanwells and server psu's without cv if its real cc/cv this thing. I bet if dug deeper even cheaper units could be found.

I bought this exact DC-DC converter a while ago. I think you will need a 36-40V Power Source to get the Full 80V step-up at maximum current. And it sags terribly when charging a battery. There is no way this thing puts out 400W to the battery, regardless of how powerful your PS is. :roll:

Here is the Instruction Manual for the one from ebay:

View attachment 英文400W.doc

teslanv said:
I think you will need a 36-40V Power Source to get the Full 80V step-up at maximum current. And it sags terribly when charging a battery. There is no way this thing puts out 400W to the battery, regardless of how powerful your PS is. :roll:

What input where you running at and what output where you trying to achieve?
Was it sagging even when within the specifications or were you trying to get more out of it than designed for ?

There is no way it would, or claims to, put out the maximum current at 80 volt.

Max current is claimed on a bay as 9.99 amps, so 10 amps.
So 10 amps at 80 volts is 800 Watt, twice its claimed output.

If running at 80 volts out, I'd not run it at much greater than 4 amps, taking in to account the 95% efficiency, and give it a little head room to take in to account the sometimes dodgy Chinese quality control on cheap electronics.
That would be running with a 40 volt PSU.

If running with a little laptop style 19 volt PSU, you would need to de rate further. Claimed wattage figure at 19 volt in is 190Wats, so I'd stick to 180 or less for the output...but my little 19v Laptop supply is 65 watt, so allowing for a little headroom and wanting, ( in the case of my GF's bike) , 49 volt HoC, I'd run it at about 1 amp to stay within spec.

I'd look at these board as a portable slow trickle charge solution. Build that board in to the bike/ battery pack and then carry an unobtrusive laptop charger, for a build for a not techy person who would be scared off by our 'normal chargers'.

Never suggest one of these for a main charge solution. just pointless for that.

Not many amps, but a few more volts and cheap enough to experiment.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-100W-DC-10-32V-to-60-97V-Step-up-Module-Boost-Power-Suppy-DC-Converter-/281311660384?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item417f7b4960&_uhb=1

I messed with one of these a year or so ago. Good cheap fun and although it takes a lot of Amps on the low voltage side in order to deliver a small Amperage charge at high voltage, it's a viable 12VDC automotive charging solution. However, I think it's best used for those situations where you need 60-80V but only have a 48V MW or similar handy.

Be careful though, I burned up a Turnigy power meter while messing around with the voltage adjustment. One of those "oh shit" moments when realizing I'd put 80V into the damn meter. It can get away from you before you realize it.

Ykick said:
Be careful though, I burned up a Turnigy power meter while messing around with the voltage adjustment. One of those "oh shit" moments when realizing I'd put 80V into the damn meter. It can get away from you before you realize it.
Same here. :oops:

Interesting, I've been looking for a way to charge 18V NiCd tool batteries that I keep in my shed without shuttling them back and forth to the garage, this paired with a small 12V solar panel and perhaps a timer to limit total charge time should work nicely.

I see some on ebay have TXD and RXD pins, has anyone experimented with those?

I'm looking for a cheap way to charge a 20s14p (konions ; 84v<10A charging) and here are the options available I found ; please tell me if any had some experiencewith them
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...with-Thermal-protection/515737_672242625.html
fits my specs ; 25$us -> 30$CADish

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-600W-DC-...057?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item43dc9e4661
fits my budget 15$CAD ; can it be hacked up to 82v? specs say 80v max... has a potentiometer mod been tried?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DC-DC-Step-U...954?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3ff079ca
super cheap (4,35$CAD) ; has anyone tried putting themin series / paralel?

Hi, I am currently using the ebay 600w dc to dc converter to charge a 48v Ping pack with a 12v144w power supply.

View attachment 1
I have been using it for almost 2 years mostly as a backup to charge my 15s main pack and the Ping. I was able to push 1.5 amps at 63hvc but it got real hot even with a house fan on it. I think 150w is near its limit. It starts to vibrate and melt at 1.6 amps @ 63hvc. If anyone can get 600w from this unit, I would love to see it. It works great under 150w. Very easy to adjust the current and voltage.

Just adjusted the volts to more than 90. Did not want to go higher but might hit 100v.
ebay converter at 90 plus v.jpg

I added extra fan with bimetal switch. Power source is my 48V 150ah Lifepo4 Offgrid battery bank. Charging ebike 72v 20ah Lifepo4 Pack with ~7A current.
https://youtu.be/rRwKE9H-OUA?t=326

mcintyretj said:
Hi, I am currently using the ebay 600w dc to dc converter to charge a 48v Ping pack with a 12v144w power supply.

View attachment 1
I have been using it for almost 2 years mostly as a backup to charge my 15s main pack and the Ping. I was able to push 1.5 amps at 63hvc but it got real hot even with a house fan on it. I think 150w is near its limit. It starts to vibrate and melt at 1.6 amps @ 63hvc. If anyone can get 600w from this unit, I would love to see it. It works great under 150w. Very easy to adjust the current and voltage.

Just adjusted the volts to more than 90. Did not want to go higher but might hit 100v.

Maybe because you use a 12v 144w power supply. Check your input voltage for >150W. It should be decreasing a lot.

Back