Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Batteries, Chargers, and Battery Management Systems.
Post Reply
User avatar
magudaman   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 679
Joined: Jul 10 2007 5:41pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
Contact:

Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by magudaman » Apr 13 2015 2:12pm

I had been looking over my battery choices a couple months ago and recently wrapped up my electrified GoPed project and want get a new battery for it. So I started looking at batteries again.

Ok so the battery I’m not seeing much information on here is the Samsung INR18650-30Q. This is a 3000mah battery that can do 20a intermittent and 15a continuous, all for $3.18 a cell! Just like the 20R they only quote 250 cycles at that load but I hope I will get better using a lower rates. I also attached the data sheet.

So should I pull the trigger on 200 cells, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a new giant battery scam going on that my searches were not catching? My current project is only for 56 cells but will be assembling a new bike after selling my electric motoped that should fund a project for the remaining 140 or so cells.
Attachments
INR18650-30Q Cell SPEC(Tentative)(1).pdf
(303.65 KiB) Downloaded 4263 times
Electric Motoped:
10kw Mars Brushless Etek
16s1p A123 AMP20 Pack
Kelly Ebike Brushless 350a/10kw

User avatar
riba2233   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1852
Joined: Jun 30 2013 10:23am
Location: Croatia

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by riba2233 » Apr 13 2015 4:30pm

Now that's interesting! Datasheet looks ok. Cycle life doesn't look promising, but that's at bad conditions.
My electric moped: http://www.evalbum.com/4966

My electric car: http://www.evalbum.com/5364

Nuts&Volts   100 W

100 W
Posts: 258
Joined: Mar 25 2010 6:28pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by Nuts&Volts » Apr 13 2015 5:28pm

I have been researching cells for a month now and this cell seems great to me. I'm sure it can do >20A for short burst as well. I hope to get a few samples for testing. I will compare it to the 25R and MH1 cell. I need to see which fits my duty cell and peak power desires.

I think it will be a good cell. Check out the reviews of the 20Q cells for comparison because it should be similar (same as 20R vs 25R).

Where were you quote $3.18/cell. I was quoted $3.90/cell from an alibaba seller (higher from keeppower). They also mentioned they wont be in stock until the end of the month. A brand new cell.

User avatar
spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 11729
Joined: Dec 21 2007 10:27pm
Location: Ft Riley, NE Kansas

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by spinningmagnets » Apr 13 2015 5:44pm

Slightly less current than the 20R/25R that started all the high current 18650 excitement. If the 15A continuous number is correct, a pack group of 5P modules (= 15-Ah pack) would provide 75A continuous...probably stay fairly cool if limited to only 50A continuous...

But...in exchange you get:

3000-mAh, 20% more range than the 25R
COSTS LESS than the 25R

Sounds like a winner...

from a post below, 3000-mAh HG2 20A cell from LG...the HG2 will be the 30Q cells competition

User avatar
magudaman   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 679
Joined: Jul 10 2007 5:41pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
Contact:

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by magudaman » Apr 13 2015 10:57pm

Thanks for the input guys! I placed an order and just got word the deal was too good to be true. Apparently the price was for 100 cells, not 200. :( The seller is asking that I cancel the order now and sent me a price list of all the 18650s they offer. Lame but the saying "too good to be true" always seems to work its magic. Their price lists the cell at $4.80

Seller on aliexpress: Queen Battery Supplier
Electric Motoped:
10kw Mars Brushless Etek
16s1p A123 AMP20 Pack
Kelly Ebike Brushless 350a/10kw

Nuts&Volts   100 W

100 W
Posts: 258
Joined: Mar 25 2010 6:28pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by Nuts&Volts » Apr 14 2015 9:24am

magudaman wrote:Thanks for the input guys! I placed an order and just got word the deal was too good to be true. Apparently the price was for 100 cells, not 200. :( The seller is asking that I cancel the order now and sent me a price list of all the 18650s they offer. Lame but the saying "too good to be true" always seems to work its magic. Their price lists the cell at $4.80

Seller on aliexpress: Queen Battery Supplier
Sadly that price makes a bit more sense. Still a great cell. If you dont need the extra capacity then the 25R can be had for something closer to $3.60/cell in the quantity. If you do order some 30Q cells I would love to buy 2 samples from you to test.

User avatar
ecross   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 342
Joined: Jun 11 2011 2:09pm
Location: München

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by ecross » Apr 21 2015 11:02am

magudaman wrote:Thanks for the input guys! I placed an order and just got word the deal was too good to be true. Apparently the price was for 100 cells, not 200. :( The seller is asking that I cancel the order now and sent me a price list of all the 18650s they offer. Lame but the saying "too good to be true" always seems to work its magic. Their price lists the cell at $4.80

Seller on aliexpress: Queen Battery Supplier

-my best offer from China was 3,90 USD....do you have found better pricing?
NC 2805 mod.
H4080 mod.
4504 mod.
4503 mod. with watercooling
LiIon 24S16P from Sony, Sanyo, Panasonic
Siemens 2000W travel charger

User avatar
crossbreak   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2879
Joined: Aug 02 2011 11:20am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by crossbreak » Apr 28 2015 5:18am

this is the INR18650-30R we are waiting for a long time now :) the actual quote i got was $4.85 :shock: so thx for the info given here

User avatar
riba2233   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1852
Joined: Jun 30 2013 10:23am
Location: Croatia

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by riba2233 » Apr 28 2015 6:11am

Well, it's actually Q version which is not as powerful as R version, but more powerful than E version :) I suppose that they will release the 30R version soon, we had the similar situation with 20Q and 20R.
My electric moped: http://www.evalbum.com/4966

My electric car: http://www.evalbum.com/5364

Nuts&Volts   100 W

100 W
Posts: 258
Joined: Mar 25 2010 6:28pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by Nuts&Volts » Apr 28 2015 7:33am

What about the HG version? http://www.keeppower.com.cn/products_detail.php?id=505

Looks like LG has a new trump card. Saw this pop up last week. I'll probably try to get some quotes for pricing next week.

User avatar
riba2233   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1852
Joined: Jun 30 2013 10:23am
Location: Croatia

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by riba2233 » Apr 28 2015 8:05am

Wow, now that's really something! :shock:
My electric moped: http://www.evalbum.com/4966

My electric car: http://www.evalbum.com/5364

User avatar
TheBeastie   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2042
Joined: Jul 28 2012 12:31am
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by TheBeastie » May 19 2015 1:58pm

magudaman wrote: Ok so the battery I’m not seeing much information on here is the Samsung INR18650-30Q. This is a 3000mah battery that can do 20a intermittent and 15a continuous, all for $3.18 a cell! Just like the 20R they only quote 250 cycles at that load but I hope I will get better using a lower rates. I also attached the data sheet.
Yeah that specsheet is interesting..
With standard charge and maximum continuous discharge. Capacity after 250cycles, Capacity ≥ 1,800mAh (60% of the nominal capacity at 25℃)
No other cycling data other then tested at max continuous..The only other thing it says on the matter is this "
Cycle life may be determined by conditions of charging, discharging, operating temperature and/or storage. "
Nuts&Volts wrote: If you do order some 30Q cells I would love to buy 2 samples from you to test.
You can get a twin pack from fasttech to test with, $6.89 each including free shipping.
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1420/10002357/2363400
Then post your findings to the thread! :o
Speed Kills Range, 10mph = 46 miles range, 20mph = 20 miles, 30mph = 8 miles rangehttps://goo.gl/1JNL53
Over Charging Kills ur battery bit.ly/1hzWKl4
Consider PAS as your only throttle https://goo.gl/Kg1F8F
Fuel-Cell is the ultimate battery coupled with 4th-gen Nuclear
https://goo.gl/TcKtHs https://goo.gl/ZhFFot https://goo.gl/gfa215
10 Square Miles of solar panels = 0.12GW average power! https://goo.gl/Ub1S39

okashira   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 957
Joined: Nov 17 2014 6:45pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by okashira » May 19 2015 2:22pm

TheBeastie wrote:
magudaman wrote: Ok so the battery I’m not seeing much information on here is the Samsung INR18650-30Q. This is a 3000mah battery that can do 20a intermittent and 15a continuous, all for $3.18 a cell! Just like the 20R they only quote 250 cycles at that load but I hope I will get better using a lower rates. I also attached the data sheet.
Yeah that specsheet is interesting..
With standard charge and maximum continuous discharge. Capacity after 250cycles, Capacity ≥ 1,800mAh (60% of the nominal capacity at 25℃)
No other cycling data other then tested at max continuous..The only other thing it says on the matter is this "
Cycle life may be determined by conditions of charging, discharging, operating temperature and/or storage. "
Nuts&Volts wrote: If you do order some 30Q cells I would love to buy 2 samples from you to test.
You can get a twin pack from fasttech to test with, $6.89 each including free shipping.
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1420/10002357/2363400
Then post your findings to the thread! :o
I don't see anything unusual about that.
Looks like an interesting cell. I'd like to test.
Many people don't realize that 15A continuous is a ridiculous rate for an 18650. Who wants an e-bike with 10 minute battery life?
"Peace out - I'm done."
-- Bernhard Riemann, 1859

edisonmotors.net
Tesla Model S 18650 cells - like new - and custom packs from Tesla cells for sale. Any shape Any power Any capacity.
PM me or search my threads.

okashira   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 957
Joined: Nov 17 2014 6:45pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by okashira » May 25 2015 11:21pm

I just ordered 4 of these puppies to test.
Turns out there's a local place in Houston with these in stock.
"Peace out - I'm done."
-- Bernhard Riemann, 1859

edisonmotors.net
Tesla Model S 18650 cells - like new - and custom packs from Tesla cells for sale. Any shape Any power Any capacity.
PM me or search my threads.

Nuts&Volts   100 W

100 W
Posts: 258
Joined: Mar 25 2010 6:28pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by Nuts&Volts » May 26 2015 7:43am

okashira wrote:I just ordered 4 of these puppies to test.
Turns out there's a local place in Houston with these in stock.
I've got two myself and ran some quick tests on my PL8 charger yesterday. Ran a 3.5A, 6A, and 10A discharge from 4.2V to 2.5V. Got about 2.9Ah on each test. Max temp on 10A was 75degC at the end. Performed well compared to a LG MH1 and Panasonic BD cell which both got just under 3Ah and got to 85degC on a 10A cont draw. Had to tune back the current to 5A and 7A on each cell about 60% into the discharge to keep the temp below 85degC.

I have some more cells to test and then will get the data into useful graphs, etc. later in the week. Also some higher C rate and HPPC testing when I get my arduino discharger thing working again.

30Q is performing great so far.

okashira   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 957
Joined: Nov 17 2014 6:45pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by okashira » May 26 2015 11:52am

Nuts&Volts wrote:
okashira wrote:I just ordered 4 of these puppies to test.
Turns out there's a local place in Houston with these in stock.
I've got two myself and ran some quick tests on my PL8 charger yesterday. Ran a 3.5A, 6A, and 10A discharge from 4.2V to 2.5V. Got about 2.9Ah on each test. Max temp on 10A was 75degC at the end. Performed well compared to a LG MH1 and Panasonic BD cell which both got just under 3Ah and got to 85degC on a 10A cont draw. Had to tune back the current to 5A and 7A on each cell about 60% into the discharge to keep the temp below 85degC.

I have some more cells to test and then will get the data into useful graphs, etc. later in the week. Also some higher C rate and HPPC testing when I get my arduino discharger thing working again.

30Q is performing great so far.
75C?????

Model S cells end at near 75C or less and get 3.1Ah on a 10A full draw, in my testing with a taped on thermocouple. No airflow. I consider 75C too hot.
I expected the 30Q to be _MUCH_ cooler on 10A, as in ~50C at the end of a 10A draw.
"Peace out - I'm done."
-- Bernhard Riemann, 1859

edisonmotors.net
Tesla Model S 18650 cells - like new - and custom packs from Tesla cells for sale. Any shape Any power Any capacity.
PM me or search my threads.

okashira   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 957
Joined: Nov 17 2014 6:45pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by okashira » May 31 2015 12:46am

As I suspected, this cell is a monster performer.
I was dead on in my temperature prediction. :-D
EDIT: Discharge was run at 10A. I fully calibrated the tester before this run.

Image
20150531_003814.jpg
20150531_003743.jpg
Attachments
30Q - okashira - dawnj6atgmail.png
30Q - okashira - dawnj6atgmail.png (121.13 KiB) Viewed 3861 times
"Peace out - I'm done."
-- Bernhard Riemann, 1859

edisonmotors.net
Tesla Model S 18650 cells - like new - and custom packs from Tesla cells for sale. Any shape Any power Any capacity.
PM me or search my threads.

User avatar
riba2233   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1852
Joined: Jun 30 2013 10:23am
Location: Croatia

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by riba2233 » May 31 2015 10:23am

Really nice! Could you also do 15 and 20A graph? With temperatures of course :)

I would really like to see some cycle testing of this one.
My electric moped: http://www.evalbum.com/4966

My electric car: http://www.evalbum.com/5364

litespeed   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1424
Joined: Aug 11 2010 4:42pm
Location: St. Peters, Missouri

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by litespeed » May 31 2015 1:11pm

Nice cell!

Tom
I'm married so you know I'm no stranger to pain!

okashira   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 957
Joined: Nov 17 2014 6:45pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by okashira » May 31 2015 9:14pm

riba2233 wrote:Really nice! Could you also do 15 and 20A graph? With temperatures of course :)

I would really like to see some cycle testing of this one.
I will have to see if I can run two channels in parallel to get 20 amps. Hopefully.
Each channel maxes out at 10A.

Cycling is still broken. The cycle command just does a wait and stops. I can only do 9 steps (charge cc/cv, discharge cc, wait)

I have asked the manufacturer to increase sample rate, add more then 10 steps (asked for 20+) and of course fix the cycle command. They said they would to all 3....
"Peace out - I'm done."
-- Bernhard Riemann, 1859

edisonmotors.net
Tesla Model S 18650 cells - like new - and custom packs from Tesla cells for sale. Any shape Any power Any capacity.
PM me or search my threads.

Nuts&Volts   100 W

100 W
Posts: 258
Joined: Mar 25 2010 6:28pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by Nuts&Volts » May 31 2015 9:16pm

Awesome test!! I'm guessing my setup needs some work. My temperature gun is probably shit. I'll try a thermocouple and arduino next. I trust the current of my PL8, but the rest of the setup is suspect.

I'd love to see a 1C discharge if you have the time.

okashira   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 957
Joined: Nov 17 2014 6:45pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by okashira » Jun 01 2015 9:30pm

Updated with 3A discharge, and another 10A discharge.
I stopped the 3A discharge at 2.7V.

Image
Attachments
30Q #2 - okashira - dawnj6atgmail.png
30Q #2 - okashira - dawnj6atgmail.png (132.54 KiB) Viewed 3840 times
"Peace out - I'm done."
-- Bernhard Riemann, 1859

edisonmotors.net
Tesla Model S 18650 cells - like new - and custom packs from Tesla cells for sale. Any shape Any power Any capacity.
PM me or search my threads.

Nuts&Volts   100 W

100 W
Posts: 258
Joined: Mar 25 2010 6:28pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by Nuts&Volts » Jun 02 2015 10:43am

okashira wrote:Updated with 3A discharge, and another 10A discharge.
I stopped the 3A discharge at 2.7V.
Thanks man! Did you happen to weigh these cells? I realized my scale doesnt have enough resolution.

okashira   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 957
Joined: Nov 17 2014 6:45pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by okashira » Jun 02 2015 1:18pm

Nuts&Volts wrote:
okashira wrote:Updated with 3A discharge, and another 10A discharge.
I stopped the 3A discharge at 2.7V.
Thanks man! Did you happen to weigh these cells? I realized my scale doesnt have enough resolution.
No, i'd guess 47-48.5g.
"Peace out - I'm done."
-- Bernhard Riemann, 1859

edisonmotors.net
Tesla Model S 18650 cells - like new - and custom packs from Tesla cells for sale. Any shape Any power Any capacity.
PM me or search my threads.

okashira   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 957
Joined: Nov 17 2014 6:45pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Samsung 30Q INR18650-30Q 3000mah 15a cell

Post by okashira » Jun 02 2015 11:05pm

The mfr of my tester says it could work in theory to use channels in parallel. So I can try to run a 20A discharge, even up to 80A, since it is possible to start all channels at the same time.
I did weigh three cells. They came in at 46.1g, 46.1g, 46.1g. Model S cell wrapped: 47.5g.
"Peace out - I'm done."
-- Bernhard Riemann, 1859

edisonmotors.net
Tesla Model S 18650 cells - like new - and custom packs from Tesla cells for sale. Any shape Any power Any capacity.
PM me or search my threads.

Post Reply