Adopting Power Tool Batteries to Our Broader Uses

blisspacket

100 W
Home Despot today has 4Ah 18volt replacements 2 for $100.
I can see the time when your bike carrier has three or four plug-in receptacles for a Makita or DeWalt or whomever lithium batteries. You wheel out your electric bike, grab a battery from your string trimmer, another from the recip saw, a third from the drill, and make your trip downtown with either pedalassist or full electric. Get back, plug the batteries into the factory-engineered charger, and soon you're ready to prune or trim or drill or be off for another ride. This time you ride down to the boatyard and transfer the battery packs to your dinghy, put an extra one into your eutectic cooler, and motor off for some nearby fishing with a six-pack in the fridge.

Some people have already done this on their bikes. DeWalt packs when they still used A123 cells were the first (a commercial product by NeoDymics was even started using those), and I think some Bosch and other packs have also been used that way, so they can be used with their original chargers.

I think Harold in CR is presently working on something like that, too.

Hmmm ?...I foresee issues around ensuring individual packs are at similar state of charge before you swap them from your power tool, vac cleaner, hedge trimmer , etc ..and plug them into a Ebike .?
And then there was the post from a guy who arranged about 30 power tool packs onto a rear carrier of his bike.... :shock:
But the larger 48-60 volt, 6+ Ahr power tool packs may well come in handy. :wink:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=68750

What you want is the new mower batteries. One version or another of 48v, and 4 ah packs. Two of those can run a "legal power level" bike pretty nice. Two for $100 on those would be seriously nice! but it aint happening.

Yes, you wouldn't grab one off the trimmer, another off the saw. You'd grab them off the charger, full. Only downside, still needing 18v or whatever size batteries for your drills and such.

20150502_145724.jpg

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=68281&start=25

I made one of these and it works with the stock charger ( just pull them out and plug in ). The specs are in my post and I'll post a how-to guide when I've tested it further ( so far, so good ).
The individual packs are are within 0.1 volts before and after my rides. I've also labeled them to keep track of the 3 pc set. I also sewed a bag, added a wood mount to connect to my bike and also connect a generic ebike voltmeter/speedometer.
I'll post some pics when the rain lets up.

blisspacket said:
I can see the time when your bike carrier has three or four plug-in receptacles for a Makita or DeWalt or whomever lithium batteries.

7 years ago... Milwaukee V28 packs. Worked really, really well. Tool pack batteries haven't been as cheap as that since as far as I know.

DSCN3504.JPG

DSCN3496.JPG

DSCN3546.JPG

Yep PWB! My wife is still using 6 Bosch Fatpacks purchased when they were 45 bucks apiece delivered. I think about 4.5 years ago. I remember when you put that bike together to go up mountain trails.
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
I remember when you put that bike together to go up mountain trails.

Heya otherDoc! The "good old days" huh. I dislocated my shoulder in 2012 hitting a very deep patch of gravel and haven't ridden since, but I still have a sweet Nine Cont 2810 build that just needs a new battery (poor konions pretty dead now) and want to commute up the mountain again this summer (older/wiser/slower haha)! Researching triangle battery builds now. Want pre-made, ready to go batt. Over home built batts. Too much work. Probably just use cell_man triangle pack. Doesn't seem like much has changed in the last 3 years battery-wise. :?

IMG_0614.JPG

What I have planned, is, take the top off Dewalt 18V batteries, and mod them to fit plastic house switch boxes, and place 2
sets of 1S 5P Konion packs in parallel inside those switch boxes. Then, plug into the charger and any dewalt power tool I need, especially drill motors. Could also make bike battery sets as shown above. I have a bunch of Konion cells. :wink:

Dewalt is now using pouch cells as a 20V battery, but, be warned. My son bought the set and one battery completely gets discharged while the other cuts off at an LVC designation. He contacted dewalt and they said to send it to them by their mail pickup, but, he needs to be careful it doesn't get crazy and cause a problem, being discharged so low.

I believe I saw a sale on those pouch batteries for 2-$100.00. Just need to watch home depot and similar for sales.

I still use Bosch Fat Pack 37V batteries...

BFPs naked.jpg

http://ebikerider.blogspot.com/search?q=bosch+fat+pack

They are just indestructible and last forever.

20150606_185704.jpg

Harold in CR said:
What I have planned, is, take the top off Dewalt 18V batteries, and mod them to fit plastic house switch boxes, and place 2
sets of 1S 5P Konion packs in parallel inside those switch boxes. Then, plug into the charger and any dewalt power tool I need, especially drill motors. Could also make bike battery sets as shown above. I have a bunch of Konion cells. :wink:

Dewalt is now using pouch cells as a 20V battery, but, be warned. My son bought the set and one battery completely gets discharged while the other cuts off at an LVC designation. He contacted dewalt and they said to send it to them by their mail pickup, but, he needs to be careful it doesn't get crazy and cause a problem, being discharged so low.

I believe I saw a sale on those pouch batteries for 2-$100.00. Just need to watch home depot and similar for sales.

Old post...but:
Dewalt is using 18650 cells currently. not all that different from the Tesla Cells.

I'm currently using 6 4ah 20V Max packs for my bike.

Just use the echo "58" volt 4 ah packs. I put a low power cheap ebike together just using one of those packs at 20 amps for a buddy of mine. He has been running several cycles a day on it for weeks now with no problem.

Re the Makita batteries. There's a thread dealing with "docks" that are pretty complete units to help mount/tap the LXT battery. AND, Makita has a more basic one, they label it a "terminal"
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/terminal-p-719473.html?q=Makita%20%20643852-2

These look interesting.

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2018/05/10/1500604/0/en/Milwaukee-Tool-Announces-the-Next-Breakthrough-in-M18-FUEL.html

Back