Tool Packs, Series or Parallel?

etard

100 kW
I want to get the Dewalt 28 or 36 volt lithium pack but I don't know if the internal BMS will allow these batteries to be run in series or in parallel. I want to keep the pack intact, run 4 2s2p or 1s4p, and just charge on the factory charger. If this pack does not support this setup, is there any that will (Bosch, Milwaukee, Makita)?

Oh man... there is soooooooooo much reading on this forum already about this topic... in a nutshell... DeWalt... not so much... Milwaukee parallel as much as you want, protect with diodes 3s or more. Bosch.. people are working on it with good success so far. Rigids parallel fine as well... don't know about series capabilities... etc.. etc.. etc.. :D

Have fun searching! It can get addictive so remember to eat and sleep. :wink:

View attachment esearch.jpg

I know, I have been losing sleep over this stuff! I appreciate the synopsis, sometimes its easier to ask questions rather than slug it out with search attempts. I think I will go with milwaukee

Give serious consideration to Makita/konion cells too... I'm starting to convert my battery love from emoli to konion just based on what I'm experiencing with my Milwaukee packs. They are awesome overall, but I'm punishing them fairly hard and they are not really standing up to it with quite a dip in capacity after only like 115 cycles @ 5-8c, but my little konion test packs are taking unbelievable abuse and still happily delivering. Just a thought. The good thing about the Milwaukees is that even when they are destroyed, in theory, I should be able to get them replaced under warranty. Kinda makes me feel dirty and wrong, but is it my fault they make a great battery with a great warranty even though I can still kill them with an ebike? :wink:

Well I like the price of these Ridgids(2 on ebay for $150), now that I know they are the same as used in the Milwaukees. And I was just talking to the tool saleman at Home Depot and found out about that LIFETIME warranty :twisted: . Now, I wonder if there is some sort of limiter on amp draw. What kind of amps can you draw out of your Milwaukees?

Contact TylerDurden on the Rigids he uses them because of the warranty/for his tools etc. etc. He's running 2s2p if I remember right.

During the steepest part of my commute I usually see around 2.2kw sustained on my CA so let's see... at 72v under 12v of sag that would be around 30a sustained. CA registers bursts up to around 56-60a. I've seen 40a or so sustained for a dozen seconds or so when I'm mushing the motor full throttle at slow speeds trying to get back up to full speed up a hill (usually because a deer, elk or coyote jumped in front of me). I'm pretty sure each Milwaukee pack trips above 20a so my 2p should be fine for 40a sustained I would think... which is right around 8c for my pack.

Back