Data logging balance charger

Hillhater

100 TW
Sydney ..(Hilly part !) .. Australia/ Down under !
looking for another balance charger with data logging for graphing charge/discharge profiles onto a PC.
What are the current favorites ?.. i am aware of the Ichargers, but i suspect there are some newer units with more or better functions available now.
What is best
What is cheapest
What to avoid

Thanks

dnmun said:
yes, the D141 from bestechpower will record data too up to 13S, lots of data including internal resistance.
It uses bq34z100 chip, which means while it can measure temperature, overall voltage and current (and calculate SOC), it can not measure individual voltages.
I may have a BMS solution for up to 16s, with full logging.

Its not easy getting firm info on this question re data logging /PC link and logview compatibility...
Im 95% sure now the 300w Reaktor will do this, (some reports of it not functioning ?) but not so sure about the 250W version ??..anyone comment.
also, whilst the Icharger 106b+ is a certainty,..but much more $$$s !..and the one thing i do know about RC chargers is they are all doomed to fail eventually..
..so spending more money than necessary is a not too smart !
Cheap options include the Thunder T6Pro (@ $40) which has USB/PC connection, but the supplier says it definitely will not support data transfer ??
https://www.toysonics.com/thunder-t6-pro-80w-6a-1-6-cells-digital-lipo-balance-charger.html

Another new possibility is the OCday DP6, 180W, (@ $50 ) which definitely has USB connectivity, but again not sure about Logview data functionality ? :x :?
Anybody tried one ?
http://www.banggood.com/OCDAY-DP6-180W-16A-1-6S-Multifunctional-Lipo-Battery-Balance-Charger-p-982467.html?currency=USD&createTmp=1&utm_source=ebay&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=saul&utm_campaign=quad-US&ebay
[youtube]ueM_rtMK20Q[/youtube]
It seems crazy to have to spend $100+ on a 300W charger just to get data log ability ??

anybody have a link to a good RC charger review site. ?

OK
just to tidy this up a bit..
I now realize that our friends HK have revised several of their chargers, including the base model Accucel 6 50W, 6 Amp,.. and now also have a Accucel 6 80W (10 amp).
Both these have been revised to include USB connectivity and data log transfer for graphing etc. ( if the specs are correct ?)
These are both $30-$40 chargers and would seem to be the entry level way to get data logging & PC connectivity.
..now, if only they had the high current feedback discharge function ! :cry: :lol:

If you have ever seen me post cell charts its all just from a Cell-Log USB version (don't buy the one that doesn't have the USB port as it won't record etc)
Then get a watt meter for the other half of it...
If you want to do discharge tests just hook up some of these 100w car halogen lights in series and or parallel depending on how high you want your discharge to be. You can get them for about 1$ each..
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=car+halogen&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xcar+halogen+light.TRS1&_nkw=car+halogen+light&_sacat=0

Most chargers that can do discharge graphs etc are meant for a single cell test because they can't expend much heat/energy as having large ohm resistors with heat sinks on them etc will drive up the cost considerably.

One that can do a more heavy discharge etc will cost a lot of money.. I think building your own saves money and gives considerably more flexibility.

If its just about seeing total Ah Wh going in then just hook a watt meter to your charger. You can still stick on USB cell-logs as well if you want.

If you don't want a ugly setup then I think you have to spend big.

Be careful what you buy from HK.

I have attempted to buy a data logging charger from HK on several occasion.

Each time, advertised with USB port and data logging.

Each time, received with an empty USB port and no actual data logging ability. Each time sent back and refund received. I've given up on it for the time being, will be attending an RC shop when it becomes a necessity.

theres a Sky RC charger which also has bluetooth ability as well as data logging which will be my pick of the bunch.

Thanks Guys,
I have do the Wattmeter thing, Cellogs, and the halogen bulbs for discharge, IR, etc, but now I want to " automate" the process a bit more,
The Reaktor will definitely do data logging and IR measurement , as well as high current discharge ( regen into another battery) mainly because it's a duplicate of the Icharger 206b, but at half price.
Those new Accucel 6s from HK are also shown in RC reviews to have USB data links now for sure.
But the interesting one is the OCDay DP6, which will charge and discharge at 16A, log IR, as well as all the other tricks, ( watch the video) and it's only US$50 delivered ! (Au $70 )
I just am not prepared to put over $100 into another charger that I know will die within a few years !

I wouldn't trust IR measurement of those charges. Many measurements have shown that those are not even close to the real value. They are ok to see if a pack is matched but not more. A better idea is to measure resting voltage, apply a high load and measure load voltage. Then use Ohm's law to calculate IR.

izeman said:
I wouldn't trust IR measurement of those charges. Many measurements have shown that those are not even close to the real value. They are ok to see if a pack is matched but not more. A better idea is to measure resting voltage, apply a high load and measure load voltage. Then use Ohm's law to calculate IR.
That is what I currently do, but with a data logging charger that can do high current discharges (10+Amps) , you can use that data on a PC to auto calculate IR... At any stage of discharge !
...and compare to the IR readings from the charger :wink:
..But first you have to collect the data !

Back