Hyperion 1420i net3 replacement?

august23

10 W
Hello folks! I have a custom built 13s10p Li-Ion battery pack (48v pack with 156 samsung 18650 cells making is a 13s-12p pack). I was using the Hyperion 1420i net3 to charge it but it died last night. I went to go find a another one and it seems that Hyperion.hk has been acquired and the charger is out of production... POOF GONE. I found one on amazon for $170 but I'm leery as I don't want to end up with the last one with no support.

So, My question is: Can someone recommend a charger that will charge and balance a 13 cell battery pack? If not, what other options do I have? I'd like to keep it under $150USD if possible.
Thanks in Advance!
August

Bulk charger with BMS? Or balance charge in two shots with this 9S balance charger that charges fast as it doesn't go into balance charge mode, it is in fact 9 1S chargers in one convenient package. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/UNRC...-300W-Battery-Balance-Charger/1913444173.html

Or there is the Thunder Power TP1430C which charges up to 14S like the Hyperion did. But it is expensive.
http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-parts/TP1430C/RC-PARTS-CHARGERS-BALANCERS-POWER.html

Or maybe a bulk charger and BMS?

I would rather not have to break apart and re-wire my 13s pack just so I can charge it. I use this pack on my electric scooter and I have to charge it about every other day. The Thundercat is exactly what I need, but yeah... wow it's expensive. So those are my only two options?!?!

Thanks for the reply.

yes, but only one main feed (pos and neg - 54.4v fully charged). I like to balance charge them. I know for a fact that 2 of the 13 cells are weak and won't deal well with over charging (aka VS charge Then balance). Or am I thinking incorrectly? This is my first lithium-ion battery (though I've been using it for a few years now).

august23 said:
yes, but only one main feed (pos and neg - 54.4v fully charged). I like to balance charge them. I know for a fact that 2 of the 13 cells are weak and won't deal well with over charging (aka VS charge Then balance). Or am I thinking incorrectly? This is my first lithium-ion battery (though I've been using it for a few years now).

FYI the UNA9 Plus 9S LiPo balance charger will balance only through the balance connectors. So if you have like a 7S connector and a 6S connector you just do one after the other.

I guess I'm confused. I was under the impression that if I were to charge the battery with only one of the balance connectors (like the 7s first) other half of the battery would charge without any balancing (potentially over charging the other 6 cells). Am I wrong in thinking this?

august23 said:
I guess I'm confused. I was under the impression that if I were to charge the battery with only one of the balance connectors (like the 7s first) other half of the battery would charge without any balancing (potentially over charging the other 6 cells). Am I wrong in thinking this?
Yes.

Ok so the electricity flows through the unconnected cells without charging them? I wish I had a diagram or video showing how the electricity flows to balance/charge the batteries cells. The impression I had was that the balance wires acted like a gate, stopping the flow to the fully charged cells, while allowing electrons to flow to the other cells. Hence my last assumption

so you're saying that I can connect the battery's main leads to the charger, and connect just One of the balance jacks, It'll only charge those corresponding cells (without effecting the other cells, even though I have power going through the whole battery)?

august23 said:
so you're saying that I can connect the battery's main leads to the charger, and connect just One of the balance jacks, It'll only charge those corresponding cells (without effecting the other cells, even though I have power going through the whole battery)?

No. What I said above is that the 9S charger I linked only uses the balance leads to charge your battery. The main leads are not used, not connected to the charger. That is why you can charge one half of your battery at a time.

august23 said:
Hello folks! I have a custom built 13s10p Li-Ion battery pack (48v pack with 156 samsung 18650 cells making is a 13s-12p pack). I was using the Hyperion 1420i net3 to charge it but it died last night. I went to go find a another one and it seems that Hyperion.hk has been acquired and the charger is out of production... POOF GONE. I found one on amazon for $170 but I'm leery as I don't want to end up with the last one with no support.

So, My question is: Can someone recommend a charger that will charge and balance a 13 cell battery pack? If not, what other options do I have? I'd like to keep it under $150USD if possible.
Thanks in Advance!
August

-TP-1430

-Graupner Ultra Duo Plus 45
-Graupner Polaron Pro
-for up to 14S

-Robbe Futaba E-1, or Eternity
-for up to 14S

-Schulze 14-801
-for up to 14S

-I use after my 1420..... the Graupner Stuff, because good price and costomer service.

-hopefully I could help you a little bit

mistercrash said:
august23 said:

No. What I said above is that the 9S charger I linked only uses the balance leads to charge your battery. The main leads are not used, not connected to the charger. That is why you can charge one half of your battery at a time.

oh I totally get that! thanks for the explination

Back