Question: Fast charging 1s (mobile battery)?

helpfulguy

10 W
Hey guys,
My phone have a ~3000mah 1s battery (LG G3). Not sure about exact chemistry.
Li ion batteries can safely be charged quite fast up to a certain percentage, ~80% or so. Some phones have this incorporated in the charging circuit, most prominently the qualcomm "quick charge 2.0" feature. Since the phone also is the charger - the charging time is dependant on the phone itself having this chip. My phone does not. I dont want to buy a new one, but want this feature. So why the hell don't we make our own cool DYI battery chargers/docking stations, that charge our _removed_ batteries to 80% in ~15 min instead of 2 hours?

There must exist some 1s smart charger that is capable of this, to create a small docking station around?
Would be great, and raise awareness/introduction to people to feel confident with battery- and charging technology for an EV-future! =D

You would need about 10 amp charge rate to do that, so any of the cheaper 10A , RC chargers should be able to give you that on a single cell setting, with a timer inbuilt also
How much does a new phone battery cost in case it all goes wrong ? :lol:

helpfulguy said:
Hey guys,
My phone have a ~3000mah 1s battery (LG G3). Not sure about exact chemistry.
Li ion batteries can safely be charged quite fast up to a certain percentage, ~80% or so. Some phones have this incorporated in the charging circuit, most prominently the qualcomm "quick charge 2.0" feature. Since the phone also is the charger - the charging time is dependant on the phone itself having this chip. My phone does not. I dont want to buy a new one, but want this feature. So why the hell don't we make our own cool DYI battery chargers/docking stations, that charge our _removed_ batteries to 80% in ~15 min instead of 2 hours?

There must exist some 1s smart charger that is capable of this, to create a small docking station around?
Would be great, and raise awareness/introduction to people to feel confident with battery- and charging technology for an EV-future! =D
Luke did this (lifeforphysics), I believe he adapted nanotech cell in his phone. But someone said this guy has melon size brass balls. :lol:

parabellum said:
helpfulguy said:
Hey guys,
Luke did this (lifeforphysics), I believe he adapted nanotech cell in his phone. But someone said this guy has melon size brass balls. :lol:

Indeed he has! I was looking to keep stock battery but change charger to more powerful one, any tips? =)

Hillhater said:
You would need about 10 amp charge rate to do that, so any of the cheaper 10A , RC chargers should be able to give you that on a single cell setting, with a timer inbuilt also
How much does a new phone battery cost in case it all goes wrong ? :lol:

I think a spare genuine battery is like €30 ($35-40) :p
Can such a battery can take that rate of charging? What charger should you use, any hk-charger?

Can such a battery can take that rate of charging? ...
who knows ? ..thats the whole point of trying isnt it ? :lol:
.. What charger should you use, any hk-charger?
any that can supply a regulated 10A , but ideally one that will also log V, A, temp, Ahrs, etc data, and cycle charge/discharge to monitor how capacity is affected with repeated fast charging.

helpfulguy said:
parabellum said:
helpfulguy said:
Hey guys,

Indeed he has! I was looking to keep stock battery but change charger to more powerful one, any tips? =)
Your balls must be even bigger then, keep your camera handy if you want to charge regular BS phone battery in 15 minutes. Just added popcorn in my to buy list.

Back