18650 charging/discharging system - share yours!

Synon

10 W
As someone who wanted to go with the "used laptop battery" route due to having a good source of batteries I recognized how tedious it is individually test the hundreds of cells I have, in fact if I did have to do them one at a time I would have given up a long time ago. So here are some jigs I built to expedite the process, hopefully this will help others who are thinking about doing the same thing. I also like to spend as little money as possible, it seems insane to go out and buy all these little individual chargers.

Of course I owe everything I've learned to this forum and the helpful people here. Special thanks to DrkAngel's posts about testing these, the discharging station is based on his method with the light bulbs.

Here is a list of everything used:
Power supply: old computer power supply
Charger: Thunder 1220
Battery contact plates: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331580267154?rmvSB=true
Some scrap wood, copper wire, light bulbs and a switch

Mass charging
Each of these battery sleds holds 30 cells. One side has the battery contact plates attached with hot glue to the wood, some 10 gauge copper has been soldered along the entire length. The other side is some flat headed screws with copper wire weaved through before the screws were tightened down. When I have a sufficient amount of cells to charge, I sort them by voltage and load the lowest batch first (within .1 volts), charge them until they reach the voltage of the next batch to be loaded... rinse and repeat until all cells are loaded. I usually have both sleds in parallel if I have enough cells. Then it's just a waiting game until everything is charged. A lot of my batteries have 2/3 cells still connected on tabs and I now leave them that way, so I can charge up to 180 cells at a time. Obviously everything is in parallel, take great care in making sure you put the cells in with the correct orientation.

charging.jpg

Mass discharge
As mentioned earlier, DrkAngel's post was the inspiration for this. 30 cells in series, I use the same battery contact plates at the ends connected by copper wire and use the same plates in between cells (you can see them scattered around). Sorry I don't have a pic of this thing loaded up, but you get the idea. I test the voltage after loading each "string" of 5 cells to make sure there is contact. When everything is loaded you end up with 120v and two 60watt lightbults discharging the system, each hour equals 1Ah off each cell, nice and easy math. I have a small switch to turn the light on and off. I take measurements off every cell 15 minutes with my multimeter (while the system is discharging), I keep a log of each measurement. Instead of measuring, writing down, measuring, writing down... I use my iphone and just turn on the voice recorder and measure all the cells, then play it back and write it down... much much faster.

discharging.jpg

Anyway, hopefully this helps others come up with some ideas. If you have your own system share some pictures and tell us how it works!

My setup

View attachment 2

Multi purpose balance charger.

It can balance 4 individual lipo packs @ 3 amps or less using regular jst's or It can balance 24s lipo @ 8 amps per cell or parallel group. I have a monster adapter cable made up soldered directly to the balance charger boards bypassing the jst connectors.

Recently added 18650 functionality by plugging the adapter cable into 18650 cell holders.
The balance chargers can charge and log output energy for 24 individual cells. Having a display for each cell is pretty nice.
The chargers can also discharge up to 1 amp per cell making it easy to do multiple shallow cycles for 24 cells without a lot of handling.

Unfortunately the chargers do not log discharge capacity, thats why i purchased 6 of these Resistance / capacity testers from ebay.

s-l400.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-Battery-Capacity-Tester-Battery-Life-Internal-Resistance-Analyzer-/171761180936?hash=item27fdc3a108:m:mTEy0WVq_pFiSjCxSzUdcFQ

Plus one of these to use the 4 wire Internal resistance function.
s-l400-2.jpg

I had a lot of of 18650 cells piling up some from old bikes some vpower packs and a bunch of konion cells from old bionics kits. Have a buddy that works at a bike shop all the ebike stuff they don't care to deal with like batteries go to me.

So far I got over 300 good cells that normally would be discarded or left on a shelf to die.

Cheers

Matt

Synon said:
As someone who wanted to go with the "used laptop battery" route due to having a good source of batteries I recognized how tedious it is individually test the hundreds of cells I have, in fact if I did have to do them one at a time I would have given up a long time ago. So here are some jigs I built to expedite the process, hopefully this will help others who are thinking about doing the same thing. I also like to spend as little money as possible, it seems insane to go out and buy all these little individual chargers.

Of course I owe everything I've learned to this forum and the helpful people here. Special thanks to DrkAngel's posts about testing these, the discharging station is based on his method with the light bulbs.

Here is a list of everything used:
Power supply: old computer power supply
Charger: Thunder 1220
Battery contact plates: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331580267154?rmvSB=true
Some scrap wood, copper wire, light bulbs and a switch

Mass charging
Each of these battery sleds holds 30 cells. One side has the battery contact plates attached with hot glue to the wood, some 10 gauge copper has been soldered along the entire length. The other side is some flat headed screws with copper wire weaved through before the screws were tightened down. When I have a sufficient amount of cells to charge, I sort them by voltage and load the lowest batch first (within .1 volts), charge them until they reach the voltage of the next batch to be loaded... rinse and repeat until all cells are loaded. I usually have both sleds in parallel if I have enough cells. Then it's just a waiting game until everything is charged. A lot of my batteries have 2/3 cells still connected on tabs and I now leave them that way, so I can charge up to 180 cells at a time. Obviously everything is in parallel, take great care in making sure you put the cells in with the correct orientation.

charging.jpg

Mass discharge
As mentioned earlier, DrkAngel's post was the inspiration for this. 30 cells in series, I use the same battery contact plates at the ends connected by copper wire and use the same plates in between cells (you can see them scattered around). Sorry I don't have a pic of this thing loaded up, but you get the idea. I test the voltage after loading each "string" of 5 cells to make sure there is contact. When everything is loaded you end up with 120v and two 60watt lightbults discharging the system, each hour equals 1Ah off each cell, nice and easy math. I have a small switch to turn the light on and off. I take measurements off every cell 15 minutes with my multimeter (while the system is discharging), I keep a log of each measurement. Instead of measuring, writing down, measuring, writing down... I use my iphone and just turn on the voice recorder and measure all the cells, then play it back and write it down... much much faster.

discharging.jpg

Anyway, hopefully this helps others come up with some ideas. If you have your own system share some pictures and tell us how it works!

this is border line genius :) i attempted some other method. but this imo is the must efficient i have seen so far. and easy to built. i'm making a copy for myself :).

I haven't been testing cells in a while so mine is disassembled but these are the components I use.. From top to bottom of my crappy cell pic, ThunderPower 1010C charger, an 8 cell parallel bulk charging rack , 8 cell serial discharge rack, a watt meter amp hour meter and a Cellog 8S battery checker with USB output.

In practice I bulk charge 8 cells at a time and then discharge them through 3 x 12v tail light bulbs in series through the watt meter while monitoring the individual cell voltage through an 8 cell JST connector with the Cellog feeding an old Windows 7 laptop running the graphing software. You can draw pretty graphs of each cells discharge curve and by turning on and off the discharge current you can get a decent idea of the internal resistance of them as well, read the voltage swing right off the graph.

I have the Cellog configured to alarm if any cell in the series discharge string goes below the minimum cell voltage I've chosen, it shouldn't be difficult to wire into a relay to cut off the discharge current automatically but I haven't found it necessary to do that since I'm always watching the graphs anyway. Since the charger can charge 8 cells in parallel about as fast as I usually discharge 8 cells in series if I set up a pipeline for the process I can do about 4 cells an hour spending ten minutes every other hour to change cells out and whatever time I spend glancing at the graphs on the laptop in the meantime.

18650_tester_1.jpg

question. how did you hook the light up for discharge? there is no positive or negative in AC. so any polarity will work? also can i just cut the cord off my desk lamp and wire it up? thanks.

clockwork247 said:
question. how did you hook the light up for discharge? there is no positive or negative in AC. so any polarity will work? also can i just cut the cord off my desk lamp and wire it up? thanks.

That's correct, doesn't matter which way it's wired up. Yes, just cut the cord, I used an old bathroom light fixture. Or if you have a spare AC outlet you could just wire it up to that and plug your lamp right into that if you don't want to cut the cord.

Back