Multistar 2c/3c packs ?

Hillhater

100 TW
Sydney ..(Hilly part !) .. Australia/ Down under !
Anybody tried these 2C rated Multistar packs ?
Feedback ?
A have a specific situation rebuilding a Custom OE battery case which had some oddball "Psylion" cells inside , and the dimensions are such that ONLY the 4S, 6ahr , 2c, Multistar packs will fit to make a 12ah pack !
The bike only needs 15 amps Max , but knowing that the 10c Multistar is really only suggested to run at ~3C or so, ...I am wary of committing to these 2c packs
..any experience out there ?

Thanks, I have read that thread , but there is only one small passing reference to the 2/3C rated Multistars, and no test data or user feedback that I could find ? :cry:
Currently, these are selling really cheap..$130/kWhr !

The only multistar lipo I have on my E trike is for the head lights and tail lights. I run turnigy 20c in 4p config, my trike pulls max 60amps and the lipo pack I build can take up to 400amps continuous or 600amps burst. That's if you believe what Hobbyking shows on the label. So pulling 20c will produce X amount of life cycle. Now if I created a pack that only pulls 10c of the recommended 20c then my life cycle on it doubles. The multistar line of lipos from all I have read in quad and fpv flyers forums is that if you pull the C rating that is on the label then the battery tend to be on the warmer side compared to another lipo that is rated @ 20c. Also they notice large voltage sag which cause the Quad to land earlier due to the voltage drop and having a LVC autoland function. But once the battery was allowed to rest the voltage would rise back up. If you take that information and say you want to run your lipo to 80% capacity and not have the controller cut power due to voltage sag during hard acceleration or going up a hill. Taking that information then you would want to run max 5c on these cells to prevent or reduce the large voltage sag so you are able to drain the battery to 80%. Now if you want to double the life cycle of these lipos then running it 2/3c will double that life. I believe that is why they are rated @ 2/3C.

First determine how much amps your system will need and add some to be on the safe side.
C rating really only matters if you build the bare requirement pack.
If 25amps is what you need and multistar is recommended for ebikes @ 2/3c then a 5000mah pack @ 2c will max out @ 10amps. If you get a 16,000mah then 2c is 32amps.

All of this is just conjecture but I hope it helps.

Simonvtr, thanks for the info, but I think you misunderstand my question..
There is a lot of experience , feedback, test data , etc etc on this forum with the HK Multistar Lipo in its 10/20C rated form. ( I also use it )
But HK also sell some Multistar packs rated only at 2/3C .
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=77801
These are lighter, smaller, and cheaper , than even the other Multistar packs of similar capacity and configuration.
(But I particularly need the smaller physical dimensions )
...However , I cannot find any info on how these packs may perform at 1-2C constant load.
Prior experience on most HK Lipo is only to expect it to perform at 1/4..1/2 it's rating, so I was looking to see if the same experience applied to these.

If you get the 12,000 mah that would put you right around 24amps @ 2c.
Lipo with lower C rating usually means they have high internal resistance (IR).
Depending on the application and size of your motor you might not be to happy with full throttle from a dead stop with these lipo's.
Or you will notice very large voltage sag during acceleration or hill climbs.

Have not found any info on them for ebike used yet only endurance fpv flights.

2c multistar discussion starts on page 17.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2207137&page=17

Someone on reddit said those cells are GEB8043125 I was able to find some info doing a search on the cell.
Seems like they are high density but low amp battery. People are using them in large motor/props builds for long flight time and low amp draw.
If you compare the weight of the 8s 2c 12ah vs the same brand 6s 10c 12ah the 2c is ligther.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Multicopter/comments/44611s/making_progress_with_my_custom_build/

The appeal of these 2c multistar lipo's are gear more towards the endurance flyers with setup that pulls only 14amps.
Even when you say your setup only requires 25amps running 1p configuration you will be on the edge and might end up with low life cycle running the pack at max discharge.
100grams of weight saving is not much for us ebikes but if space is a concern then you might end up being disappointed with the life cycle.

The 25 amp figure is an absolute max limit the controller will allow.
Normal, will be more like 5-10 amp "pulses" as its a low power 200W Pedalec assist town bike.
At the moment , I am just hoping the 2c Multistar will be no worse than similar rated 18650's (PF or 29E's ) as far as voltage sag goes.
I really must sort out some data logging so I know exactly what % of time that peak 24 amp figure is reached , and what is happening with voltage sag ?
Thanks again for the links.

Well, after a LOT of googling I finally dug up a 1C discharge graph for these lightweight 2C cells.
It's becoming apparent that these cells are on par with high capacity 18650's for energy density (260W/kg ) and as such have set some endurance records amongst the RC flight enthusiasts.
Their discharge performance also seems similar to 18650's with significant sag ( not surprising on a 2C cell)
Maybe anyone planning a distance record on a Ebike should also consider these ?

curtesy of RC groups forums...a constant 94 Watt. (6-8 amp ? ) discharge on a 4S , 6amp pack...time based.
a8526113-179-MS%20HD%20pack%20graph.PNG

Back