actual 18650 cell anode end dimensions

kenkad

100 W
I am wondering why Sony provides the attached JPG of their VTC5 cell dimensions and yet when I communicate with cell suppliers they say that the anode top is absolutely flush with the shrink wrap edge. Can anyone shed more light on this question?

Attachments

• 18650 dimension SonyVTC5.jpg
    18650 dimension SonyVTC5.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,914
Probably because the picture is not titled properly. Go with what your vendors say. They are looking at the cells they have.

Edit: I just looked at the picture again, if you look at the .02 gap measurement at the bottom of the picture, it relates to the + or - tollerences at the top of the picture.

:D

Great question and one I've sort of asked myself.

So far as I know there are two types of tops, button and flat. It honestly looks like that is an image of a protected cell or something, on the left or top of that cell there is a smaller segment of rectangle which might be a protection PCB, maybe a few MM thick. I could be wrong though. However, it might be that these cells often start off as flat top cells and then the button is often added one another or another either for some form of more ideal contact in certain situations or as part of the protection PCB, probably more to it than I imagine.

Sorry to say, my answer is likely primarily speculative.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=flat+top+vs+button+top+18650

bowlofsalad,
A button top is just as it says. Primarily designed for flashlights, etc., or cell holders. And, NO, the tolerance on the cell has nothing to do with the 0.2mm at the top.

I personally think that the 0.2mm is consistent with the thickness of the isolation rings that are available. Put that on the anode end and then the anode top is flush with the top of the isolation pad. I would like some confirmation from people who know and not be guessing.

I communicate with cell suppliers they say that the anode top is absolutely flush with the shrink wrap edge

I wouldn't be surprised if I misunderstand, but I am saying that when they say this they might be referring to a flat top cell, the picture of the cell looks like a button top cell and a cell seems like it can sometimes come in either version.

Just received this from a 18650 supplier (will remain unnamed).

*****************************************************************************************
And you asked about Samsung, not Sony.
I mentioned in my email* it's manufacturer and model specific. *The
Samsung models I have have no dimension specified there and that is also
shown in real life measuring with calipers. Panasonic and Sony do indeed
protrude a little bit.
*****************************************************************************************

So, go figure, and, there is supposed to be a standard?

EDIT:
The question is now is this also the case with the Sanyo that is now Panasonic?
I believe I may go with the Sanyo GA.

Had these on my desk so here are some samples. Sorry I don't have the ones in the op.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457056285.928802.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457056304.149748.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457056684.400309.jpg

Brown are LG HG2's. Purple are Panasonic 29e's, the group of them has paper spacers on already. Red are laptop cells, possibly Sanyo. All are unprotected. You can see they are all very close and the tops roughly line up with the shrink wrap.

Edit: the 0.2mm in the diagram is likely filled by the squishyness for lack of a better term of the integrated isolator and shrink wrap. These are flat tops btw.

Jeez !.... :shock: ...I hope those are not metal callipers ?
Fact. Cell length varies depending on the maker, model, protected or non protected, and spec of the cell ..( all 18650)
Fact ...many cells can be bought with either "flat top". (Flush) , " Button top" , tab, etc etc configuration.
Precise dimensions can be found by searching the flashlight or Vape test sites

Lol yes they are metal! I was very careful. 3.8 volts is also a lot less than I usual have to work with so I wasn't too worried :)

The diagram looks like a button top cell, but 0.2mm is no where near tall enough. I suspect it's a maximum or nominal height of the flat top cap.

Back