Notebooks with real 3400 mah cells inside

marce002

10 W
Hy anyone can confirm any brand and model # with 18650 real 3400mah cells inside (from stock)?? thks in advance ( need to build a 10s4p pack and already have 16)

why mess with laptop packs? you can buy INR18650-MJ1 that is rated at 3500mAh brand new for a few bucks.

I agree how much is your time worth. Used cells aren't worth as it's so easy with new cells compared to sorting used stock and spot welding together.

marce002 said:
Seems to be that no laptop has real 3400mah 18650 inside...strange
Most likely due to the extra cost of 3400mA cells.
Cheaper for them to just use 2 x 2200(or 2600) mAhr cells and get even more capacity.
If you are going to find them anywhere , it would be in the small lightweight 10"/11" screen portables that use single cell strings.
But otherwise, power tool packs have better cells .

If any laptop mnfgr happens to read this post, I would be immediately inclined to buy a new laptop if they sprung for, and advertised a super high mAh li NCA cell! It would be great to have a consumer laptop with high end cells stock, rather than the crap that goes into most of them.

Hillhater said:
marce002 said:
Seems to be that no laptop has real 3400mah 18650 inside...strange
Most likely due to the extra cost of 3400mA cells.
Cheaper for them to just use 2 x 2200(or 2600) mAhr cells and get even more capacity.
If you are going to find them anywhere , it would be in the small lightweight 10"/11" screen portables that use single cell strings.
But otherwise, power tool packs have better cells .

You'd be surprised actually. I buy and sell Li-ion cells for a living and NCR18650B's are now a fair amount less than 2x 2200mAh or 2x 2600mAh cells of any major brand. Not to mention a lighter pack, easier to assemble, less transportation costs etc. Actually the latest quotation I got from a supplier the NCR18650B's are lower in cost per Wh than 2200mAh and almost identical in cost to 2600mAh cells. :shock: And like I said less transportation costs and material assembly costs. So I could make a 3400 pack for less than a 2600mAh pack.

For sure those 3400B's are not expensive these days, but as mikebikerad said, many of the laptops use cheap cells that just outlast the warranty and probably pay less than a dollar each for them in volume,
Bear in mind also, the laptop market is in decline so there is a huge surplus of cheap 18650 production capacity forcing prices down for older spec cells.
Other "quality " brand laptops like Sony, LG, Samsung, etc can also use their own in house cells at cost price or less, leaving only a few like HP , Apple , etc to consider paying for cells that match their market image.

I used to get new (bought in error) 2power laptop packs on ebay for around £5 and seem to remember it had a leading panasonic cell in them that gave over 3000mah

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_nkw=2power+battery&rt=nc&LH_Auction=1

Most laptop batteries are crap and I wouldn't put them in my ebike. After having yet another laptop battery pack die an early death on me, I might put ebike batteries in my laptop :)

Back