Regen c ratings Effect on cell longevity

Jestronix

10 kW
So what effect does regen have on batteries and what is a good c regen rate? The constant micro charge and discharge events. must create some stress. I see about 1c max on my cells for regen , above this I'd say will cause damage?

All depends on cell type. 1C is standard charge rate for rc lipo. But it's probably 0.5C or less for most 18650 cells.

wesnewell said:
All depends on cell type. 1C is standard charge rate for rc lipo. But it's probably 0.5C or less for most 18650 cells.

Yeh that's what I was thinking, seems took batteries cop a bit of a beating , half hour to charge 2000mah means they are pushing 2c and they would love u to buy more when the packs die early. So 1c on the high frag packs seems ok.

My concern is more the constant micro cycles u see in regen.

Different types of cells have different performance and life characteristics.
So unless you are lucky and find some specific research results relavent to your particular cells and situation, you would have to test under the specific conditions you anticipate using...regen rate, duration, frequency, SOC, temp, etc etc etc.
However, i have always wondered as to why Toyota have stuck with the NMhi cells in their Hybrids which see high rates and frequency of regen. ?...i suspect they have more experience and data than most on that topic.

You can set regen at 1-2C with no problem with li-ion. It is only 1 second spike in most cases. I would only be concerned if downhill with it for 5 minutes, but even this would not damage the pack for sure. Fast charge is mainly bad because of generated heat and saturation in lithium pores(more info is searchable on net) but short time peaks of charge current should not be a concern.

Regen I need reprogram my controller it's hitting 50amp spikes on my A123 20ah 24s pack as read by the C.A. ? I know that's only a split second. Plus the voltage has to run thru aluminum blocks between the tabs. It probably 7 or 11 amps. I do have reprogram. It was a lot harder with the muxus 3,000 5t. Now with the muxus 3,000 4t it's alot less regen kick. Yes monster bolt down torque arms. I tink it wakes them up.
There's no way it regens that hard. Just spikes.

A123 , every time I see their graphs and real world feed back, u can see they absolutely trounce competitors in cycle life and abuse.

Back