Spot Welding Copper Strips to 18650 Battery Cells

Batteries, Chargers, and Battery Management Systems.
ossivirt   10 W

10 W
Posts: 65
Joined: May 18 2016 2:08pm

Re: Spot Welding Copper Strips to 18650 Battery Cells

Post by ossivirt » Dec 26 2019 8:26am

st35326 wrote:
Dec 25 2019 11:06pm
Is anybody selling .10 Copper strip to spot weld fuse with Nickle, sold in roll for like the Nickel is? Or must you cut your own?
Lastly, anyone have any experience with Nickel plated copper for serial connections? Does is spot weld just as well as the Nickel Does?
I have not seen anything that is pre cut for battery welding. Copper is even easier to cut than nickel so its not huge problem unless you make lot of packs so it will take some time to cut your copper.

I plated at home some copper with nickel but it did not have pretty much any difference when welding. Nickel plating just turned dark and partly just burned away at weld spots. Its just too thin layer. Best way right now is to put your copper on your serial connections and lay 0.1 or 0.15mm nickel on top and weld through both of them. It takes less current than just copper..

User avatar
st35326   100 W

100 W
Posts: 245
Joined: Jan 26 2016 9:46am
Location: Modesto, CA

Re: Spot Welding Copper Strips to 18650 Battery Cells

Post by st35326 » Dec 27 2019 3:46am

ossivirt wrote:
Dec 26 2019 8:26am
st35326 wrote:
Dec 25 2019 11:06pm
Is anybody selling .10 Copper strip to spot weld fuse with Nickle, sold in roll for like the Nickel is? Or must you cut your own?
Lastly, anyone have any experience with Nickel plated copper for serial connections? Does is spot weld just as well as the Nickel Does?
I have not seen anything that is pre cut for battery welding. Copper is even easier to cut than nickel so its not huge problem unless you make lot of packs so it will take some time to cut your copper.

I plated at home some copper with nickel but it did not have pretty much any difference when welding. Nickel plating just turned dark and partly just burned away at weld spots. Its just too thin layer. Best way right now is to put your copper on your serial connections and lay 0.1 or 0.15mm nickel on top and weld through both of them. It takes less current than just copper..
Ok. Sounds good. I found nickel plated Copper and placed an order (link below). I believe spinning magnets is somehow affiliated with the seller. Perhaps he has some insight on its use. I plan plan on giving it a try with my Kweld.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Nickel-Pl ... %7Ciid%3A1

ossivirt   10 W

10 W
Posts: 65
Joined: May 18 2016 2:08pm

Re: Spot Welding Copper Strips to 18650 Battery Cells

Post by ossivirt » Dec 27 2019 4:08am

st35326 wrote:
Dec 27 2019 3:46am
ossivirt wrote:
Dec 26 2019 8:26am
st35326 wrote:
Dec 25 2019 11:06pm
Is anybody selling .10 Copper strip to spot weld fuse with Nickle, sold in roll for like the Nickel is? Or must you cut your own?
Lastly, anyone have any experience with Nickel plated copper for serial connections? Does is spot weld just as well as the Nickel Does?
I have not seen anything that is pre cut for battery welding. Copper is even easier to cut than nickel so its not huge problem unless you make lot of packs so it will take some time to cut your copper.

I plated at home some copper with nickel but it did not have pretty much any difference when welding. Nickel plating just turned dark and partly just burned away at weld spots. Its just too thin layer. Best way right now is to put your copper on your serial connections and lay 0.1 or 0.15mm nickel on top and weld through both of them. It takes less current than just copper..
Ok. Sounds good. I found nickel plated Copper and placed an order (link below). I believe spinning magnets is somehow affiliated with the seller. Perhaps he has some insight on its use. I plan plan on giving it a try with my Kweld.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Nickel-Pl ... %7Ciid%3A1
Interesting. Its probably not electroplated since from side it is still copper. And its very thic so it must have alot nickel :roll:

My2c   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 2
Joined: Jan 18 2020 3:04pm

Re: Spot Welding Copper Strips to 18650 Battery Cells

Post by My2c » Jan 18 2020 3:56pm

Had this nickel plated copper strip come in just before Christmas.
I have 0.15mm x 8, 6 & 4mm.

I have done some test welds with my Arduino spot welder.
I'm having to use 80ms pulse to get good welds but it is burning and the welding tips get hot real quick.

I'm pretty new to this, any advice on welding this strip to 18650's

Image

First attempt at welding with the strip. Looks a bit of a mess but had been aggressively pulling it to test it out :)
Anything less than 80ms pulse and the welds are hit and miss.
Is the burning around the welds a bad sign??

Image

User avatar
spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 11528
Joined: Dec 21 2007 10:27pm
Location: Ft Riley, NE Kansas

Re: Spot Welding Copper Strips to 18650 Battery Cells

Post by spinningmagnets » Jan 18 2020 4:06pm

I believe spinning magnets is somehow affiliated with the seller
That vendor is Keith at "18650 Heat Shrink & Cell Holders INC"

https://www.facebook.com/18650Shrink/?e ... WOi-K4zMN6

https://18650shrinkandcellholders.com/

We know of each other, but we are not affiliated in any way. I was the sole vendor in the US for kWeld for one year, Keith is the new vendor. I have bought products from Keith, and I am likely to buy from him in the future on occasion.

183sunman   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 3
Joined: Jul 26 2017 12:46pm

Re: Spot Welding Copper Strips to 18650 Battery Cells

Post by 183sunman » Mar 08 2020 9:19am

I started to work with cooper welding and there is my result 0.3 copper and 0.2 nickel.

I really like the idea with hols in cooper and nickel inside

Move test of weld.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9ecqQEglCZ ... 8vdfxqb6b6
Attachments
IMG_20200306_230105_518_compress84.jpg
IMG_20200306_230105_518_compress84.jpg (424.51 KiB) Viewed 345 times

CharlySierraGolf   1 mW

1 mW
Posts: 11
Joined: Sep 07 2017 6:06pm

Re: Spot Welding Copper Strips to 18650 Battery Cells

Post by CharlySierraGolf » Mar 17 2020 3:00pm

183sunman wrote:
Mar 08 2020 9:19am
I started to work with cooper welding and there is my result 0.3 copper and 0.2 nickel.

I really like the idea with hols in cooper and nickel inside

Move test of weld.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9ecqQEglCZ ... 8vdfxqb6b6

Very impressive.

What spotwelder did you used for this?

183sunman   1 µW

1 µW
Posts: 3
Joined: Jul 26 2017 12:46pm

Re: Spot Welding Copper Strips to 18650 Battery Cells

Post by 183sunman » Mar 22 2020 10:07am

There is a tes of using it 48.8mOh whole pack 24S3P A123
Attachments
IMG_20200320_183554_994_compress15.jpg
IMG_20200320_183554_994_compress15.jpg (383.93 KiB) Viewed 124 times

User avatar
garolittle   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 348
Joined: Mar 03 2018 1:06pm
Location: Augusta, GA U.S.A

Re: Spot Welding Copper Strips to 18650 Battery Cells

Post by garolittle » Mar 22 2020 9:48pm

183sunman wrote:
Mar 22 2020 10:07am
There is a tes of using it 48.8mOh whole pack 24S3P A123
Very nice looking pack. Excellent work.
VenomKarts, LLC
VenomKarts.com
Augusta, GA

Post Reply