"Batlab" ..18650 cell condition tester ?

Hillhater

100 TW
Sydney ..(Hilly part !) .. Australia/ Down under !
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1722018962/batlab-a-battery-testing-system-for-lithium-ion-18?ref=project_link
Sounds interesting if it can meet all their claims.

....This is more than a piece of hardware; it is a complete system designed to walk users through the entire process of configuring a custom electric battery pack. The system cycles cells, runs cycle tests to determine capacity, sinusoidal and pulse tests to characterize impedance, and can estimate state-of-health when compared with benchmark values for a particular cell model.The user experience will be a process of setting the batteries in the device, starting the program, selecting a test to run, and swapping the cells out for new ones several hours later. During this process, the user will be provided a template for labeling the cells, and after all the test data has been amassed, the system will calculate the optimal battery pack configuration based on weight and voltage constraints.

I ordered one.

I also noticed they used some of my video footage from many years ago of a flaming RC pack in their video. It's fine with me if anyone anywhere uses any media I created.

Hmmm I might get one but would be nice to have a basic list of specs/features.

-Current measurement accuracy
-Voltage measurement accuracy
-Max current draw for capacity measuring
-Any ability to connect an external load?
-Impedance measurement method (AC or DC, how long the pulse is etc)
-Will the software create graphs?
-Can the graphs be exported into excel?
-Temperature measurement accuracy

I already basically have the ability to do all these things that this "Batlab" can do, but I don't have any all in one tools. So if they can make this thing reasonably accurate I could see it as being a great tool. Based on the look of the design I can't imagine that it can do much of a discharge current, so it won't be a replacement for high load tests done with an electronic load or CBA.

I decided to back it, first project I've backed in a while.... hopefully they do a good job.

Tedious, but I bet it's well worth it if you are turning scavenged cells into a pack.

So, was it really released in the first quarter of 2017 as they said in the video on there webpage ?
I'm looking at the West Mountain Radio CBA-IV Pro and this BatLab...

Wish I could do multiple graphing from the data in an all in one software with data exportable to excel too. Just like Redilast suggested.

I want the ability to test up to 35A for 1P at 4.20V fully charged. I think the CBA doesa it, but that battlab, can it handle such amperage ???

What i'd want to be able to do and plot on graphs with such a software and device :
Synopis_Matador%20concept.jpgDCIR multiple amp-discharge vs SOC comparison.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Matador

I really wonder if I could test cells at 35amps for a full cycle with this thing.
I have no clues about the specs of the BatLab.

By comparison, I know the CBA (Computerized Battery Analyser) from West Mountain Radio can go up to 100W continous, 150W for short periods of times.
CBA seems like it can be weel calibrated (provided you avoid the PP45 connectors and use a bigass custumed machined high current holder like this artisanal one with massive copper contacts to handle it (voltage drop is critical when trying to accurately caracterise cells... Can't buy this Cell holder anywhere though... Only the cheap chinese ones we can buy that can go up to 10A... melting at around 20Amps because the have such high internal resistance and voltage drop)...

This is the kind of stuff i'd like to play with :
View attachment 72.jpg3.jpgvJXtPpa.png4.jpg5.jpg6.jpgView attachment 18.jpg

Unfortunatly, these pics are not mine. They come from a guy on an ecigarette forum.
The chinese sled one available to purchase are good for 5 to 10 amps.... Not good quality compared to this artisanal one. A thing of beauty...

Matador

I made my own clamp out of a wood clamp. I made one that looks similar to this:

DSC_0281.jpg

It works pretty well, especially with remote sense.

I have CBA III, I gave up on it because no remote sense, and the Anderson plug wasn't holding up, I'd get random voltage changes in the middle of the test.

I use a 150W 30A electronic load and am very happy with it.

redilast said:
I made my own clamp out of a wood clamp. I made one that looks similar to this:

DSC_0281.jpg

It works pretty well, especially with remote sense.

I have CBA III, I gave up on it because no remote sense, and the Anderson plug wasn't holding up, I'd get random voltage changes in the middle of the test.

I use a 150W 30A electronic load and am very happy with it.

Nice !
For the CBA, I hear it's better to remove the andersons and solder wires directly to board. Also better to remove the internal fuse and solder fat copper wire jumper in place.
It educes voltage drop considerably :

Quote from "AMDTruckingMan" one this forum about the CBA problems ( https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/26650-battery-bench-test-results-and-new-ratings-table.725452/page-8 )... I can't thank you enough! I started the calibration process and what the ugly picture I saw. You are absolutely right. Connectors and wires have got to go. My internal resistance was 0.13Ω. I saw 0.1V drop on the fuse along. It was so bad, that I could feel how the fuse and it's socket were getting hot. So far, I only bypassed the fuse, but I'm planning to replace connectors and wires, like you said. Mean while I entered my current values into CBA calibration screen and it made a World of difference. I gained about 0.25V on my charts.

Any link on that 150W 30A electronic load ???

Matador said:
Nice !
For the CBA, I hear it's better to remove the andersons and solder wires directly to board. Also better to remove the internal fuse and solder fat copper wire jumper in place.

Quote from "AMDTruckingMan" one this forum about the CBA problems ( https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/26650-battery-bench-test-results-and-new-ratings-table.725452/page-8 )... I can't thank you enough! I started the calibration process and what the ugly picture I saw. You are absolutely right. Connectors and wires have got to go. My internal resistance was 0.13Ω. I saw 0.1V drop on the fuse along. It was so bad, that I could feel how the fuse and it's socket were getting hot. So far, I only bypassed the fuse, but I'm planning to replace connectors and wires, like you said. Mean while I entered my current values into CBA calibration screen and it made a World of difference. I gained about 0.25V on my charts.

Yea I think I read something about the fuse bypass and soldering directly. But that still doesn't eliminate voltage drop. Sense wires virtually do, the only voltage drop you have with that setup is going to be the contact resistance.

The load I use I think is the Maynuo M9711. I bought the load in a group buy sort of deal from the manufacturer.

redilast said:
Matador said:
Nice !

Yea I think I read something about the fuse bypass and soldering directly. But that still doesn't eliminate voltage drop. Sense wires virtually do, the only voltage drop you have with that setup is going to be the contact resistance.

The load I use I think is the Maynuo M9711. I bought the load in a group buy sort of deal from the manufacturer.

Indeed, very serious equipment ! Lucky find!

Anyone able to get an answer out of them?

I thought they sold around $100.

Looks like ebikes.ca is the only game.

Grinspector https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=87661

tomjasz said:

Nice indeed. I wonder when it'll be available ? I could not find it on ebikes.ca last time I checked.

Matador said:
tomjasz said:

Nice indeed. I wonder when it'll be available ? I could not find it on ebikes.ca last time I checked.
There were some beta for sale. I choked. DAMN! I emailed to get a status. Will post the response. If anyone hears about Batlab please post.

Available now, 2 bills
http://www.ebikes.ca/news/battery-grinspector/

They got some crazy ADHD dude interviewing Justin

999zip999 said:
? How much is the batlab ? Couldn't find a price.

Anyone get one? Seems they've disappeared.

Back