charging 14S with 13S charger.

Tordnado

10 mW
I had a misunderstanding with EM3V and they sent me a 52 V charger with switch for different charge http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route= ... uct_id=120. We solved the misunderstanding but now I have 52 V (14S) charger and a 48 V (13S) battery. I realized that the 50% (53,2 Volt) setting should give a pretty good charge to the 48 V battery. This is how I understand it: 53,2/13= 4,09 Volts per cell which is fine but not fully charged (4,2). Do you agree to my thinking that the charger can be useful at the 50% setting or is there something that I am missing?
Also I would like to try and change the setting inside the charger so that I can use the other settings and have a fully functional charger for my 48 V battery. Should be ok? I have found 4 potentiometers, 3 of them for the different voltages and 1 for Amps!?

53.2v is a good setting for a 90% full more or less charge on your 13s pack. It's not at all full, that's 54.6v. But if you want to run an undercharge it routine, that will work fine.

You found the right pots to diddle. I turned my 50% one as high as it goes. ( I have the 14s EM3ev charger) Mine still falls short of 54v, but its close enough to get by with using that charger to full charge my 14s packs, and nearly fill my 13s stuff. Not at the same time of course.

Thanks a lot for that!

Did you try lowering the 90% and 100% to get it to 54,6?

Can I measure voltage directly at the charger leads when it is not connected to a battery or will it be more precise/accurate to let it fully charge the battery and see where it ends up (risky on higher settings!)?

I couldn't diddle any pot on my charger, to get 54.6 exactly. I need a satiator but I spend my cash on other shit every time.

I ended up with 53.8v 55.1v and 58v. With a bms,, It does not scare me to use the middle setting, if I watch it finish. I can watch, and just pull it off a tad early. If I screw up and don't, only .5v overcharged. The bms will get warm bringing it back down. Best not to do that every cycle of course.

dogman dan said:
I need a satiator
You won't be disappointed. I'm amazed at how useful mine is and how well it performs and how easy it is to program. An amazing piece of kit. Worth every nickel.

Or put another way, if you have a 90% charge charger, u have an arguably desireable charger.

Many would like that re battery longevity - they hate sitting fully charged.

Grumble to the supplier re wrong kit & get the 2 amp (.2C) el cheapo correct charger as well - cheap.

Most days, connect 90% charger when get home from work. On a big day, swap in the full charge charger before SSS & breakfast, and have ~100% charge moments before u r ready to leave. No watching the charger & no sitting on full charge for long intervals. Simple and time effective.

Back