MW RSP-2000 Constant current limiting detail

yabert

100 mW
Hi
I've use a RSP-1000 to charge a 48v battery and all was perfect.
Now, I plan to buy a RSP-2000 to charge a 48v 200Ah battery, but a little detail about the overload protection in the spec sheet let me skeptical.
As you can see below, the RSP-2000 seem to shut down after 5 sec.

RSP-2000: Protection type : Constant current limiting, unit will shut down o/p voltage after 5 sec. re-power on to recover
RSP-1000: Protection type : Constant current limiting, recovers automatically after fault condition is removed
RSP-2400: User adjustable continuous constant current limiting or constant current limiting with delay shutdown after 5 seconds, re-power on to recover

Many people have used the RSP-2000 as charger in the past. I'm simply asking me if this ''shut down after 5 sec'' can be a new undesirable feature for the new unit.
Any thought?
Thanks

i'm sorry i don't know anything about the rsp's limiting, but if you can't get around it you could use a few hlg mw led psus in parallel. they're voltage and current adjustable, and also potted for weatherproof outdoor applications like led signs and stuff, or onboard vehicle chargers in our case

i'm using the hlg 600 series, two in parallel for about 24a charging a 14s2p 40ah eig nmc pack.

With the HLG's, you want the 'A' at the end, or even B or C for any amperage adjustability.
Example: I'm looking at the HLG-320H-24A. It appears the two trimpots http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mean-Well-HLG-320H-24A-320W-Single-Output-Switching-LED-Power-Supply-/112211684368?hash=item1a20566c10:g:0cAAAOSwXeJYMxNP are right on the face.
http://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=hlg-320h

One question for you AW, have you taken the amps down the whole way? Looks like the HLG's are only rated to go as low as 50-60% their max amps. I was considering the HLG 24A to run with my HRP's, giving amp adjustment from ~14a down to 5a. Just wondering if the pot goes any lower than 50% and how they handle it. I may be SOL- both portable genny and inverter are rated @ 800w cont.; [strike]800/120v = 6.67a, which is exactly what the hlg 320h 24a is rated @ minimum. That doesn't count the added overhead of the hrp fans either afaict.[/strike] oh wait I'm looking at that wrong. 100v dc charge X 6.67a = 667w output. 90% efficient from AC, plus fans, might just be under 800w ? And technically it would only draw the 800w toward the top of the 100v charge?

More on topic, looking at the HRP and HLG on their site- both are described just like the RSP-1000 for current limiting.
BUT, I'm thinking the key is the 'constant current limiting' which the other RSP models have as well. Any of those supplies will limit to spec, and the remainder of description is only in the event of an overload. Technically, the HRP, HLG, and RSP-1000 would 'hiccup' if faced with an over current condition afaict, VS an auto shutdown of the 2000 model. My guess is that all of the above will work for our charging purposes.

I'm also buying a small ELG-150-24A with current and voltage trim pot for a 24v application. Nice little low cost unit.
I will try the RSP-2000 and let everyone know the result.

On most of the models, you can add a pot to make the current limit adjustable but it takes some reverse engineering the first time. For sure, you want to turn the current down so the supply is not exceeding it's rating and overheats.

If you can find a model that already has a current limit adjustment, that's ideal.

nutspecial said:
With the HLG's, you want the 'A' at the end, or even B or C for any amperage adjustability.
You're probably right; I didnt' look at that, just know that mine can do it (they have the rubber-capped openings for accessing the controls). :oops:

One question for you AW, have you taken the amps down the whole way?
No, I've never adjusted mine at all, as they came preadjusted for the pack voltage/etc I needed, from their previous owner.

But next time I need to charge up, if I have time to mess with it, I can see about testing with the current lowered to minimum and see what it is.

This is a post with some of the details of mine:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=86626&p=1267121&hilit=HLG#p1267121

More on topic, looking at the HRP and HLG on their site- both are described just like the RSP-1000 for current limiting.
BUT, I'm thinking the key is the 'constant current limiting' which the other RSP models have as well. Any of those supplies will limit to spec, and the remainder of description is only in the event of an overload. Technically, the HRP, HLG, and RSP-1000 would 'hiccup' if faced with an over current condition afaict, VS an auto shutdown of the 2000 model. My guess is that all of the above will work for our charging purposes.
[/quote]
I don't know what mine would do if it encountered a short circuit, or voltage on a battery below it's lowest limit; perhaps it would shutdown/hiccup.

But at least with any voltage down to it's minimum limit, it should just limit current to whatever the max limit set by it's pot is. (that's how it is working now).

yabert said:
Hi
I've use a RSP-1000 to charge a 48v battery and all was perfect.
Now, I plan to buy a RSP-2000 to charge a 48v 200Ah battery, but a little detail about the overload protection in the spec sheet let me skeptical.
As you can see below, the RSP-2000 seem to shut down after 5 sec.

RSP-2000: Protection type : Constant current limiting, unit will shut down o/p voltage after 5 sec. re-power on to recover
RSP-1000: Protection type : Constant current limiting, recovers automatically after fault condition is removed
RSP-2400: User adjustable continuous constant current limiting or constant current limiting with delay shutdown after 5 seconds, re-power on to recover

Many people have used the RSP-2000 as charger in the past. I'm simply asking me if this ''shut down after 5 sec'' can be a new undesirable feature for the new unit.
Any thought?
Thanks

I am using these since 4 years now for charging my Zero S 2012 at 76Vdc. two 48V in parallel and one 24V in serie. all in constant current limiting and work perfect at about 2250W output at 240V.. I get constant 90A current at the output.

Doc

yabert said:
I will try the RSP-2000 and let everyone know the result.
I've tried it. 2,25 Kw at 49V... so 46Amps on battery side.
Everything work perfectly.

Back