bluetooth BMS?

Batteries, Chargers, and Battery Management Systems.
ebike11   1 MW

1 MW

Re: bluetooth BMS?

Post by ebike11 » Sep 26 2020 10:41pm

serious_sam wrote:
Sep 26 2020 8:18pm
Not sure sorry.
Its ok thx
I have 1 more issue. How do you guys turn on and off the bms?
I tried an on off switch on the 2 wires on the jst plug on the side of the bms and also a momentary switch but the bms still remains on.. So strange.

serious_sam   10 kW

10 kW

Post by serious_sam » Sep 26 2020 11:01pm

ebike11 wrote:
Sep 26 2020 10:41pm
How do you guys turn on and off the bms?
I leave mine on 24/7. Current draw is negligible. I have the standard Bluetooth type. No display or lights or anything.

Apparently you can connect a switch to one of the temperature sensor inputs and program the BMS to deactivate the mosfets below a set temperature (seen when the switch shorts out the temp probe). But it isn't a full "off" switch. It just shuts off the output. Haven't tried it myself but sounds feasible.

nardcox   10 W

10 W

Post by nardcox » Sep 30 2020 2:34pm

ebike11 wrote:
I have 1 more issue. How do you guys turn on and off the bms?
I tried an on off switch on the 2 wires on the jst plug on the side of the bms and also a momentary switch but the bms still remains on.. So strange.
I use the switch on the side and all lights will go out.

I have another issue:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/G9gF6pL7b1H939Dr6

Discharge Tube is Abnormal.
Didn't find anything... Anyone any suggestions?

Golyo   100 mW

100 mW

Post by Golyo » Sep 30 2020 7:29pm

I have two questions:
1. Does anyone have bad experiences buying from LLT power? https://www.lithiumbatterypcb.com/
2. Would it be a problem to have 4 of these bms's next to each other? How easy it is to switch between them when trying to communicate with one and then the other and so on.
Plan is to have a four 17s batteries to create an extra plugin battery for a Prius.

Magsy   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Magsy » Oct 03 2020 2:11pm

No issues ordering direct and shipping to UK, although very much the usual China quirks.

I have two side by side without issue, the iOS app lets you select by name (and you can rename, although it’s not great for me)

TazGill   1 µW

1 µW

Post by TazGill » Oct 05 2020 11:20am

Hi All,
New here and I am building my first pack for a DIY eBike.
I am wondering if you could help me diagnose an issue I am having on a new ANT BMS which I bought from ebay, the seller is no real help as the manual is very basic.
Before connecting this to my main battery which will be a 14S8P samsung 25R cells, I decided to test the bms bluetooth out. I made up a 7S1P pack and connected the balance wires as per the diagram. I have connected it to the charger (Bench power supply set to 31.5V) and do not seem to be able to see a charge, however I do see pulses of peaks of voltage and current of around 5A followed by 4-5 beeps with a red flashing light. Anyone able to shed some light on this for me? Or does anyone have a manual for the iOS app?
I dont really want to connect this up to my proper battery just yet as it has taken a while and money to build
TIA

Taz

patrickza   1 kW

1 kW

Post by patrickza » Oct 06 2020 2:29am

Mart76 wrote:
Sep 24 2020 1:03pm
I have a ANT 16s 100A BMS. The problem is, the bluetooth goes offline after a while even if there is a constant draw of current. To wake it up, I have to manually use a extra 3V-cell and connect it with the two designated wires. That is most unconvinient.

Anyone knows how to solve this issue. Maybe some changes in the settings?
My bluetooth turns back on automatically when I either connect the charger or take it for a ride.
Greyb.org, Cromotor, Headway 83.2v 20AH, Lyen 18 fet: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =3&t=45514
Kona Kahuna, x5305, Headway 76.8v 10AH, Crystalyte 72v48A: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =3&t=10256
Bladez Scoot, 450W motor putting out 3kW, Headway 38.4v 10AH, Lyen special controller: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 35&t=25872

Merlin   10 MW

10 MW

Post by Merlin » Oct 06 2020 6:10pm

first time i run into weird problems.

an old battery with 10S LLT bms installed quit the discharge fets.

so the APP either the PC software report with ANY errors that discharge is OFF (charge enable)

if i try to enable or disable it via PC it doesnt work.(switching on/off charge port works)
also tried to disable temp sensors but no success.

i know its pretty cheap 10s bms but it worked quite good and replacing it sucks just about the time factor.

any ideas?

Cowardlyduck   100 MW

100 MW

Post by Cowardlyduck » Oct 07 2020 4:18am

I posted this over on the DIY powerwalls FB group also, but thought I might ask here in case anyone's seem similar.
Has anyone seen this kind of thing before?
My BMS seems to be generating AC to it's casing. My BMS is touching onto my cell casings also. It dissipates very quickly and does nothing when shorted, but I can see about 500ma across it also. My battery is approx 57-58V fully charged so the ~100V AC seen is probably just that doubled, but it's strange to see it generating current.
DSC_6302.JPG
DSC_6302.JPG (218.98 KiB) Viewed 756 times
Is it normal for a BMS shell to generate voltage of any kind like this?

Some of the suggestions from FB were that it could be the A/C ground (not shared neutral) on my battery box casing, or to do with the BMS mosfet switching frequency.
I'm thinking it's the BMS as my A/C is 240V anyway. I need to find the time to partially disassemble the pack and move the BMS out of the cell holder it's currently in, but the pack is still running fine at the moment.

Cheers
ebikegarage.com.au - My website
Ebike Garage - My YouTube Ebike ramblings.
Cowardlyducks - Videos - Ride videos
BikeE recumbent commuter - 9C, 6Fet Grinfineon, internal 17AH, 52V, + on-board solar.

Custom made 18650/21700 battery packs - Australia only

Cowardlyduck   100 MW

100 MW

Post by Cowardlyduck » Oct 09 2020 5:20pm

I'll answer my own question...it had nothing to do with the BMS (Thankfully).
Turns out it was the ground as some suggested.
I'm just glad it wasn't the BMS as it would have been a huge PITA to disassemble the battery to fix that.
I still don't understand exactly how a separated ground could be doing this, but maybe it points to another problem where another device (maybe my inverter) is generating voltage on the ground.

Cheers
ebikegarage.com.au - My website
Ebike Garage - My YouTube Ebike ramblings.
Cowardlyducks - Videos - Ride videos
BikeE recumbent commuter - 9C, 6Fet Grinfineon, internal 17AH, 52V, + on-board solar.

Custom made 18650/21700 battery packs - Australia only

nardcox   10 W

10 W

Post by nardcox » Oct 09 2020 6:41pm

nardcox wrote:
Sep 30 2020 2:34pm
I have another issue:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/G9gF6pL7b1H939Dr6

Discharge Tube is Abnormal.
Didn't find anything... Anyone any suggestions?
Anyone? Finally the seller got back to me (holiday in China apparently). They asked me to restart (already tried that ofc), and then they said ship it back... That's like having no support. Is there anyone that might have an idea of what's wrong? Dont want to loose the BMS for over a month or so...

j bjork   10 kW

10 kW

Post by j bjork » Oct 10 2020 6:01am

Does the output turn off when you turn off the bms?
Have you checked the mosfets if it doesn't?

When a mosfet got shorted for me I got error, not abnormal. But I think it sounds similar enough to check, dont you think so?
My posts are just 2 pages back, so you must have seen them when you looked for answers.

nardcox   10 W

10 W

Post by nardcox » Oct 10 2020 8:02am

I assume with output you mean voltage?

Voltage on the + battery and - battery is 80.1V (20S @ 4.0V)
Voltage on the + battery and C- BMS is 77.2V
Voltage on the + battery and C- BMS is 80.1V with BMS on
Voltage on the + battery and C- BMS is 77.9V with BMS in error mode

I didn't find your post since I searched on 'tube' and 'abnormal'. Looking back at your post I do remember reading it but that is way above my knowledge level, I have no clue what you did exactly. I will take out the battery and inspect the BMS if I can see something funny.

I have three options now:
1. Send it back and wait
2. Send it back and wait but in the meantime buy a new one
3. Send it back and wait but connect it without the BMS so that I can at least attempt to continue with setting up the rest of the bike (lights, switches, etc).

EDIT: I've opened the BMS, all looks good as far as my non electrical engineering eye can see.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/QM4QRDUeZ66HfUPC6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ay6nXWr7jvS1Fgwo7

j bjork   10 kW

10 kW

Post by j bjork » Oct 10 2020 9:05am

That you get a high voltage when you measure dosent necessary mean that a mosfet is shorted, it can be small creep voltage that disappear as soon as you put a load on it. An easy test is if the bike still works when the bms is off.

You will probably not be able to see the problem by just looking at it, but it depends on what has happened.

nardcox   10 W

10 W

Post by nardcox » Oct 10 2020 10:55am

The bike doesn't work at all, regardless of the BMS.

What happened is that I switched the positive and negative on the controller. I can't do much more than look? I read that you measured each individual mosfet, but I'm totally clueless about how to go about such a thing.

j bjork   10 kW

10 kW

Post by j bjork » Oct 10 2020 3:12pm

:roll: wtf?!

Is there a problem with the bms at all?
If you killed the controller it is not very strange that you get a fault from the bms, you have to start at the right end..
Do you still get the fault if you disconnect the controller and then turn on the bms?
You complain about bad support, but you dont say that you caused the problem yourself.

nardcox   10 W

10 W

Post by nardcox » Oct 11 2020 3:46am

Hmm..I posted this question on another forum as well with all the extra info, though I did it here as well, apparently I didn't, my apologies.

Yes I still get the error even when nothing else is connected.

I can still connect the controller to the pc and read the rpm when I turn the wheel manually and write parameters to it, so my guess was the controller is fine,the BMS isn't.

j bjork   10 kW

10 kW

Post by j bjork » Oct 11 2020 4:17am

You said your bike dosent work, regardless of the bms. So I guess you have bypassed the bms, and the bike still dosent work?

But anyway, if you still get the fault even when nothing is connected to the output of the bms there probably is something wrong with a mosfet or something. You can try with light bulbs on the output, and see if it is possible to turn off.
If its not, then there is a problem. If you cant fix it yourself, you might as well send it back.

aethyr   10 W

10 W

Post by aethyr » Oct 13 2020 5:41pm

Can anyone explain this? The app and the BMS itself is claiming that the 11th series battery is 0.1V and that the 10th is 4.9v. This is patently false because I checked each series with my multimeter and every battery is roughly 4v. And we also can tell that the 10th and 11th series voltage is wrong because if you actually add every group up it should be about 77v (according to the reported voltages), but the total voltage is shown to be 80v, which means that each series is roughly at 4v.

Finally the app's own "CellLow" is shown to be 3.975V and not 0.110V, and the cell high is shown to be 4.069, not 4.99. The BMS won't charge and then out of the blue, maybe after a few minutes or more, it starts charging and when I look at the cell voltages, the 10th and 11th cells are now fine.

I've wired up as charge only, BTW. So NEG battery wire to B- on the BMS and CHG- to C- on the BMS.
Any ideas?

thundercamel   1 kW

1 kW

Post by thundercamel » Oct 15 2020 11:22am

The balance wire between 10 and 11 has a problem?
My Ebike builds - Existing bikes, affordable motor kits, self built 14s6p batteries - Now with more recumbent!

flippy   10 MW

10 MW

Post by flippy » Oct 16 2020 4:34am

broken connection. check the wire from the battery right up to the connector and check the connector itself.
Lithium beats liquid dinosaurs.

nardcox   10 W

10 W

Post by nardcox » Oct 16 2020 5:10am

j bjork wrote:
Oct 11 2020 4:17am
You said your bike dosent work, regardless of the bms. So I guess you have bypassed the bms, and the bike still dosent work?

But anyway, if you still get the fault even when nothing is connected to the output of the bms there probably is something wrong with a mosfet or something. You can try with light bulbs on the output, and see if it is possible to turn off.
If its not, then there is a problem. If you cant fix it yourself, you might as well send it back.
Sorry for the late reply, had some crazy days at work.

I haven't bypassed the BMS yet. I meant it doesn't matter whether the BMS is on or off, the bike doesn't work.

I still get the error even when nothing is connected. I've made a video and some pictures if anyone care to take a look, I really don't see anything wrong / burned / melted. There are some pictures and a video or the BMS taken apart.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rWyHYPyg7BZbEREW7

It should be fine to hookup the battery minus directly to the controller right? I'll connect everything and turn on the fuse last?

j bjork   10 kW

10 kW

Post by j bjork » Oct 16 2020 10:40am

nardcox wrote:
Oct 16 2020 5:10am

It should be fine to hookup the battery minus directly to the controller right? I'll connect everything and turn on the fuse last?
Yes, you will get a spark somewhere when the battery and controller gets connected. In the fuse or in the contacts. I dont think it will be a problem if it is a dc fuse, if it is ac it might be more sensitive. But my guess is that it will not be a problem anyway.

If no mosfets are shorted, but the bms think there is a problem it wont turn on. So to bypass the bms will be the easiest way to test if the controller works.

Andrewol   100 W

100 W

Post by Andrewol » Oct 23 2020 2:57am

Does anybody know can this bms be used to track the bike in case of theft?

eee291   100 kW

100 kW

Post by eee291 » Oct 23 2020 2:22pm

It's a Bluetooth BMS not a GPS BMS :pancake: