Charger voltage issue

anoNY42

10 W
I have a 52v battery charger that is only putting out 45.7 volts. Is is possible that the charger is out of adjustment somehow, or is it likely that some component is broken and needs to be replaced? What component regulates the voltage?

A second charger putting out 59v charges the battery correctly, so I know the issue is with the charger.

There is typically an adjustment pot on the board somewhere. In a good design, if the pot wiper goes open (dirty or bad contact), the voltage will drop as a safety feature. I'd pop open the case and take a look. Sometimes there are more than one pot, so good idea to know what they do before adjusting. You can possibly blow up the charger if you turn the wrong one too far.

fechter said:
In a good design, if the pot wiper goes open (dirty or bad contact), the voltage will drop as a safety feature.

Ok, I found the voltage pot and turned the screw so that the charger is once again putting out close to 59 volts. However, the screw had a dab of silicone or something on it, to keep it from moving I guess. Does it really make sense that the pot's screw had moved somehow and that was why the voltage was so low? I didn't drop the charger or anything, it just happened randomly from one charge to the next while the charger was sitting on a desk the whole time.

My question now is "can I use this charger so long as I measure it is putting out the required voltage?" I have another charger that is working normally, but I fear that someday it too will have this issue.

Thanks for your help!

Maybe wire something like this little cheapo up to your charger and tape/glue/velcro it on somewheres. It won't be deadly accurate but it should be enough to tell you if something goes dramatically wrong again in the future.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Mini-DC-0-100V-Red-LED-3-Digital-Display-Voltage-Voltmeter-Panel-Motor-/381374425176?hash=item58cbafe858:g:dtcAAOSwo8hTmvxX

If it works and gives you what you want then I'd suggest leaving it alone. I blew a cap in my charger a few weeks back trying to add a resistor and not fully understanding how voltage dividers work. Some learning curves can be more expensive than others.

Good luck.

anoNY42 said:
My question now is "can I use this charger so long as I measure it is putting out the required voltage?" I have another charger that is working normally, but I fear that someday it too will have this issue.

Thanks for your help!

Yes, if the voltage is at the correct level, it should be safe to use. But I would watch it carefully for a few cycles. Sometimes you get some oxidation on the pot wiper inside the pot and just moving the adjustment will scrape it off.

Having a permanently attached voltmeter is a good idea. I use one that also displays amps and amp-hours.

fechter said:
Yes, if the voltage is at the correct level, it should be safe to use. But I would watch it carefully for a few cycles. Sometimes you get some oxidation on the pot wiper inside the pot and just moving the adjustment will scrape it off.

Having a permanently attached voltmeter is a good idea. I use one that also displays amps and amp-hours.

Sounds good. I have an unused volt meter that I can hook up so I should be good...

Thanks again!

Back