Charge as 14S, Run as 13S

ttobiassen

100 mW
So, I have the following strange problem...

I have 7 Leaf battery modules, ie, 14S, that I have wired and working properly with a 14S BMS (discharging at 0.5C continuous, 1.5C peak and charging at 0.1C). This was for project A, now I was hoping to use it for project B. For project B, I want to use 13S. However, I don't own a smart charger that is capable of charging higher than 6S, as I've been using a bulk charger and the 14S BMS to charge and discharge safely.

What would the behavior of the pack be like if I tapped a discharge lead at the 13S location for discharging only but still tried to charge the pack using the 14S BMS?

The last cell (number 14) would always stay roughly charged, so I imagine the resulting behavior of this strategy would be: safe discharge, safe but LONG (days) balance charge. The only thing I can think of to help a bit would be to put a small load across the 14th cell (really bright light bulb?) so that when it comes time to charge the 14th cell will at least spend SOME time getting back up to full voltage, allowing the others to catch up.

Am I looking at this correctly? Just trying to keep this pack together without having to take it apart and rewire a new 13S BMS (also, I'm supposed to have a solution by the end of the week, so...).

if you leave the 14th cell in it will always have to balance the whole capacity that you used and will take a long time to charge / stress out the bms best bet is find a way to run 14s most 48v controlers will run 14s anyway or to find a 13s bms

As I recall, the Leaf "sardine cans" have four foil pouch cells each, in a 2S / 2P configuration. If you open up the flat cans, please post pics of that. Also, I would very much like to see the actual physical connections they used. I have seen many pics of the Leaf pack bought and separated into the 2S / 2P modules, but no pics of the guts.

Are the cans on the modules aluminum to help with heat-shedding? Or steel to make them stronger? (see if a magnet will attach with the same strength all over it)

@ZackClark70 The rest of my system will indeed survive 14S, this is a competitor in the Power Racing Series and they don't like to see nominal voltages above 48V (13S is 48.1) because of some of their safety rules. If the pack wasn't WIRED as 14S while on the race track, then the 14th cell and BMS would count as exempted safety equipment. So, I'm optimistic they'll work with me to find a solution. I DID buy a 13S BMS on ebay a few weeks ago, but it's stuck somewhere and I won't get it in time. Realistically, I KNOW the difference between 48.1V and 51.8 isn't a big deal (and in fact, people run 4 "12V" Lead Gel Cell packs, where the nominal voltage per pack can be 12.8-13.6, or 51.2-54.4V, so really there's not a big difference).

@Spinningmagnets The best view INSIDE a leaf module I've seen is at this timestamped youtube vid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeTxXkBAc60#t=7m3s) I was initially worried that the center tap on a module (Which is normally used for sense wires, not discharge) would not be usable for discharge, but looking at the copper leads inside the module, I'm confident that the 1/2C continuous I'm pulling from it shouldn't be a problem.

you will have to drain the 14th cell at the same rate you charge the other 13 if your using a 14s charger a 13s charger might work if you connect to the 13s that are flat but you wont have hvc for the charger

Back