Increasing Battery Voltage 36 to 48V

k-harvey

100 W
Hi all -----I have a 36v Li ( not sure its L-ion or lifepo4 ) battery . was sold to me as 30AH so has heaps of cells .
The cyclone 960W ex e bike controller because its LVC is so high but goes well on 48 V (tested with acid batteries) & have talked to taiwan man all about it . ( he has also sent another controller .)
The idea I have is convert this 36 v to a 48v buying a BMS for it making a much cheaper option than buying a whole new battery.

Is this possible I think it is & as the 36v 30ah is so heavy would make a better bike out of it . Also how do i tell if the battery is LiFepo4 or li-ion for purchasing a charger.?

Put a 36v controller on it, or get a new 48v battery.

One cell group of lifepo4 charged full will be 3.5v. full limn or lipo will be 4.2v per cell group.

15 or 16 groups of cells will be lifepo4, 13 or 14 groups lipo.

Thank you ,will test its type.
With this cyclone bike that,s controller will not take this battery with it lowering its voltage so much .
Well i just dismantled battery its not what i expected , Has 12 cells ( flat pack type) so each cell must be about 30ah ..
One cell has a bad swelling indicating this cell has been the problem so should i try to replace it and stick to 36v with luck the voltage would stay high enough to keep
controller going . I have already replaced BMS .

Worth a try. Obviously with the bad cell, its not going to work.

I would guess a good battery of any type, 30 ah, should be able to handle 40 amps. If your controller is a lot bigger than that, you might need a stronger type of battery.

12s means its lifepo4.

Yes i think the c rating of cells was not high enough and replacing the cell which i'm finding very hard to find the same size,
Best as perhaps as this batteries weight made bike very heavy ,,, I buy another battery with higher continious current draw but an expesive way to go.
If in an effort to replace the cell can I use a 20ah one ( others i think are 30ah) of near the same size as this seems the only cell In can find.

Yes, you can, but your lowest capacity cell will limit the capacity of the whole pack. You'd think that cell would be the new 20 ah one, but maybe not. Might be worth doing a capacity test of the remaining cells before proceeding to spend money on a new cell. You might find you need more than one new one.

Remaining cells could make a real nice 12v 60ah battery, that could perhaps still be useful.

Back