Can I. Do this

steven7601

10 W
I have 24s pack mayed up of 4 6s 4.5ah battery's that are rated at 45c. My question is can I bulk charge this pack at 100volts at 20amps without hurting the battery's.If not 20amps what is the maximum amps I can charge them safely.

steven7601 said:
I have 24s pack mayed up of 4 6s 4.5ah battery's that are rated at 45c. My question is can I bulk charge this pack at 100volts at 20amps without hurting the battery's.If not 20amps what is the maximum amps I can charge them safely.

Charge C rate should be less than discharge C rate by a factor of 5, IMO. Then, there's the fact that most RC LiPo is overrated. So I would also derate that by 75%. SO in my opinion, I would not charge that pack faster than 3C.

3C on 4.5Ah = 13.5A

20A on 4.5Ah = 4.44C

It's not that you couldn't do it, the battery will likely handle the 4.44C

Test it out and see if the battery gets hot during the charge.

It just kind of depends on how long you want it to last. If you need that fast charge to get into the next heat at the racetrack, go for it.

If you just don't feel like waiting all the time, a 5 amps charger is still going to do er in one hour.

Now if your pack is 20 ah, vs 4.5ah, then a 20 amps charger, and one hour charging would be a nice thing to have.

I find a 10 amps charger on a 15 ah pack is getting me back on the road plenty fast. But it might last longer if I ran a 5 amps charger. I did for years, but it finally died.

Back