problems with cheap DC DC boost supplies for charging?

timmy66

100 mW
http://www.ebay.com/itm/600W-DC-DC-Solar-Power-Adjustable-Step-up-Boost-Voltage-Converter-Module-Board/112402911989

Have gotten one of these to charge a lithium pack, it´s a 600W 10-60V -> 12-80V boost converter.

This seems like an ideal bulk charging solution, but I was watching it with the CV configured at 42V, then CC at ~2A on a 10S LiIon pack, and seeing the current jump all over. Oscillating between 1.8 to 2.2A, and at times jumping toward 3.5A.

That definitely doesn't make me trust leaving it unattended, and was why I did a test. Bench supply for this is a ~24V 15A supply.

Do people trust these low cost things? The idea of getting a $12 6A bulk charger at any voltage, just add a ~$20 bench supply to this is appealing -- but clearly not working.

On the opposite side, I have had good luck with the more expensive BST900 style variant, watching it's charging curve stay solid, both what its reporting and what I'm measuring at the outputs.

Mine has problems too. Current is not constant. Decreases when charging battery. Maybe because im using it to 92.4V (22S) output
~55V Offgrid 14S input.

Back