Which connector for my high powered system?

andreashb

10 mW
Hi!
I have an 3000w motor, with a 72volt battery (max about 80volt)
If my calculations is correct it would draw about 40ampere when max.

What I want is a new battery plug since the one I have is not good and doesnt handle the power. Also I need it to be waterproof.

I have been looking at these weatherpacks:
http://www.whiteproducts.com/sealed480.shtml

But it says low-voltage and low-energy capabilities which in my case is not good. Also it is not possible to order as a private person from the site.

My wire is 10AWG, does anybody have a suggestion for powerconnectors?

Having recently upgraded one of my bikes with an 80A controller and a 60A charger, my power connectors (along with battery harness) had to change. I swapped everything for XT150 connectors and haven't regretted a thing. They're not cheap and they're certainly larger than the previous connectors (Deans), but I'm convinced I made the right choice.

danielrlee said:
Having recently upgraded one of my bikes with an 80A controller and a 60A charger, my power connectors (along with battery harness) had to change. I swapped everything for XT150 connectors and haven't regretted a thing. They're not cheap and they're certainly larger than the previous connectors (Deans), but I'm convinced I made the right choice.

But the XT150 are not waterproof, and also when i connect the battery the plastic melts a little bit everytime because the small shock. I use XT150 at the moment. Also when i use it I do not trust them so I use electrical tape over them. This takes time because i always remove the battery. So an alternative would be good.

There are a number of waterproof high-current connectors, but all of the ones I've ever seen are very large and expensive, like those from Cannon (military/aerospace), or some of the commercial EV-charging plugs.

For something you regularly plug/unplug, it's more practical to use regular non-waterproof plugs but to fill them with dielectric grease, to keep the water out/off the contacts, but still allow good connections. You may have to periodically add more grease to the contacts, but the repetitive connect/disconnect action will keep the mating surfaces clean and corrosion-free anyway.

I use the Anderson SB-series, but they are bulky and have limitations (require free-floating wires inside the housings, or else twisting forces may cause poor connections, by preventing the contacts from self-aligning. Much less a problem with larger size connectors, but commonly a problem with the smaller PP45 type).

The spark / melting problem is easily fixed by creating a precharge circuit. A search on the word precharge will find many threads and posts on how to do this.

andreashb said:
I have been looking at these weatherpacks:
http://www.whiteproducts.com/sealed480.shtml

I've used those with 14 AWG. They are only IP44 rated, from memory, so and and splashing is fine, putting it behind a wheel where spray comes up at high speed might not be a great idea.

You need to be careful with nomenclature. You might think of 72v as high voltage, but under IEC definitions, Low Voltage is anything under 1500VDC, or 1000VAC. Your system isn't even Low Voltage, it's technically Extra Low Voltage.

If your absolute max is 40A, and the connector's continuous rating is 42A, I'd say you're pretty safe. Neither hills nor acceleration go on forever, so you even have a bit of buffer. I'd still try for a short run at full throttle, test for heat, and repeatedly try harder runs to be sure though.

IMO, what you need is solid connection, rather than absolute waterproofing on motor power wires and battery wires. Halls plugs more sensitive to water, since they are truly low volts, and low current.

Do practice some common sense when locating the plugs though, like behind a fender, or other dryer spot on the bike. You can use simple methods to shed most of the water if it rains, without being true waterproof.

Lots of good choices for the connector, such as those recommended above. Also larger amps andersons, larger bullet plugs from the RC hobby world etc.

Back