My parametric cell holder for battery packs

emaayan

100 kW
hi, i've designed this little thing, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2563222 based on 2 others parametric cell holders that were around, but didn't have everything i wanted.

this one other then the regular number of rows and cols parameters , would also allow you to adjust:

cell diameter (as in up to 26550)
cell holder height.
cell spacing (more material between cells means, less delicate but will take up more space)
x strip width
y strip width (some H shaped strips are 7 mm in width in serial and 8 mm in paralall)
base height (so in case for example you wanna lay copper wires, you could make i narrow and tall)

the thing is i'd like to make one piece of 14s5p (or 6p) so far i've been able to pring with ABS+, however according to the spec sheets , it's starts deforming from 73 degrees, while i have no intention of letting cells getting that hot (it should be panasonic pf cells, and 30 amps usage), i'm not sure how it will react in a closed environment.
another possibility is to try and print it using ePC , which according to the specs, is a stronger, and can withstand better heat, but i'm not sure i'll be able to print it myself

i've also managed to print using ASA , but according to the spec it seems the weakest https://www.3dxtech.com/content/ASA_Filament_v2.1.pdf

esun-specs-all_1024x1024.jpg

spinningmagnets said:
Looks good.

thanks!, this was the first time i've use scad and parametric models, i've stayed up till 4 am trying to figure out what on earth i'm doing based on the previous model, someone did , till i fed up and basically almsot re-wrote it.

the downside, is that i still don't know exactly how to make the out shell thicker, or have it using grooves to connect it to other holders.

i'm just finishing up on printing as ASA, before i move to the real bonanza... ePC

I'm going to be building a battery soon, using 20700's. Might end up using the cell holders they came in (from Bosch 18v 6.3ah packs)... not sure what kind of plastic they are, but it's supposed to be some kind of cooling plastic (hence me wanting to reuse it). But, at the same time, that adds it's own problems when it comes to what shape the final battery is gonna be in, etc. I also have a few custom 3d printers I've recently built... and designing a custom holder is definitely my second choice (well, might actually be my first choice... still need to research what's so special about this plastic bosch uses).

I've never worked with using OpenSCAD... BUT, have been getting very good with Fusion360. It is incredible... not to mention free for hobby use (which is even more incredible... it is such an amazing piece of software, not to mention cloud based... I still can't believe it's all completely free if your not using it to make money... in fact I think you can technically make a decent amount of money before you have to pay, but not my point, just a hobby for me). Anyway, I've found making parametric designs in Fusion360 to be extremely easy, I definitely recommend checking it out. And, while it might take a few weeks before I get to it, I'll also be posting my own parametric battery holders very soon. While 18650's are extremely popular, and pretty easy to find printable designs for them, some of these new battery sizes have really caught my attention, and I think there's a lot of potential with them. For example, look at the batteries I'll be using... Sanyo NCR20700A's... not the newest of the bunch, I definitely would have went with a different battery if I was trying to make a high capacity battery, but my goal is to make a 72v battery that can put out 3000 watts, while being as small and light as I can. There may be other options, but this one seems like it's a pretty good one. Each cell is only 3100mAH... nothing special there... but they are also each rated at 30amps continuous. For 3000 watts of power, I only need roughly 41.7 amps, meaning I can have a 20s2p pack that should be able to do it's job. When debating on what voltage to go with on this build, I never thought I'd ever be able to have a 72v pack with only 40 individual cells (and only slightly larger cells than 18650's).

Anyway, didn't mean to ramble off topic so much, my point being... you should check out Fusion 360... and I'll also try to remember to post my parametric design as soon as I make it.

progrock said:
I'm going to be building a battery soon, using 20700's. Might end up using the cell holders they came in (from Bosch 18v 6.3ah packs)... not sure what kind of plastic they are, but it's supposed to be some kind of cooling plastic (hence me wanting to reuse it). But, at the same time, that adds it's own problems when it comes to what shape the final battery is gonna be in, etc. I also have a few custom 3d printers I've recently built... and designing a custom holder is definitely my second choice (well, might actually be my first choice... still need to research what's so special about this plastic bosch uses).

I've never worked with using OpenSCAD... BUT, have been getting very good with Fusion360. It is incredible... not to mention free for hobby use (which is even more incredible... it is such an amazing piece of software, not to mention cloud based... I still can't believe it's all completely free if your not using it to make money... in fact I think you can technically make a decent amount of money before you have to pay, but not my point, just a hobby for me). Anyway, I've found making parametric designs in Fusion360 to be extremely easy, I definitely recommend checking it out. And, while it might take a few weeks before I get to it, I'll also be posting my own parametric battery holders very soon. While 18650's are extremely popular, and pretty easy to find printable designs for them, some of these new battery sizes have really caught my attention, and I think there's a lot of potential with them. For example, look at the batteries I'll be using... Sanyo NCR20700A's... not the newest of the bunch, I definitely would have went with a different battery if I was trying to make a high capacity battery, but my goal is to make a 72v battery that can put out 3000 watts, while being as small and light as I can. There may be other options, but this one seems like it's a pretty good one. Each cell is only 3100mAH... nothing special there... but they are also each rated at 30amps continuous. For 3000 watts of power, I only need roughly 41.7 amps, meaning I can have a 20s2p pack that should be able to do it's job. When debating on what voltage to go with on this build, I never thought I'd ever be able to have a 72v pack with only 40 individual cells (and only slightly larger cells than 18650's).

Anyway, didn't mean to ramble off topic so much, my point being... you should check out Fusion 360... and I'll also try to remember to post my parametric design as soon as I make it.

that's ok, i can ramble even MORE :)

i've heard about the 20700, but they are not something i can get my hands on ,in fact it's VERY hard to order large amount of cells, without being cripped by customs, so i'm just happy i have my Panasonic pf's.

it's embarrassing to say how much time i've invested in building batteries, reading ,asking questions (magents here can you tell how borderline close i am on getting on everyone's nerves on ESFB :( ), considering how "simple" the battery i'm gonna end up building,
when i've heard for example that most folks use hot glue, i've started asking around , to see of there's any particular which is considered "standard" , i could find none, further more, when i've heard about "thermal cycling" and how it can cause the substance to change in high temperature, i've started asking from manufacturers datasheets to see if i can make out the limits, i also heard about some folks (i.e em3ev) use special blend of RTV silicone, to started looking into that, and THEN i heard some of those compounds can emit corrosive fumes to the cells.

that's when i drew line and said "screw it, i'm not a materials engineer, there's no way i can predict how any adhesive will behave on the long run" , and i started turning into holders.
since initially i thought about building a triangle battery i went ahead and got a openbuilds cnc machine to create a single holder, how i didn't have enough time to assemble it, yet my current tevo tarantula is not big enough to create single holder for 14S pack, so i have to revert on using 3x1 cell holders, further more, printing with PC and the likes usually requires you to have an enclosure , and i don't have room for that (yet)

and i didn't touch the subject of BMS , initially i thought besttechpower were considered good, then someone pointed my attention to the fact that they have heatsinks means, they not powerfull enough to vent their own heat, so they recommended BatterySupports.

then this guy [youtube]oqrIJvzV9TM[/youtube] and dishes everything down, and builds his own..

Back