Can I wire 2 chargers in parallel?

CrazyFrank

1 µW
I created this image for reference essentially what I'm looking for clarification on is if I can wire 2 chargers in parallel to effectively double the charging capacity.

20f8256657dcbdd1fabe68b38e5fd7ef.png

Any assistance is appreciated, I am looking to build a 13s battery pack with bms for a 48v 1000w hub motor.

Good question and thanks for posting this. I have the same question at a slightly different voltage.

Subscribed

It depends on the chargers in question. Dumb power supplies with true CC (constant current) limiting can be paralleled at their outputs without any issue.

If you're talking about RC chargers, or any other charger that actively monitors the battery as part of its charge routine, forget it.

Generic meanwell chargers will probably work. But a properly positioned diode, or diodes in the wiring will keep the chargers from shorting themselves out.

Get a couple of diodes that can handle your amps and put them in the wiring between the chargers.

:D

danielrlee said:
It depends on the chargers in question. Dumb power supplies with true CC (constant current) limiting can be paralleled at their outputs without any issue.

If you're talking about RC chargers, or any other charger that actively monitors the battery as part of its charge routine, forget it.

Check my Diagram, its 2 cheap chargers supplying power to a BMS.

Thanks for any assistance.

CrazyFrank said:
danielrlee said:

You won't harm the BMS by paralleling them together, so if they're that cheap, why not just give it a go?

danielrlee said:
CrazyFrank said:
danielrlee said:

You won't harm the BMS by paralleling them together, so if they're that cheap, why not just give it a go?

I'm in planning stage, an therefore I can't 'just give it a go'.

I'm looking for a clear answer.

Regards,

The real answer is 1 good charger. The second answer is 2 inexpensive meanwell chargers. The third and least expensive answer is a couple of diodes that can handle your amps, wired inline. If you already have the chargers, diodes....that is your answer.

:D

Back