Running a BMS at lower # series (ie. 24s BMS with 20s pack)

progrock

100 W
Quick question, as the title says...

Is there any harm in running a BMS at a lower number of series... say if you had a 24s BMS, but used it on a 20s pack?

I'm about to order some BMS boards, and the model I was going to order for some 20s packs has the option to go up to 24s. If I order the 20s version, I can't do any more than 20s, but with the 24s version, I'd have the option to run 24 or lower if I'm not mistaken. I just want to confirm that this would not have any adverse effects. My order has to be multiples of the same size (otherwise I would just get some of each), and the 24s is marginally more expensive... so I'm thinking it would be a good idea to have the option to run more than 20s with one or more of the boards during future builds.

Ordering very soon, so hoping for a quick answer.

Some work like that, some don't, some require modifications or reprogramming. You have to check with the BMS manufacturer to find out (the seller probably has no idea but you can try them first).

There's a number of threads about this type of thing if you look around for threads with BMS in title (most won't be relevant).

OK, thanks... In fact I was just double checking here when I found this out from the sales person at the manufacturer (yes, the seller is the manufacturer in this case... but I'm also aware many sales people are not engineers and CAN make mistakes). I did make sure that they double checked this, that the 24s board will work completely when setup correctly for a 20s battery pack. So instead of buying a few 20s boards (which at least the first, and almost definitely second will be for 20s packs) I ended grabbing the 24s version of the same board (which is the max size). They were only a few dollars more, and I like the idea of having wiggle room. Right now my controller is limited to 20s... but it's the most likely piece of equipment that I would upgrade in the future... so I may not be limited to 20s in the not so distant future, and could even consider rebuilding the packs to be higher than 20s.

Anyway, thanks for the response, always good to hear what I was hoping to from someone else... I think it was worth the marginal increase in price.

Back