DC to DC Boost converter for lipo charging

Sidotian

10 W
Would it be possible to create a 12s lipo charger using a 24 volt power supply and a boost converter? I seen converters on Amazon that claim to be 1500w for only 30$ and I already have two identical 12v 16amp power supplys ( from old Xbox 360s) that I have converted and seem to work fine. I also have standard household wall plug timers I could plug the two power supplies into. (Incase I ever forget to take it off the charger). But i just want an overall cheep way to charge in bulk IV seen the mean well chargers but why buy one of those when I can make one for 30$ and some DIY I use anywhere from 10ah to 32ah 12s battery so I figure charging anywhere close to 5 amps would suit my needs.

>Would it be possible to create a 12s lipo charger using a 24 volt power supply and a boost converter?

Depends on the boost converter. You need one that will current limit on overcurrent, not hiccup. (A lot of boost converters hiccup.)

Several people have posted using these successfully,

just measure your output needs against the max current input at the voltage you boost from. Even 12V @ 15A input may be sufficient for some.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-900W-DC-DC-Boost-Converter-8-60V-to-10-120V-15A-Step-Up-Power-Supply-Module/291861952982

Sure this setup can work, just be aware you may not get as much power from the boost converter as you want. For example many of the high power ones require a fairly high input voltage (40+ volts) to get the full power as they can only pass so much current thru the input stage.

do DC-DC converters output Watts need to equal the input Watts?
I was thinking of doing this too but using the Boost converter to power a 10s BMS.

BShady said:
do DC-DC converters output Watts need to equal the input Watts?
I was thinking of doing this too but using the Boost converter to power a 10s BMS.

The input watts will always be a little higher than the output due to losses. Typical efficiency is around 90%. Most of the cheap converters you see on eBay have exaggerated power ratings and will burn up if used at the stated current. Best to get one that is rated for about 2x what you actually want to run and think about adding heat sinks or fans.

Back