Large LiOn from AliExpress?

Batteries, Chargers, and Battery Management Systems.
Post Reply
georgemiller
10 µW
10 µW
Posts: 5
Joined: Jan 08, 2018 7:24 pm

Large LiOn from AliExpress?

Post by georgemiller » Jan 08, 2018 7:36 pm

Dear Forum,

I am working on a small startup company that uses 40AH-50AH 12V LiON batteries. So far I've been using examples like this one: https://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/pr ... attery.php

It's almost $600, which is a similar price to most of the options I've found from US stores for such a large battery. However, I'm hoping to find a decent quality battery with the same specs for much less.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience purchasing similar batteries from AliExpress? A quick search reveals many alternatives which are much cheaper (such as here or here) but I am not sure how reliable these companies are. In the forum FAQ/Guideline, I read that UnitPackPower and OSNPower are both recommended Chinese sellers, but I could not find the correct product I am looking for from them on AliExpress.

Any recommendations on reliable stores or cheaper battery alternatives are very much appreciated! It doesn't matter if the batteries have a BMS built in or not, I have programmable external BMS's that can replace them.

Gratefully,
George

User avatar
Sunder
10 MW
10 MW
Posts: 2418
Joined: Sep 06, 2011 11:24 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Large LiOn from AliExpress?

Post by Sunder » Jan 08, 2018 8:27 pm

I recommend OSN power. Many others are dodgy, but these guys have high quality products, good service and nearly the cheapest prices.

If you can't find what you need ask them, and see if they do assembly.
eBike: Q100H on 16S with Phaserunner FOC Controller
eMotorscooter: Vectrix VX-1 on 36S
eCar: Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV... Waiting for warranty to expire
eHouse: Still on grid, but with LTO batteries and 3kw LF inverter...

After 5 builds, the best advice I can give, is start with high quality products. I prefer http://www.ebikes.ca

User avatar
amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 24259
Joined: Aug 17, 2009 6:43 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group
Contact:

Re: Large LiOn from AliExpress?

Post by amberwolf » Jan 08, 2018 11:49 pm

And remember that no matter where it comes from, if a deal seems too cheap for what it is, it probably isn't actually what it says it is.

(lots of fake cells, crappy cells, recycled used garbage cells, etc are out there--all of which might work well enough for you but might not last very long, or might not do what you need at all, or could even be a fire risk)

yewsuck
1 mW
1 mW
Posts: 17
Joined: Nov 01, 2014 2:42 am

Re: Large LiOn from AliExpress?

Post by yewsuck » Jan 09, 2018 8:04 am

OSN has good reviews on this forum. All the info that is posted by the people above is good info. There are a few USA suppliers/Importers that you may want to call and see if they can help you. Many of them make custom packs or already sell them. Here is one example:

http://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4-pri ... 4-dgr.aspx

Another battery seller that may or may not pack custom packs:

http://www.electriccarpartscompany.com/

Good luck!


-YS

User avatar
dogman dan
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 34453
Joined: May 17, 2008 12:53 pm
Location: Las Cruces New Mexico USA

Re: Large LiOn from AliExpress?

Post by dogman dan » Jan 09, 2018 8:40 am

I got a great price on my battery. It was too good a price.
P2110059.JPG

User avatar
fechter
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 12023
Joined: Dec 31, 2006 3:23 pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: Large LiOn from AliExpress?

Post by fechter » Jan 09, 2018 9:04 am

Note, the battery in the link is not Li-ion, it is LiFePO4. It most likely has a BMS built in.

That price does seem a bit steep for what it is. A lot of the expense comes from the housing. In that size range, you might consider finding some Nissan Leaf or Chevy Volt batteries. These are good quality and way less expensive.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

georgemiller
10 µW
10 µW
Posts: 5
Joined: Jan 08, 2018 7:24 pm

Re: Large LiOn from AliExpress?

Post by georgemiller » Jan 09, 2018 12:05 pm

Thank you all for your great input and cautions! I have reached out to OSN and they said they would get back to me tomorrow.

@Fetcher- you mentioned the 'housing' of the battery. I notice that almost all American suppliers use housings on their batteries, while almost all Chinese suppliers, including OSN, supply their batteries without housing. Is there any meaningful difference between batteries that are housed, or batteries just wrapped in plastic? Perhaps it changes the safety, or operating temperature of the batteries?

Best,
George

georgemiller
10 µW
10 µW
Posts: 5
Joined: Jan 08, 2018 7:24 pm

Re: Large LiOn from AliExpress?

Post by georgemiller » Jan 09, 2018 12:14 pm

dogman dan wrote:
Jan 09, 2018 8:40 am
I got a great price on my battery. It was too good a price.

P2110059.JPG
I am so sorry- that must have unbelievably sucked.

User avatar
fechter
100 GW
100 GW
Posts: 12023
Joined: Dec 31, 2006 3:23 pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: Large LiOn from AliExpress?

Post by fechter » Jan 09, 2018 1:47 pm

georgemiller wrote:
Jan 09, 2018 12:05 pm
Thank you all for your great input and cautions! I have reached out to OSN and they said they would get back to me tomorrow.

@Fetcher- you mentioned the 'housing' of the battery. I notice that almost all American suppliers use housings on their batteries, while almost all Chinese suppliers, including OSN, supply their batteries without housing. Is there any meaningful difference between batteries that are housed, or batteries just wrapped in plastic? Perhaps it changes the safety, or operating temperature of the batteries?

Best,
George
The heavy duty plastic housing reduces the chances of damaging the cells. The duct tape/heat shrink packs probably use the same cells but are easy to damage if not housed properly.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

User avatar
teklektik
1.21 GW
1.21 GW
Posts: 3568
Joined: Mar 26, 2011 1:15 pm
Location: CT, USA

Re: Large LiOn from AliExpress?

Post by teklektik » Jan 09, 2018 10:55 pm

georgemiller wrote:
Jan 08, 2018 7:36 pm
I am working on a small startup company that uses 40AH-50AH 12V LiON batteries.
...
Any recommendations on reliable stores or cheaper battery alternatives are very much appreciated! It doesn't matter if the batteries have a BMS built in or not, I have programmable external BMS's that can replace them.
I would strongly recommend you contact Paul at EM3EV and see what they can offer you. This is way above the typical AliExpress stuff.

EM3EV batteries have holders, individually fused cells, and fused balance leads to the BMS. They manufacture the cell holders, custom die-cut the bus bars, and assemble the packs in-house. They use very good quality BMSes with extremely low quiescent current draw, but if you don't need the BMS, I'm sure they can supply packs with just the balance leads. I don't believe they have 12V configurations on the shelf, but they can manufacture custom battery configurations so I'm pretty sure you can get the voltage and capacity you need.

Anyhow, Paul is a well-respected ES member from way back...

Visit Grin Technologies at www.ebikes.ca
Build Thread: 2WD Yuba Mundo V4

georgemiller
10 µW
10 µW
Posts: 5
Joined: Jan 08, 2018 7:24 pm

Re: Large LiOn from AliExpress?

Post by georgemiller » Jan 10, 2018 10:27 am

teklektik wrote:
Jan 09, 2018 10:55 pm
georgemiller wrote:
Jan 08, 2018 7:36 pm
I am working on a small startup company that uses 40AH-50AH 12V LiON batteries.
...
Any recommendations on reliable stores or cheaper battery alternatives are very much appreciated! It doesn't matter if the batteries have a BMS built in or not, I have programmable external BMS's that can replace them.
I would strongly recommend you contact Paul at EM3EV and see what they can offer you. This is way above the typical AliExpress stuff.

EM3EV batteries have holders, individually fused cells, and fused balance leads to the BMS. They manufacture the cell holders, custom die-cut the bus bars, and assemble the packs in-house. They use very good quality BMSes with extremely low quiescent current draw, but if you don't need the BMS, I'm sure they can supply packs with just the balance leads. I don't believe they have 12V configurations on the shelf, but they can manufacture custom battery configurations so I'm pretty sure you can get the voltage and capacity you need.

Anyhow, Paul is a well-respected ES member from way back...

Thanks, @teklektik. Just messaged them. We'll see how they respond.

georgemiller
10 µW
10 µW
Posts: 5
Joined: Jan 08, 2018 7:24 pm

Re: Large LiOn from AliExpress?

Post by georgemiller » Jan 10, 2018 10:51 am

Quick update if there are any watchers of this post, or if anyone in the future is looking for answers to a similar question. I have received two quotes, one from the US 'SmartBattery' and one from China 'OSN Power'.

Smart Battery Product: https://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/pr ... attery.php
OSN Power Product: https://osn.en.alibaba.com/product/6018 ... cells.html

Both are for 12V 40Ah LiFePO4. Both are quoting around the same $400 figure when ordering 10 units or more. I'm still waiting on a few other quotes, but I am tentatively happy with either for my application as they both appear to be reputable firms, and I reckon $400 is about how much I should expect to pay for these.

Thanks for all the help so far. This is a great forum!
George

Post Reply