Lithium camera battery question

Vanarian

10 kW
Hi guys,

I salvaged a lithium 7.2v 2-cell SN750 battery from a camcorder and planned to use it for a cheap LCD light accessory. That's a 3700mAh battery and probably low amperage.

Problem is : when I check voltage, it looks like it was emptied down to almost 0V.

Am I right to think this is a future fire hazard if I try to charge it (even with a low amp 375mA charger)?

Or I should give it a try before wasting it to the recycling bin?

Or I can give it a try?

Cheers

Generally Lithiums of various flavors (except titanate) aren't tolerant of overdischarge, and depending on how it happened it could have damaged the cells in various ways.

I wouldn't trust any cells that have gone down anywhere near that far--you can't know how it was drained, how fast, etc., or what will happen because of that.

Note that unless you've acutally opened it up and measured the cells themselves, it could have a BMS on it that is presenting 0v output when there's actually a safe voltage on teh cells inside, just below LVC. Putting it on the camera charger would then tell you if it's still ok enough to charge up; it should refuse to charge it if it isn't. (if it's designed right)

Thank you for the accurate infos, I'll hook it up o a charger to check ; eventually will open the case to check it before disposal. Hopefully it could still be ok!

Back