100amp bms battery pack

mark5

100 kW
[The Topic OP deleted his content & left E-S. His question was:]
Topic OP said:
I am researching a build with a cyclone7500 or a big block. Where would you send me to look for a good 100amp bms battery pack for one of these?

Google?

Seriously, with no information, not many people can make good referrals. Bestech Power has been used by a few people on this forum:

http://bestechpower.com/

Ebay will have some generics you can pair with a relay to get to 100A

You might want a custom system from individual cell balancers + a controller.

Too hard to make any good recommendation based on the (lack of) information you've given.

Topic OP said:
Ok thanks for that, and yeah great, I’m too retarted for google as it doesn’t answer this question for me, I don’t spend too much time on the computer like some of us lemmings - basically was told I need a 100amp bms battery pack, so that’s what I’m trying to figure out, hence the reason for saying I’m researching in the original post. There really is no need for any more information unless you’re the police, all I asked for was pointers to where such battery packs can be found, I’ll figure out the rest. Thanks for the tip. Just the tip.

Chill out dude. Are you wearing a tin hat? I'm not about to set the police onto you for building a 7500w bike.

Your intended use makes a big difference, and especially now you've clarified you want the whole battery and not just the BMS, it's even more important to ask questions.

I could just recommend you this https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/870-72v15ah-40152-lifepo4-battery-24-cells-ebike-battery-pack-battery.html

And I'm sure for the first ride, you'd be very happy. But:

1. They build it on older LiFePo4. That's fine if 99% of the riding you do is nice and gentle, with the occasional hard hill. But if you're full throttle from every light, within a few weeks, that thing is going to be sagging like an old woman's... Never mind.

2. No idea what voltage you're wanting to run your Cyclone on. Are you after top speed, or acceleration?

3. How far do you want to ride, and what style? That battery will go 12 minutes on full throttle. Probably about 80-100km per charge, depending on how you ride. Is that far enough?

There's about another 3 or 4 questions that would help people here give you good advice, but if you're not willing to answer it, just buy the above battery. (But also search for BMSbattery's reputation before you do...)

Alright, my sarcasm/humour fell flat. Not funny. But your call whether you want good advice, or just a link.

Topic OP said:
Ok ok Sunder. Thanks. No tin hats here. I hear what you’re saying. That battery looks like it blows my puffer fish. I was actually venturing a little last night and came across em3evs 72v with the 35e batteries, that looks like it would pee all over the bms battery place, even though I don’t know if it would be good enough for the cyclone7500. To set things more straight, I do not want a low end anything, and the reason that I have this bike and system on it is because I scored the package at $1000.

To clarify more of why this question is here, it is because on Luna’s website where I wanted to buy my cyclone initially there is no clear statement as to what it would take to run a cyclone 7500 other than that it needs a 100a bms battery. Do you see? It’s not me, I’m not the one making the question, it was already out there, im just reposting, trying to figure out what’s necessary. Does that make sense or do I need to go like waay deep into how I wished people who are selling products would be there to back those products up?

This build is for distance, or rather length of riding as I like to take a day here and there and go places with my kids. No idea what voltage I need but I like the sounds of higher voltage.

Alright, having found the exact kit, here's my recommendations:

1. The kit takes 48-72v. The kit is geared, so there is no issue with too high a top speed as long as you know how to gear properly. So my recommendation is to use 72v, but be real careful using the 54T front with any small gear at the rear.

If you use a very high voltage on a very high gear, then bog it down up a very steep hill or with high weights, you can burn the motor out.

2. Its 100a continuous, 120a burst rated, but to cruise takes nowhere near that. If money is no object, and you're happy to just buy the best, you have two options. High rate 18650s, or hobby LiPo to build yourself.

If you're not familiar with the terms, batteries have a C rating. Thats the number of times its capacity it can deliver. So 1C means a 20Ah pack can deliver 20A. 5C means a 20Ah pack can deliver 20 x 5 = 100.

The other term you want to know is 20S5P. That means that the batter is made up of 100 cells - 20 in series to raise the voltage, and 5 in parallel to raise capacity and current capability.

Most small manufacturers pur down the "once off" rate, not the "long life" rate. So that BMS Battery piece of ... I posted probably could do 100a... maybe 3 or 4 times.

If you choose 18650, there are two types. One made for laptops and flashlights. (Very low drain, but cheap) and those made for vaping and electric cars. Many sellers advertise "genuine sony! Genuine LG!" Etc. And there's a chance they are... but they're Sony laptop cells, etc. Make sure you get confirmation they are high rate types. Many vendors lie, so run the item past a few of the experts here.

If they are good cells 20S5P would be minimum. Anything bigger than 5P would be better. Because most cells are around 3400mah, You're looking at 20Ah in one battery minimum or 2 x 14Ah would be better.

So something like this:

https://lunacycle.com/72v-triangle-panasonic-ga-17-5ah-with-luna-charger-ebike-battery/

Would be really borderline. It'd work, but you wouldn't get the most from your kit and the battery will have a shortened life. 2 of them would be perfect.

I prefer building my own packs from Hobby LiPo, because then you know what you're getting. Again, sellers over rate their packs, but divide by 4 to get the safe rating.

Multistars are rated 10C, but most people here say 3-4C is safe. I agree with 3. 4 gets a bit hot for my liking, so' you'd need around 33Ah to be safe.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries/multistar-batteries.html?___store=en_us

Same deal with the S and P rating. The cheapest way would be to get 2 x 6S + 1 x 4S to make 20S. If you use the 16Ah packs, you'd need two full sets (20s2P) for best results. You will need to solder it yourself.

I am on a phone atm, so won't go into too much detail, but let me know which one takes your fancy and we can chat more.

Topic OP said:
Sunder thanks for the time. I do understand the benefit of a good battery, up to this point I have only considered building my next build by using an 18650 pack made up of 3500mah cells. I also understand the benefit of proper, balanced charging in order to keep a battery pack alive for longer, and if I go 18650s like I think I will, I will also be purchasing a Cycle Satiator charger to keep the cells proper. I also understand the benefits of a proper controller, sine waves, and somewhat understand mosfets.

I understand what you’re saying about the HobbyKing lipos, what exactly are you soldering with those? I am somewhat leery of HobbyKing because feedback about their product is hit and miss. I am good at soldering, but I do not have a spot welder, so if that’s what it takes I don’t know man...were you taking any extra safety precautions running the hk packs you made?

As of today my motor options are:
1. 7500w cyclone
2. Crystalyte Crown
3. qS 205 50h v3

The budget for this battery/ motor/ controller is $2500.

I am going to change out the front fork to a 150mm so that it will have a fat tire in there for front suspension.

Definitely soldering, not spot welding. Generally 18650s are spot welded, so if you don't have a spot welder, you probably need one if 18650s are your preference (or buy pre-built).

Hobbyking Prismatic cells look like this:

images

Once they are assembled into batteries, you fold the tabs onto each other and solder them like so:

1107121255.jpg

Why I solder is that rather than have a 6S+6S+4S which can be difficult to manage and balance I remove all the main leads and balancing leads, and make a genuine 20S battery, with the right loom to fit my BMS. Fewer joins = fewer things to break.

Be aware there are big differences in Mid-drive chain motors like the Cyclone, and hub motors like the Crystalyte Crown in terms of versatility and reliability. Hub motors are more reliable, and as long as the terrain you're riding is fairly consistent and you design for that terrain. Then they're easy maintenance, high performance. Mid-drives are the go anywhere, adaptable for anything motor, but will require care both in terms of use and maintenance.

7.5kw through a shifting chain scares me to be honest. There's a reason why true motorcycles shift through an internal gearbox, and a fixed chain.

Topic OP said:
Thanks for the reply, at this point my two directional options in order of possibility as far as batteries are concerned are:

1.) Purchase prebuilt 18650 pack(s)
2.) Build Hobby King Prismatic pack, although just from your picture and description, I must say, I don't get it. I know for a fact that I dont want to mess with 6s+6s+4s.

I want a MINIMUM 2100 watt hour pack, I think thats about what the 20s10p pack at em3ev runs. Basically, at the moment, that is my only real choice for a battery.

From what you said, as well as dogman dan via pm has said, the cyclone7500 is getting dropped off my list leaving two possibilities as far as motors go for the Big Dummy, in order of most likeliness:

1.) TC 3080 Crystalyte Crown
2.) QS 205 v3

Most likely the motor will be mounted in a 24" rim, although I am researching if I can get away with a 20" rim without pedal slap. I am currently running 700c front, 24" rear. Soon to be 4"+ fat up front for suspension purposes.

This has now become a thread which is not asking where and wtf a 100a bms battery is to run a 7500cyclone.
For clarity reasons, to explain how this thread started, I have obviously been overexposed to the middrive motors vs hubmotors, and from personal experience that proves true as well. From my experience reliability and versatility equals BBSxx, but I have an open mind and am willing to try something new.

7500w does sound shaky to run through a chain drive, even on my BBSxx fat bike I was running a KMC Kool Knight half link which made a huge difference by the way. I have another ebuild Im going to do after this Big Dummy, on a Surly Long Haul Trucker where I spliced the rear triangle and installed a gates belt drive and nuvinci 360 internal gear hub. The Dummy will eventually be getting a belt drive as well, but first I will have to have the motor, so that I can do some measurements.

id use the qs 205 v3. good quality and probably has more torque because of extra copper fill.

id forget about mtb rims on the rear atleast. i run 18"*1.4"moto rim with hydenau k40 on my cargo bike. similar diameter to 24" mtb, i think 23" i have a 24mtb on front with a maxxis hookworm dh tyre.
keeps the cargo weight down low and can take the abuse of hitting a pothole with 100kg payload at speed :wink:
id even consider a 17" rear , it will be dead easy to pick up tyres for as its the same as a postie bike .

id say forget the cyclone, it will sound like a whipper snipper, and wont really acheive anything.
my cargo bike pack is 22s12p samsung 30q, gets some serious range and can get the bike moving @ ~95kph much faster than is was originally deigned for, so only on a clear straight stretch 8)

quantumcloud509 said:
2.) Build Hobby King Prismatic pack, although just from your picture and description, I must say, I don't get it. I know for a fact that I dont want to mess with 6s+6s+4s.

Okay, will keep it simpler, assuming that you want a 12S pack instead of a 20S pack.

Since 12S packs are rare and expensive, we want to build it out of a 6S + 6S.

Option one is that you get a series connector like this:

25661_1.jpg

It basically takes the negative of one battery, and connects it to the positive of the next, then takes the most positive and most negative of the whole setup, and you get a voltage equal to the sum of the two batteries. In this case, let's call it 25.2v + 25.2v = 50.4v battery

However, when it comes time to charging, the battery has 2 x JST-6S ports, so you will have effectively two batteries that aren't talking to each other or the charger. Let's say the charger forces 50.4v down the joint plug. You would hope both batteries were 25.2 But due to variations in manufacturing and environment, it's possible that the voltages start drifting. It could be one is 25.1, and the other 25.3. Not a big problem. But what happens if over time, one is 24.0 and the other 26.4? One will be under capacity, and the other being damaged from over charge. Let it go long enough and you have a nice puffy battery at best, and a fireball at worst.

Within each 6S, the balancer will make sure the cells is balanced, but between batteries, the voltages can vary.

You can get around this by charging each battery as 6S instead of the two batteries as 12S, but that's just annoying.

All that to explain why I prefer 20S instead of 6S+6S+4S... Here we go.

Now, instead of using that serial Y connector, I directly join the most positive cell of the first battery to the most negative cell of the second battery. A few less joins to worry about, and less resistance.

I also remove the 2 x JST-6S, and replace it with 1 x JST-12S and by a BMS that can monitor all 12 Cells. This way, if there's any unbalance, the BMS can know about it, and balance the whole thing properly.

Result? Pretty much a set and forget system (as long as you can trust your equipment), no looms or harnesses, no need to take anything apart to charge, etc.

It's really not as difficult as I make it sound. I don't know how to explain it better without actually doing it and showing you a video, and I don't have any plans to make new batteries in the near future. Sorry.

quantumcloud509 said:
7500w does sound shaky to run through a chain drive, even on my BBSxx fat bike I was running a KMC Kool Knight half link which made a huge difference by the way. I have another ebuild Im going to do after this Big Dummy, on a Surly Long Haul Trucker where I spliced the rear triangle and installed a gates belt drive and nuvinci 360 internal gear hub. The Dummy will eventually be getting a belt drive as well, but first I will have to have the motor, so that I can do some measurements.

I'm not against mid-drives, and in fact I'm intending to build one eventually. But I want to do mine with a belt drive and an internally geared hub. Reduce some of the maintenance required and increase safety. Unfortunately belt drives need specific frames, so I need to pick my donor bike carefully.

Topic OP said:
Alright, after reading dogman dans house burning story, I think Im going to stick to purchasing a battery pack from somewehre I can trust. A well rated 18650 battery pack built with 3500mah cells and I will get a Satiator to babysit that sucker. I did find out that em3ev is a company in china which kind of bums me out because that almost always equals shipping issues for me.

Sunder, well, Im not giving up on the idea of building my own pack for the sake of doing it. I will keep an eye out for more tutorials on how to do that. Would you say the packs you are showing how to build are basically like the Li-Go packs Justin sells? Once again, I followed about 80% of what you were saying, but specific terms will still need to be researched in the future, as well as a serious BMS option.

Ridethelightning, I like your idea of running a moto rim and tire for the rear A LOT, but I am not seeing that option offered from anyone who is selling the QS205, or the Crystalyte Crown. Lets say I did find where I can even buy such rims and tire, Im not sure who could lace them up around a hub motor for me locally. Would that be a bike shop or a motorcycle shop? Where did you get your 22s12p for your cargo bike?

One thing that hasnt been touched upon yet. Infenion, phaserunner, or? for a controller for a system like this, or is there not enough info yet because I need to figure out for sure what motor and battery Ill be using?

110% Reliable
Justin over at www.ebikes.ca has batteries, Vancouver Canada.
EM3EV, China

Unit Pack Power is good to deal with. https://unitpackpower.aliexpress.com/store/group/Triangle-battery/1178407_510603083.html?origin=n&SortType=price_asc&g=y&SearchText=30A

OSN Power is in the same boat as Unit Pack Power - http://www.osnpower.com/pddetaildate/profirstlist/20180317_3210497_1.html

Another option is going to Home Depot and buying batteries there and figuring out how to connect them, but your going 72V so might not be an option then. Plus you want 1500-2000Wh.

Yet another option with a learning curve - Going to NKON at ru.nkon.nl buying suitable 18650 batteries, getting them to tab weld them for you for an extra 0.40 euro's then you go to Harbor Freight, buy yourself a soldering iron and 60/40 solder, alcohol from drug store, horse hair brush from Radio Shack, and some home wiring from Home Depot, a 2 conductor 10awg that has a 3rd 12awg grounding wire. Use 12awg for parallel, 10awg for series. Oopps forgot about wire strippers, Harbor Freight/Radio Shack. One factor to consider, Battery Management System. Easy Bestech Power! Then what charger to buy, do not skimp on this, dont buy a wimpy rc charger thats 80W or something lame, if anything buy $150+ iCharger, some, like me go Meanwell PSU for bulk.

LiPo's - Well you were warned.

I have no clue about Luna's battery packs, he is in California.

BMS Battery - been mentioned

Thats all thats on my mind.

markz said:
110% Reliable
Justin over at www.ebikes.ca has batteries, Vancouver Canada.
EM3EV, China

OSN Power is in the same boat as Unit Pack Power - http://www.osnpower.com/pddetaildate/profirstlist/20180317_3210497_1.html

I'll back both EM3EV and OSN. Bought from them both, and their kit and service is really high quality (In fact, when I had a look at my Phaserunner and CycleAnalyst, I decided to mention them in my signature!). That's important to me now, because I used to think that if it broke, I could just get another one and I'd still be ahead price wise... But found out it's not always that simple. But that's another whole story.

Never tried Unit Pack Power or Luna. In fact never heard of Unit Pack Power. Luna seems to get about 90% good reviews on the forum, but the 10% who don't, seem to really feel screwed over. Make of it what you will. Every retailer has to deal with unreasonable customers, but sometimes good retailers can also dig their heels in even when it's their fault. Really can't tell.

quantumcloud509 said:
Ridethelightning, I like your idea of running a moto rim and tire for the rear A LOT, but I am not seeing that option offered from anyone who is selling the QS205, or the Crystalyte Crown. Lets say I did find where I can even buy such rims and tire, Im not sure who could lace them up around a hub motor for me locally. Would that be a bike shop or a motorcycle shop? Where did you get your 22s12p for your cargo bike?

I'm running a pair of 19" x 1.4 moto rims on my Qulbix Q76R. I got the rims in 36 hole I believe the bike you want to look it up under as cross reference is a Yamaha TTR. Then for the rear I had Buchanans Spokes in CA make up custom spokes to lace to rim. Very heavy duty.

For the front I'm running a Hope Pro4 hub with custom bicycle spokes laced to same rim.

For tires I have Shinko trials bike tires. Cheap, big contact patch and will last forever.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=90236&p=1320053#p1320053

I have a build thread but haven't updated it in awhile. Just getting back into it.

Sunder said:
quantumcloud509 said:

Okay, will keep it simpler, assuming that you want a 12S pack instead of a 20S pack.

Since 12S packs are rare and expensive, we want to build it out of a 6S + 6S.

Option one is that you get a series connector like this:

25661_1.jpg

It basically takes the negative of one battery, and connects it to the positive of the next, then takes the most positive and most negative of the whole setup, and you get a voltage equal to the sum of the two batteries. In this case, let's call it 25.2v + 25.2v = 50.4v battery

However, when it comes time to charging, the battery has 2 x JST-6S ports, so you will have effectively two batteries that aren't talking to each other or the charger. Let's say the charger forces 50.4v down the joint plug. You would hope both batteries were 25.2 But due to variations in manufacturing and environment, it's possible that the voltages start drifting. It could be one is 25.1, and the other 25.3. Not a big problem. But what happens if over time, one is 24.0 and the other 26.4? One will be under capacity, and the other being damaged from over charge. Let it go long enough and you have a nice puffy battery at best, and a fireball at worst.

Within each 6S, the balancer will make sure the cells is balanced, but between batteries, the voltages can vary.

You can get around this by charging each battery as 6S instead of the two batteries as 12S, but that's just annoying.

All that to explain why I prefer 20S instead of 6S+6S+4S... Here we go.

Now, instead of using that serial Y connector, I directly join the most positive cell of the first battery to the most negative cell of the second battery. A few less joins to worry about, and less resistance.

I also remove the 2 x JST-6S, and replace it with 1 x JST-12S and by a BMS that can monitor all 12 Cells. This way, if there's any unbalance, the BMS can know about it, and balance the whole thing properly.

Result? Pretty much a set and forget system (as long as you can trust your equipment), no looms or harnesses, no need to take anything apart to charge, etc.

It's really not as difficult as I make it sound. I don't know how to explain it better without actually doing it and showing you a video, and I don't have any plans to make new batteries in the near future. Sorry.

quantumcloud509 said:

I'm not against mid-drives, and in fact I'm intending to build one eventually. But I want to do mine with a belt drive and an internally geared hub. Reduce some of the maintenance required and increase safety. Unfortunately belt drives need specific frames, so I need to pick my donor bike carefully.

Topic OP said:
If I went (2x) 48v24ah 13s7p PanasonicGA battery packs in series while riding, that should give me basically a 96v24ah power source (26s7p, right?). From what I understand, I will be charging each pack separately after every run in order to keep them balanced properly using a 72v satiator to 90%. People do this sort of stuff with HobbyKing crapbatts, and people run the 48v packs in parallel, but I wasn’t able to find any info on if it’s safe to run them in series. The goal here is to keep high quality components taken care of properly.

This will be powering a QS205 V3 50H 3.5T in a 17” Moto Rim sitting in a custom triangulated and reinforced Big Dummy cargobike frame and controlled by a more than able PowerVelocity controller and new CA.

What do you think? I’ve been doing my homework man, this is the best I can come up with with my budget and expertise so far.

Back