Long term use of Anderson and xt60 connectors

Hello

I live in in the upper NE area in the US and during the winter months, I want to have the flexibility to quickly disconnect the battery and chargers to bring them indoors.

My triangle battery comes with Anderson connectors for charging and XT60 for the BBSHD. Both these are hard to disconnect and may show signs of wear within a few uses.

Any recommendations on getting around these connectors - may be a magnetic thing or a quick release plug I can put on them so wear is minimized ?
Thanks.

It's understandable that you have to connect and dis-connect the battery charging cable, but...I would have guessed that the power cable from the battery to the controller could be left connected all the time.

Yup. Apartment is too small to bring in the full bike inside every day so have to rely on unhooking the battery. :(

There wouldn't be an issue with the disconnection and re connection, but a pre-charge circuit would definitely help extend the life of the mating surfaces.

Keep in mind that Anderson powerpole contacts are designed to be worn at the tips from the connection spark, and it doesn't affect their contact mating surfaces. (at least, not until the tips are entirely gone).

Regarding precharge, you can make one easily with a third contact on the battery plug. A resistor is wired between the battery positive and that third contact. First you plug in this contact and the battery negative to the controller, then unplug this contact and plug in the main battery positive.

If you don't want to have to disconnect this contact, then you just add a second positive contact to your ocntroller, that the precharge contact plugs into and stays in, then you plug in the main battery positive to it's corresponding plgu on the controller.

There's a lot of threads/posts discussing various ways including the above to create precharge setups, and how to figure out what resistor you could use.

Swap one set of discharge connectors to XT90S and you'll be sorted. These connectors feature a precharge resistor that will prevent the spark upon connection.

Back