Earthdas Graphene Battery Charges in Five Minutes

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Huh. ESB "Search found 0 matches: Earthdas"? Huh...

Graphene Battery for Electric Bikes That Charges in Five Minutes
("ICN2-CSIC spinoff Earthdas will launch the latest prototype of their rechargeable battery for electric bicycles and motorcycles by the end of the year. Based on technologies co-developed at the ICN2, the innovative graphene-lithium batteries recharge in just 5 minutes, with no special chargers needed."):
http://www.scienceandtechnologyrese...-electric-bikes-that-charges-in-five-minutes/

Starts:
Earthdas is a Catalan startup created in 2016 based on ICN2 and CSIC patented technologies. With its headquarters and seven employees at Barcelona Tech City, the company is set to launch its first product, a graphene-based battery for electric bicycles and motorcycles that can recharge in just 5 minutes. In the second half of 2018 Earthdas will produce a run of 3000 units, marketing them directly to electric bicycle and motorcycle manufacturers.

Parla català? (Speak Catalan?... hehe... just kidding...)
http://earthdas.com/

The research team has evolved from a laboratory cells towards a commercially standardized package. First prototypes have been build in a commercial format. .

Small scale graphene based cells reusing existing battery cases

Using paste-like electrolites based on graphene our batteries have a less demanding manufacturing environment. Achieving a 60% of the Lithium capacity and 12 times faster charging time we offer a future for electric vehicles .

8)

bitmap@2x2-uai-720x139.png

chvidgov.bc.ca said:
Does 5 minute charging mean I need to pull 40 amps out of the wall plug at [strike]MacDonalds?[/strike] McDonalds

Yes...Yes it does. I hope you brought your 8 gauge extension cord with you...

Not familiar with that battery composition. Did they say anything about the lifespan of a battery that charges that fast? How well does it hold a charge, and how many charge cycles can it last?

Also does anybody have a time machine I can borrow so I can pop out to 2019 and get one real fast? I promise no continuum disruptions.

"In the second half of 2018 Earthdas will produce a run of 3000 units, marketing them directly to electric bicycle and motorcycle manufacturers."... Any "manufacturers" here? ("Oh yes, we're starting up a new manufacturing business"...) :wink:

^^ Hehe... "BS-like"...

http://icn2.cat/en/about-icn2/welcome

The Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (ICN2) is a private foundation with the objective of becoming a world-renowned centre for nanoscience and nanotechnology research. Its patrons are the Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC), the Government of Catalonia (Generalitat de Catalunya) and the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB). It is part of CERCA, the network of Research Centres launched by the Catalan Government as a cornerstone of its long-term strategy to foster development of a knowledge-based economy.

... and:
Earthdas is a Catalan startup created in 2016 based on ICN2 and CSIC patented technologies.

Must look up those patents... :)

Hehe... Graphene (and Catalan startup Earthdas) in the news... again:

Graphene tech: What if five minutes were enough to charge your battery?
("Catalan startup Earthdas says its graphene battery charges 12 times faster than lithium-based tech."):
https://www.zdnet.com/article/graphene-tech-what-if-five-minutes-were-enough-to-charge-your-battery/

Includes/Ends:
Terradas is aware that things are moving fast and that's why Earthdas plans to invest €800,000 ($930,000) in R&D over the next three years.

Hehe... Going up against Samsung and their graphene "Buckyballs"/Fullerene-style carbon spheres, carbon nanotubes et al.:
(Seen in ES Newz:)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=57256&p=1338204#p1338173

the nature paper cited by the samsung study with the use of graphene is very impressive (link: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-017-01823-7). but the main problems that graphene is good at solving is 1. electrical conductivity and 2. mechanical integrity. in the case of the NCM material being studied in the nature paper, the main goal is #1. That said, if you try to charge that battery at 10C, you'd only get 2/3 the battery capacity than if you charged at 1C or below. more importantly, one needs to consider the charging capability of the graphite anode electrodes, which at any commercial scale aerial capacity, will start to plate lithium at anything above 3C.

the fundamental problem that prevents fast charging is ionic conductivity, which as of right now, nobody really has an answer for. if you want to charge batteries fast, you need to figure out ways to transport lithium ions faster through the active material. otherwise, just be happy with the 3C charging.

LockH said:
Graphene Battery for Electric Bikes That Charges in Five Minutes
I am underwhelmed. We did a demo that charged a cellphone battery in 90 seconds about ten years back. It took 110 amps to do it, of course. The key to this were some A123 cells that could handle a 50C charge/100C discharge rate.

Sounds cool but I think for it to really hit the ground running, you would at least need a lower setting for charging so you could switch to either one due to the lack of 40 amp+ breakers/outlets.

Would be awesome if there was a 5 min @40 amp mode and a 20-40 min mode for 15 amp breakers/outlets or however the math works out so long as the lower mode is safe on a 15 amp breaker.

^^ Hehe... Seems like *something" is "in the works". :wink: Myself, still a fan of the slower charge and the fast battery swap. :mrgreen:

Charging a 100kW battery in 5 min takes 1.2 megawatt of power (for 5 minutes) or about 3200A at 380, split over 3 phases that still means 1kA per phase. That alone makes it a joke.

flippy said:
Charging a 100kW battery in 5 min takes 1.2 megawatt of power (for 5 minutes) or about 3200A at 380, split over 3 phases that still means 1kA per phase. That alone makes it a joke.

Yup. This is what I always find hilarious whenever the internet starts having joygasms about a press release like this. No matter what, you're not getting around the fact that you have to transfer a very large amount of energy, very quickly, without breaking things/people.

It's sorta like the kind of hysteria you'd get whenever 3D printing came up, before they got cheap enough for everybody to get one. Usually from people that have never seen/held a printed part, or had any idea how long a print takes.

^^ Hehe... ESB "Search found 1 match: joygasms"... :lol:

... but you might agree, watt the fastest "recharge" is just to swap batteries? Were I King, my town would be scattered with battery exchange outlets... a network of bike shops, etc that'd let folks exchange their tired batts for freshies. :) Hehe... G'Luck coming up with some "generic"/standardized battery chemistry and format. :lol:

why bother with all that? i drive a tesla regularly and have done for the past 5+ years. using the (super)chargers is no different then finding cheap gas stations and the satnav even plans the route for you. and people bitching about range and charging time need to shut the f up. fun fact: the people that complain the hardest about charge times dont drive EV's and never have.
people dont seem to grasp the idea that you NEVER have to go to a petrol station ever again exept to take a piss or buy a overpriced snack.
last time i drove the model s i went to austria, a 1100km trip one way. i NEVER had range issues or had the feeling the charging was slowing me down. over that trip that i often took in the past i used basically the same time as i always did with a petrol car, there was zero difference, prehaps 30 minutes because i ate curry the night before and needed some longer stops. :mrgreen:
taking 40~50 min breaks every 4 hours or so is perfectly fine and usually i take more stops if i happen to see a supercharger on the way and need to take a piss. i notice that at my age my bladder gives up way before the car does. also 45 min breaks every 4 hours is also a legal requirement for professional/commerical drivers so there is that. but autopilot does most of the work on such trips so its debatable. :mrgreen:

shit, if i could afford a model S or X i would instantly buy one, even secondhand. never having to pay for electricity on long trips? sign me up right now. last trip was 2400km and cost exactly 0 euro's in fuel. just 5.50 euro in sanifair toilet tickets at the autohof and a unhealty amount of snacks. :mrgreen:

why wait for "the next big thing"? it's already here. especially if they bring the 200kWh battery to the S and X you have zero reasons not to buy one (exept cost) as you drive for nearly free.

Back